What Did You Do With Your Guitar(s) Today?

Spa day for the Orville. It was in need of a string change and I never actually set it up in D-standard, I just threw heavier strings on it a few months back so I figured I'd get it set up correctly. Wanted to try top-wrapping this one, I'm on the fence with it on my Edwards. Man, that G-string really takes a hit with tension, but I love it with the other strings.

View attachment 24087
View attachment 24088

There's a certain unplugged/acoustic sound Les Pauls get when the setup is just right where it comes alive, I'm assuming it's just that relationship of string tension/nut height/action, but once ya get it and the thing sings without being plugged in, it's goooood.

What string gauge do you use for d standard?

I'm a goldtop man but honestly that's a really good looking les paul.

What string gauge do you use for d standard?

I'm a goldtop man but honestly that's a really good looking les paul.

10-52's. I might try a higher gauge for the g-string because that fucker is just a floppin', but everything else perfect. I've been using this gauge for D-standard/drop C for the last 22 years or so, but on 25.5" guitars, there's definitely some differences.

10-52's. I might try a higher gauge for the g-string because that fucker is just a floppin', but everything else perfect. I've been using this gauge for D-standard/drop C for the last 22 years or so, but on 25.5" guitars, there's definitely some differences.

Wow I thought you were gonna say 12s for tuning down to drop c on a 24.75 scale. I'd definitely go up a size or two on the g string if you're top wrapping.

So far I've looked at them. I just might get the chance to play one today but my oldest daughter has had focused dance rehearsals all this week leading up to her triple performance this weekend and tonight is show #2.

Recorded the main riff from "Killing Is My Business" and went to wanktown.

Last edited:
I've been playing with the Freeway Blade 10 position switch that I installed few years ago on a Strat, but I forgot about it.

I can't emphasize enough how much I love it! every extra permutation gives a completely different flavor when playing with a clean or edge-to-bake amp.

I specially love 5B with the Mid-Neck pickups in series. It is completely different to the standard fourth position quacking Strat. It is smooth like a neck humbucker, but when I compare it with my other guitars with a neck humbucker it has a special singing tone. Like a humbucker, but with discreet bits of single-coil crispiness.

I am using Seymour Duncan SSL-5 bridge and fender CS fat 50 Mid and Neck.

1718603453923.jpeg

1718603652573.png

I am using Seymour Duncan SSL-5 bridge and fender CS fat 50 Mid and Neck.
Tell me about the SSL-5 over the Fat 50’s bridge pickup. How does it compare, and how does it fare in position 2 in regards to “quack?”

Tell me about the SSL-5 over the Fat 50’s bridge pickup. How does it compare, and how does it fare in position 2 in regards to “quack?”

Totally like this:

Playing through a Trainwreck Liverpool with low-gain settings (on the AXE-FX, I'm not rich :grin) and a 2x12 1965 Fender Bassman cab miked with a R-121 and a SM7B I would say that I even get more harmonics, artifact nuances and egde-to-break fun than what I perceive listening to that record.

Last edited:
I use a SSL-6 (same as 5 but flat pole pieces) with pure vintage 59s in my American Special/Parts build and they’re stellar. Excellent quack in position 2 and I don’t feel I’m missing anything. Position 1 also has a little fatter midrange to it. That’s my go to Strat for a lot of stuff.

I use a SSL-6 (same as 5 but flat pole pieces) with pure vintage 59s in my American Special/Parts build and they’re stellar. Excellent quack in position 2 and I don’t feel I’m missing anything. Position 1 also has a little fatter midrange to it. That’s my go to Strat for a lot of stuff.
I've got them (SSL-6) in my HSS DK-24 USA and MIM and put them into my Kiesel Delos as well.

I really like them!

For some reason it won’t let me watch that video. It’s saying “Video unavailable. The uploader has not made this video available in your country.”

It is Dire Straits "Once Upon a Time in the West" from the studio album Communiqué

Not my guitar, but I loaded two Marshall G12 Vintage speakers that seem to basically be brand new into my empty (now half empty) Mojotone British 412. Now to decide what speakers to pair with it.

Anyone have any ideas on wiring the two speakers currently in their in parallel (so two 16ohm speakers = 8ohm total) with only a single wire from the input jack's tip and sleeve each?
What @FuzzyAce said, but if you want to understand how loads work wrt speaker configurations, just D/L any Mesa Boogie owner's manual, and in the back they explain it all: series, parallel, and series-parallel.

Since having my Strat re-radiused from 7-1/4” to 9-1/2”, I’m finding it very difficult impossible to get these Fat 50’s dialed in. The vintage magnet stagger is keeping me from getting the pickups where I prefer them without severe Stratitis on the G string.

So I’m ripping them out and throwing them up on Reverb.

I now have a set of Lollar Blondes with a Special bridge and flat poles on the way. :wat

Back