What Did You Do With Your Guitar(s) Today?

Yeah, I thought those were pretty cool!

I love purple and was thinking about purple hardware but I just didn't think that would work with this nice wood.

So it's getting all raw aluminum (brushed control plate) with brass saddles, brass knobs and switch, nickel neck plate and tuners with amber buttons.

Body and neck from Musikraft.

I've got several weeks to wait for all the parts, but trying to be patient :D
Raw aluminum is a good choice. Purple might be cool if you had a solid color body with a nice contrast.
Good luck with the build!

last night I used a gnat sized dremel razor ball to remove 1/4 inch of wood off the neck tenon under the pickup of a LTD EC-1000 evertune to make room for the cables to get a EMG 89 to sit flush with the pickup ring. then I leaned how to play laid to rest after...um. 20 years. :rawk

Picked up a Suhr Woodbucker bridge pickup for my PRS CE24. Currently have Thornbuckers but want something hotter in the bridge. Found this one mint for half price figured give it a shot. Looks like an SSH with alnico 2, 43ga wire wound to 13k.
Ive found a new Appreciation for AlNiCo IV with low/Med output Pickups compared to my AlNiCo V that was in my Revstar Prior, the 4 is so much nicer in the mids, much easier to produce better Harmonics (think STP/Dean Deleo) and the OD sounds awesome

Ive found a new Appreciation for AlNiCo IV with low/Med output Pickups compared to my AlNiCo V that was in my Revstar Prior, the 4 is so much nicer in the mids, much easier to produce better Harmonics (think STP/Dean Deleo) and the OD sounds awesome

Big fan of the alnico iv paf style pickups in my prs. I had alnico v in them originally but it was a bit harsh, switching to alnico iv made them a little more balanced.

Doing a string change and some adjustments.
image.jpg

I spent some time practicing using my Strat and the Micro Cube/Presonus Eris 4.5 rig. Clean Jazz tone with no effects and just a dash of reverb.

Time well spent, that rig keeps me honest. Worked on fundamentals and a new composition.

Had "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" stuck in my head when I woke up, so decided to properly learn it. Strat sounded alright, but too stringy for the solo parts. Decided to get out the Les Paul which I have a love/hate relationship. Today it's absolutely killing it. With the neck volume down it's perfect for lead lines, and then flipping to the bridge on full volume and tone rolled off for the more aggressive parts.

I've fought with the muddy neck pickup / bright bridge thing on this guitar and rolled through a lot of pickups, but right now it's in a great spot. I have a set of Wolfetones in there, Dr Vintage (underwound PAF) neck and Marshallhead (overwound PAF) bridge. I think I swapped the magnets out for alnico 4's but can't recall. Just sounds fantastic running into the Quad Cortex with a Marshall 2203 and a little reverb.

Unfortunately there's some issues going on with the pots again. I just replaced all four pots and rewired it a couple months ago. This seems to happen with this guitar constantly, and only with this guitar. It's also really noisy and always has been. So I may rip everything out and give it the full copper shielding and put it back and see what happens.

Edit: it might have been the treble bleed shorting out on a wire. Took the cover off and fiddled with that, now it seems rock solid again. Fingers crossed. Stupid guitar.

One more thing on the treble bleed. I know everyone loves 50's wiring. A good treble bleed circuit to me is a lot more useful. This guitar cleans up a lot better and avoids the low end mud in the neck.

Last edited:
Last night I was curious about a riff in Mastodon's "Oblivion", once I learned it I just started learning the rest of it even though that wasn't the intention. Now that I've learned it I'm tempted to bang out a quick cover. I've got a few hours to kill before Hagar/Satch tonight!

Initiated a conversation with Tom Anderson about getting my Angel neck profile shaved from Even Taper to -.20" like my Drop Top, which is perfect.

Trading emails with Tom on a Sunday - that's customer service!

F14F64FC-BE05-4632-9038-9811CA8C02AB.png

Funny that both pictures I posted (from the sellers) are both in front of a fireplace! :)

Busy day today.. I put my @1 on the bench for a long over due cleaning, fretboard cleaning, fret polishing, string change and set up. I used this instrument for 90% of the 2 Ariel's Attic albums

Attachments

• IMG_1316(1).JPG
    IMG_1316(1).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1317.JPG
    IMG_1317.JPG
    651.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1318.JPG
    IMG_1318.JPG
    617.1 KB · Views: 17
Back