What are we watching now?

Lots of good performances, excellent "period accurate" sets - to whatever extent you can differentiate '80s LA from 2020's anywhere else. :D

I started watching "BEEF" on NetFlix on the treadmill yesterday. Wasn't expecting much ("oh boy, another road rage story") but I'm 3 episodes in already and I'm hooked. The writing is smart, the acting is superb. Not sure where it's headed but so far so good.

EDIT: Aaaaaaand apparently there's a big scandal involving a cast member (David Choe) that I didn't know about until 5 seconds ago. Because of course there is. Ah well, I still like the show. Including his performance. So far.
I like Ali Wong and Steven Yeun (sp?). I would have watched it already if it was a movie but wasn't sure I wanted to get into another series? I will put it on the list.

I like Ali Wong and Steven Yeun (sp?). I would have watched it already if it was a movie but wasn't sure I wanted to get into another series? I will put it on the list.
I couldn't think of anything else to watch and the trailer was too short, so I just pressed play LOL. Roped me right in. If yesterday's (uncharacteristic) binge is any indication, 10 episodes are going to fly right by.

I just rewatched Cabin in the Woods along with my wife who has never seen it. We were cracking up the whole time. Great blend of horror and comedy.

I couldn't think of anything else to watch and the trailer was too short, so I just pressed play LOL. Roped me right in. If yesterday's (uncharacteristic) binge is any indication, 10 episodes are going to fly right by.
So we started this later last night. 4 episodes in. It is great. Wong and Yeun(?) are great but so are the actors playing his brother and cousing as well as he husband. Really the whole cast. I wasn't aware that it was A24 produced but a few of the visuals and a certain scene with her quiet fetish rang true to the A24 style without being as usually 'OH MY GOD LOOK HOW ELEVATED AND ARTHOUSE WE ARE" as they tend to be. They should lean into that bit of normalcy more, I think. Great series and looking forward to seeing what is next. I haven't looked up what I am supposed to be outraged about on whoever in the cast so not sure on that end :rofl¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So we started this later last night. 4 episodes in. It is great. Wong and Yeun(?) are great but so are the actors playing his brother and cousing as well as he husband. Really the whole cast. I wasn't aware that it was A24 produced but a few of the visuals and a certain scene with her quiet fetish rang true to the A24 style without being as usually 'OH MY GOD LOOK HOW ELEVATED AND ARTHOUSE WE ARE" as they tend to be. They should lean into that bit of normalcy more, I think. Great series and looking forward to seeing what is next. I haven't looked up what I am supposed to be outraged about on whoever in the cast so not sure on that end :rofl¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cool! Glad to hear it's resonating for you, as it did for me. I was initially worried the (half) hyper-yuppie vibe might sour it for me, but it's so smartly executed. The cast is great, and there are so many insightful little details in the sets and the passing dialog. "I have pictures of my mother sitting naked in that chair!" :oops::rofl The overall situational construct of "deeply unhappy major loser collides with deeply unhappy major winner" is a perfect hook. No matter where you personally fall on that totem pole, there's something to identify with, and something to be curious about.

Naturally, I have no idea what A24 is. Off to the Googles with me.

EhmgjshWsAMNq8l.jpg

P.S. OK, Everything Everywhere All At Once... got it.

I’m rewatching Orphan Black. Tatiana Maslaney kills it in this, about 14x over. I honestly forget that I’m watching the same person when she’s doing scenes with herself. Story is pretty great and all the main actors really do a great job, aside from a couple cops who feel like outsiders the whole time, maybe it was intentional. As with most shows that start off pretty intense and/or have several simultaneous storylines, it hits some cheese/jumps shark on occasion but usually dials itself back with the main plot. Kinda like a video game; some side missions aren’t nearly as fun as the main story.
My wife and I just finished rewatching Orphan Black a few months ago. We went on a 00s nostalgia binge, rewatching that, Fringe and Battlestar Galactica.

I haven't looked up what I am supposed to be outraged about on whoever in the cast so not sure on that end
From what I gather, David Choe (the cousin) went on a podcast or something and detailed having sexually assaulted a massage therapist? And then he double-backed and tried to frame the whole thing as a tortured work of fiction, but neither gave anyone much reason to believe that, nor quite apologized for any of it? I guess? :idk

As "PR" it makes him sound like a sketchy thug. He's certainly perfectly cast for his part?

My wife and I just finished rewatching Orphan Black a few months ago. We went on a 00s nostalgia binge, rewatching that, Fringe and Battlestar Galactica.

I’ve been debating going for another Fringe watch lately. I really dug that show and it was the best sci-fi for a regular show after Lost for me. I remember I stopped watching for a while, can’t remember if it jumped shark a bit or just wasn’t moving fast enough for me, but I jumped back in for the last season or so and thought they did a good job at bringing it back to life.

I continuously forget how good Orphan Black remained throughout the 5 seasons. They keep enough mystery and craziness involved without the main plot jumping shark too far.

I’ve been debating going for another Fringe watch lately. I really dug that show and it was the best sci-fi for a regular show after Lost for me. I remember I stopped watching for a while, can’t remember if it jumped shark a bit or just wasn’t moving fast enough for me, but I jumped back in for the last season or so and thought they did a good job at bringing it back to life.

I continuously forget how good Orphan Black remained throughout the 5 seasons. They keep enough mystery and craziness involved without the main plot jumping shark too far.
I like the actress on Orphan Black. I watched a few episodes years ago and it was solid. She was on the first season of Perry Mason as a religious icon for some fundamentalist church. I was super conflicted because she did a good job with it but I thought her character and the sidetrack that ran along with her was NOT a good add to the overall story.

I like the actress on Orphan Black. I watched a few episodes years ago and it was solid. She was on the first season of Perry Mason as a religious icon for some fundamentalist church. I was super conflicted because she did a good job with it but I thought her character and the sidetrack that ran along with her was NOT a good add to the overall story.

Some actors can’t save a bad story. I attempted to watch She-Hulk because of her but that’s a nope from me, dawg!

Both Fringe and BSG suffered from scheduling shenanigans when they first aired, so it was nice to be able to watch both straight through without long delays or interruptions. IIRC, Fox promised two more seasons to Fringe and then yanked one, so they had to condense a multi-year plot arc into a single season. I think they managed to pull it off, though. Walter Bishop is one of my all-time favorite television characters.

Both Fringe and BSG suffered from scheduling shenanigans when they first aired, so it was nice to be able to watch both straight through without long delays or interruptions. IIRC, Fox promised two more seasons to Fringe and then yanked one, so they had to condense a multi-year plot arc into a single season. I think they managed to pull it off, though. Walter Bishop is one of my all-time favorite television characters.

Walter was GREAT!

I thought there was something along the lines of that, a gap in seasons, that’s probably what I’m remembering as a lull or a speed issue. Wasn’t there was writer’s strike at the time or something?

I got really excited when I found Counterpart on Prime last year, very similar stories with the whole other-world co-existing in another dimension thing, but that got cancelled, too. It’s still worth the watch if you haven’t seen it, if I remember right they were able to wrap it all up by the end.

^The Fringe was kinda awesome. I binged watched that some years back. Walter was a great character, really made the show. I think they ended the series pretty well considering all the different storylines that were tied in.

Catching up on this show, because I’m an aerospace nerd:

Back