What Did You Do With Your Guitar(s) Today?

Sudden change of gears a lil bit, picked up a somewhat last minute show this Saturday. Have an hour and a half set. My band hasn’t all been in the same room in like a month though. Been jamming with my drummer a lot this past week, probably will only have one or 2 practices with our bass player before the show though. We’ve mostly just been working on new material and prepping for recording the past couple months so dusting the cobwebs off a lot of our songs

Should be a good time tho

Always interested in hearing a Suhr Pickup breakdown. :unsure: I also have a Marshallhead I have yet to
install in a guitar. I need some crappy tones to be plagued by so I can get busy. :LOL:
I've heard good things about the Marshallheads. Let us know how it turns out.

I know @Jarick has experience with one, too, which is why I mentioned. I like a slightly
overwound PAF vibe. Just not sure what guitar needs it, or it would work best in? LP?
HSS Strat? :idk

I know @Jarick has experience with one, too, which is why I mentioned. I like a slightly
overwound PAF vibe. Just not sure what guitar needs it, or it would work best in? LP?
LP is the usual call but I can see one in a HSS Strat as well. The question is would the volume difference between the Marshallhead and the Strat's single coils be too large or not?

Good point. The dreaded HSS malady rears its head again! :LOL:

I may end up putting it into a Flying V with a Duncan '59 in the Neck.

Sometimes it is more fun to think about doing than to actually do. :bonk :rofl

Always interested in hearing a Suhr Pickup breakdown. :unsure: I also have a Marshallhead I have yet to
install in a guitar. I need some crappy tones to be plagued by so I can get busy. :LOL:

Here's my best shot:

For humbuckers:

Thornbuckers are a good modern PAF. Underwound A5 neck and overwound A4 bridge. The neck has the clarity and juicy response of an early PAF and the bridge has got a little more heat and a little smoother high end to avoid the excess brightness that sometimes happens. Works really well with single coils too. Plus model has just a little more output good for playing with gain.

SSV's are pretty close sounding, a little more output on the neck which gives a little fuller lows and the bridge has A5 so again a little more highs and lows compared to the TB. These would be good in thinner body or bolt on guitars that need a little more push. SSV+ is overwound and has more upper midrange push, I wasn't as much of a fan but it wasn't night and day from other bridge options.

Woodbucker is a medium output A2 bridge pickup (haven't used the neck), uses 43ga wire instead of 42ga so there's more turns for more resistance, more output than PAF, but not overwound so it's not overly compressed like super hot pickups. I'll need more time with it but it seems similar to the Duncan Custom Custom, which isn't surprising as Andy is a huge EVH guy. It's got good dynamics and is a little warmer, fatter, and has more push.

SSH I only used briefly and I can't recall the tone much. I think it's very similar to the Woodbucker but with an A5 magnet, so guessing it's a tiny bit hotter with fuller lows and a little more attack. I haven't used the SSH+ yet.

Aldrich is a really hot pickup, basically an overwound SSH+ and SSV set. I found it to be overly hot and compressed almost like running my guitar through an overdrive pedal that you can't turn off. Now they would clean up better than a lot of hot pickups, but I've never been a fan of really hot pickups especially in the neck position where it gets really muddy. I got them cheap and let them go for cheap quickly.

For single coils:

V63's are a really good all around Strat pickup, just a classic 60's Strat tone. V60LP roll off the high end a bit and have an overwound bridge and I am using those in my Strat, really good if you don't like bright thin Strats or if you want to mix singles in an HSS guitar. ML's are overwound with a little more midrange push, I didn't like them in my Strat but in my Ibanez it works well with a Thornbucker+ bridge.

For Teles, the Classic T set has a hotter bridge with the high end rolled off a bit, which is really good for rock. It's not anything like a humbucker but it's not the super bright vintage twang thing. The neck pickup is on the warmer side but not bad. I'd be curious to try the Asato neck pickup which seems more like a Strat style.

I've had a couple Marshallheads and have one in my LP now along with the Dr Vintage neck. They are cool PAF's, not a world away from the Thornbucker set, maybe a little less of a smooth and refined tone? I dig that they are unpotted too. Easy to change magnets and max clarity.

The one issue I have with those is sometimes overwound PAF's at 9k and up can get overly midrangey, especially in the upper mids. If you combine that with an A5 magnet it can get too harsh. So using A2 or A4 may be better here. That's like the Thornbucker+ and Thornbucker II pickups.

My Marshallhead I think I put A4 magnets in that and the Dr Vintage neck. It's a little more vintage vibe. I had a set of BKP Mules that sounded amazing with A4 magnets and similar DC readings. I'd also be curious to try the Legend set.

Here's where I have mine:

Classic T set in my Tele
V60LP set in my Strat
Thornbucker+ and ML neck/middle in my HSS Ibanez AZ
SSV set in my PRS S2 Standard (D standard)
Woodbucker + Thornbucker set in my PRS CE24

For a LP I'd probably do the Thornbucker set
HSS guitar depends on how how you want the bridge, V60LP neck/middle with TB, TB+, or SSV would be good unless you want to go hotter
Still curious about trying an SSV/SSH+ set for modern stuff!

Also honestly don't forget the tone of the guitar. I've had the same pickups in different guitars and the tone can be quite different.

My Strat has more top end so I need warmer pickups there...my PRS CE is a little thinner sounding so hotter pickups work...my Les Paul has lots of low end so underwound pickups work here....etc.

Here's my best shot:

For humbuckers:

Thornbuckers are a good modern PAF. Underwound A5 neck and overwound A4 bridge. The neck has the clarity and juicy response of an early PAF and the bridge has got a little more heat and a little smoother high end to avoid the excess brightness that sometimes happens. Works really well with single coils too. Plus model has just a little more output good for playing with gain.

SSV's are pretty close sounding, a little more output on the neck which gives a little fuller lows and the bridge has A5 so again a little more highs and lows compared to the TB. These would be good in thinner body or bolt on guitars that need a little more push. SSV+ is overwound and has more upper midrange push, I wasn't as much of a fan but it wasn't night and day from other bridge options.

Woodbucker is a medium output A2 bridge pickup (haven't used the neck), uses 43ga wire instead of 42ga so there's more turns for more resistance, more output than PAF, but not overwound so it's not overly compressed like super hot pickups. I'll need more time with it but it seems similar to the Duncan Custom Custom, which isn't surprising as Andy is a huge EVH guy. It's got good dynamics and is a little warmer, fatter, and has more push.

SSH I only used briefly and I can't recall the tone much. I think it's very similar to the Woodbucker but with an A5 magnet, so guessing it's a tiny bit hotter with fuller lows and a little more attack. I haven't used the SSH+ yet.

Aldrich is a really hot pickup, basically an overwound SSH+ and SSV set. I found it to be overly hot and compressed almost like running my guitar through an overdrive pedal that you can't turn off. Now they would clean up better than a lot of hot pickups, but I've never been a fan of really hot pickups especially in the neck position where it gets really muddy. I got them cheap and let them go for cheap quickly.

For single coils:

V63's are a really good all around Strat pickup, just a classic 60's Strat tone. V60LP roll off the high end a bit and have an overwound bridge and I am using those in my Strat, really good if you don't like bright thin Strats or if you want to mix singles in an HSS guitar. ML's are overwound with a little more midrange push, I didn't like them in my Strat but in my Ibanez it works well with a Thornbucker+ bridge.

For Teles, the Classic T set has a hotter bridge with the high end rolled off a bit, which is really good for rock. It's not anything like a humbucker but it's not the super bright vintage twang thing. The neck pickup is on the warmer side but not bad. I'd be curious to try the Asato neck pickup which seems more like a Strat style.

You da man! :beer

I have had the Aldrich Sig Pups and they were too sizzly for me, and didn't get as
good of cleanup and volume roll off as an SD JB did. So? :idk

I think I'd like the Woodbucker. :love

I also have a set of Mateus Aasato Sig Tele pickups I have yet to put into a Tele. :facepalm

You da man! :beer

I have had the Aldrich Sig Pups and they were too sizzly for me, and didn't get as
good of cleanup and volume roll off as an SD JB did. So? :idk

I think I'd like the Woodbucker. :love

I also have a set of Mateus Aasato Sig Tele pickups I have yet to put into a Tele. :facepalm
I like sizzle! I'm prob on the fringe for tones though, lmao.

Learned Shakedown Street this evening for a “super jam” thing with the guitar players of all the bands after everyone’s sets at tomorrows gig

Rare occasion as I basically never learn covers :LOL:

That's the only Dead song I've ever learned too. A local band I play with from time to time only do covers but it's a crazy eclectic set. They do Sly and The Family Stone, Tool, Grateful Dead, RATM, Tupac, Fun Lovin Criminals and a whole bunch of crazy shit. They're an absolute blast to play with.

More time with the Woodbucker, now I'm hearing a bit more of a mismatch between it and the Thornbucker. It's not bad but it's a different vibe. The TB neck has a lot of snap in the high where the Woody is more mid heavy. Makes me want to try the matching humbucker in the neck which is an A2 PAF style. And then put the Thornbucker set in my other PRS which is a little darker.

That's the only Dead song I've ever learned too. A local band I play with from time to time only do covers but it's a crazy eclectic set. They do Sly and The Family Stone, Tool, Grateful Dead, RATM, Tupac, Fun Lovin Criminals and a whole bunch of crazy shit. They're an absolute blast to play with.

Sounds like a good time!!

Back