What Did You Do With Your Guitar(s) Today?

7DE5882D-C129-4C92-979A-BC28439ADF91.jpeg

Set went pretty good overall. Totally botched a debut of a new tune but otherwise good vibes and jams. First show with the mark V. Easily the best live tone I’ve ever had :love

I bought this Gibby CS ES-339 new about 14 years ago. It's on my never sell list of guitars. It always gives inspiration. Today, I gave it some love back with an all over polish and new D'Addario XL 10 strings.

Now, I'm using it for the last song for my new album. I'm very excited for the album release next month. It's my most ambitious and crazy piece of work I've ever done.

rs=w:1440,h:1440

… I've fought with the muddy neck pickup / bright bridge thing on this guitar and rolled through a lot of pickups …
I went through the same thing with my P90 Les Paul. Tried other pickups and it always just had too much boominess in the neck pickup no matter how I’d adjust its height. I ended up trying the de-mud mod by putting a .047 capacitor in series with the pickup and its now balanced between the two pickups with the pickup at the correct height for the tone.

Swapped EMG SLV/SA/SLV pickups out for EMG H4A/S3/S3 pickups. Definitely digging the guitar a lot more now with these pickups and the EXG+SPC controls.

Swapped out the pickups in a guitar, moved them to a new pickguard (SSS to HSS) and I am dealing with a fucking FUN intermittant issue. Replaced all of the other wiring I could, but still bullshit. Hopefully either the pickup selector or the output jack is going out. I am replacing them in a few days when the wiring comes in.

Of course this all occurs A F T E R I go through all of the trouble of taking it apart, swapping, testing, putting it all back together, and get close to all the way finished tuning because having intermittant issues with it going in and out.

If this doesn't work, I'm going to toss it in the trash. All of it. And other guitars that make me have to troubleshoot shit is going as well. I'm over it, and I don't want to troubleshoot shit in my hobby that I have to do at work. I will not troubleshoot anymore.

Man I feel you it’s so annoying having to fix wiring crap. One time I decided to get a solderless harness because I didn’t want to screw up again and I had to troubleshoot and fix bad soldering out of the factory lol

Man I feel you it’s so annoying having to fix wiring crap. One time I decided to get a solderless harness because I didn’t want to screw up again and I had to troubleshoot and fix bad soldering out of the factory lol
Lame. I would've demanded half my money back.

If it isn't the input jack (I doubt it), or the 5 way selector switch (possibly?), then I'm pretty much out of ideas. It is not a specific pickup, nor is it the volume pot (I tried a different one).

Been a good 2 days on the Pickup front. Yesterday fell into an Al Di Meola Sig Dimarzio,
and then today stumbled across a Dimarzio Dreamcatcher Petrucci Sig in my Reverb Feed.

Been hunting one in the right colour for months. Schwiiing!! Going in one of my Charvels,
which has the White PUs. :chef

1721840505149.png

Been a good 2 days on the Pickup front. Yesterday fell into an Al Di Meola Sig Dimarzio,
and then today stumbled across a Dimarzio Dreamcatcher Petrucci Sig in my Reverb Feed.

Been hunting one in the right colour for months. Schwiiing!! Going in one of my Charvels,
which has the White PUs. :chef

View attachment 25550
mr bean bravo GIF

I think you're going to love this one, excellent choice!

Possibly you should play them as I do, just 'partially shred' - and they may work better for you?? :unsure:

:sofa
Actually have never played "Full Shreds" so I have no real comments, lmao.

Seth Meyers Shred GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Been wanting to swap them for a while, but waited for the right moment.

Can't be upsetting the Fabric of the Universe with inappropriate color mismatching
and all that sort of stuff. Excited about both of them. :pickle:banana:banana:banana:pickle

Removing the stranger's grime from an orphan S5570Q that I have happily adopted into my life
View attachment 25622

And never forget, my friends, that tone is in the lube. THE POWER OF LUBE
View attachment 25626

Isn't she beauty?
View attachment 25625
You know, I've got many, many guitars with double locking FR type of bridges and never once have I applied lube to the fine tuners (in decades of use), and almost never on the knife edges or posts.

I use it on non-locking but never had a need on locking...

You know, I've got many, many guitars with double locking FR type of bridges and never once have I applied lube to the fine tuners (in decades of use), and almost never on the knife edges or posts.

I just put a drop of fretboard oil or any light oil on any pivot points. Probably placebo, but I think it makes a trem feel smoother, especially a six-screw Strat bridge.

The drawback is that it may attract dust, dirt, or something abrasive, which could potentially cause wear.

Got to keep those areas clean. Just add it to routine maintenance.

I use it on the trem edges / posts because it is a point of friction. On the fine tuning screws because when they age they are not smooth. At this second hand guitar the micro-tuners were quite stuck at some points, even though everything looks like new. Now they turn smoothly all the way up and down.

Sex Ed Hannah GIF by HannahWitton

Dry synthetic lubricant does not attract dust or grime.

Last edited:
Back