What are we watching now?

What a coinkidink - this showed up in my inbox this morning. Mention of Adaptation and everything. Not exactly a film that comes up in daily conversation 20+ years after the fact.

What a coinkidink - this showed up in my inbox this morning. Mention of Adaptation and everything. Not exactly a film that comes up in daily conversation 20+ years after the fact.

I love adaptation!

We saw The Bike Riders in the theater last night. No spoilers: That was a perfect movie. Everything about it was great, the directing, the acting, the writing, the editing, the choice of music. Everything was great. I love this director, Jeff Nichols, and for a while I've felt the most hope for him as an American director who's putting out work I really admire and respect. This just felt so real and good. It was able to be funny but completely fucked up too. My wife kept seeing elements of The Coen Brothers, and I kept seeing elements of Scorsese, but really the directing just felt original, and great.

Tom Hardy was hardcore channeling Marlon Brando at his best, and it was incredible. He might be the most interesting actor working today, in my book. He managed to be warm and menacing at the same time. Austin Butler was great, just cool as hell and internalized in the best ways.

But the person who most stole the show was Jodie Comer. She was incredible in every single way. Her emotions were readily available every second, with a ton of nuance, Meryl Streep style, but also with sass and guff Joan Blondell style, and also the greatest old Chicago accent that felt completely real and would take a ton of work to pull of for a gal from Liverpool. She blew my fucking mind.

The thing about Jeff Nichols is, I've seen all but one of his movies now (Loving, which I need to see soon), and his actors always have warmth and character, while viscerally putting across their emotions. At the end of the movie my wife said he was like a combination of Coppola's best work in the 70s, Scorsese at his best, and The Coen Brothers. I don't see The Coen Brothers so much, but I agree with the first two!

We saw The Bike Riders in the theater last night. No spoilers: That was a perfect movie. Everything about it was great, the directing, the acting, the writing, the editing, the choice of music. Everything was great. I love this director, Jeff Nichols, and for a while I've felt the most hope for him as an American director who's putting out work I really admire and respect. This just felt so real and good. It was able to be funny but completely fucked up too. My wife kept seeing elements of The Coen Brothers, and I kept seeing elements of Scorsese, but really the directing just felt original, and great.

Tom Hardy was hardcore channeling Marlon Brando at his best, and it was incredible. He might be the most interesting actor working today, in my book. He managed to be warm and menacing at the same time. Austin Butler was great, just cool as hell and internalized in the best ways.

But the person who most stole the show was Jodie Comer. She was incredible in every single way. Her emotions were readily available every second, with a ton of nuance, Meryl Streep style, but also with sass and guff Joan Blondell style, and also the greatest old Chicago accent that felt completely real and would take a ton of work to pull of for a gal from Liverpool. She blew my fucking mind.

The thing about Jeff Nichols is, I've seen all but one of his movies now (Loving, which I need to see soon), and his actors always have warmth and character, while viscerally putting across their emotions. At the end of the movie my wife said he was like a combination of Coppola's best work in the 70s, Scorsese at his best, and The Coen Brothers. I don't see The Coen Brothers so much, but I agree with the first two!
Saw the trailer for that one and was moderately intrigued. I might have found an activity for Friday then!

Saw the trailer for that one and was moderately intrigued. I might have found an activity for Friday then!

Yeah Dude, my wife and have talked so many times today about how great it was. You just don't see that much great acting in films these days. It's kind of like seeing a golden age 70s film.

Last night we watched Jeff Nichols' first movie, Shotgun Stories. This guy is the director of The Bikeriders, which was so good it made my wife and me want to rewatch all of his films. We had seen all of them except Loving. I had forgotten a bunch about Shotgun Stories, just that I thought it was incredible. And the one thing I did remember was correct; it is incredible. The directing is absolutely the best. I couldn't get over the framing of the shots, now it made everything feel like you're watching a work of art. I could go on for a long while about everything that's incredible about this film, but I'll just say, Jeff Nichols is an original talent of a director, and Michael Shannon is an original talent of an actor.

We watched Manhunter last night. I think this makes the millionth viewing for me. I've always loved this film. It's in my wife's top three, with Munich and To Live And Die In LA. William L Peterson is incredible in this film; it kills me that he only has one other performance at this calibur (To Live And Die In LA). This film is just special. The level of intensity and balls is out of this world. The side conversation between the Atlanta police and FBI guys is one of the best scenes in any movie; the level of badass feel, line delivery, and naked hatred is truly marvelous.

There are many versions of this film, like most of Michael Mann's. He edits each release a little differently, which drives me nuts, because he'll cut great lines, like the detritus line in Heat, or the line about empathizing with the abused child who became a serial killer in Manhunter, with the best reaction ever from Dennis Farina. I own two or three versions on disc, but we opted for the version currently streaming on The Criterion Channel. I think the Shout Factory Blu Ray director's cut has all the parts I love best, so I prefer that.

Anyway, substantively, the great thing about the film is the level of skill and feel of the FBI agents. Every one of them is portrayed as a competent expert, with the main character utterly obsessive about the excellence in his job, profiling killers. It's just that element of Michael Mann that is so loveable, his elevation of those who value excellence in their work. God I love it.

1721116432907.png

View attachment 25295
I have read so many bad things about the latest season of The Boys that I intend to watch just the season finale to save myself some time. The previous season was already way too on the nose.

The first season of the show was great because of Antony Starr's menacing performance. It could be a great show if they stopped trying to be so obviously political and so damn edgy all the time. At the same time it has consistently reduced the stakes for the main characters, their plot armor is through the roof by now.

It's a classic case of showrunners trying to push a message instead of telling a good story.

Finished Marvelous Mrs. Maisel yesterday. It's a fun, but flawed show. It's absolutely gorgeous visually, but in terms of content can be a bit hit and miss. It sometimes doesn't really move along in a sensible manner, and the final season rushed some things and had plotlines that could have been skipped completely or didn't particularly add anything.

Watching Maisel's parents is downright exhausting at times, but I think that makes them relatable because my own parents can be like that at times.

All the subplots involving Mrs Maisel's ex-husband are terrible and completely unnecessary. I think the idea is that we are supposed to symphatize with the character, but he's just not very likable.

I have read so many bad things about the latest season of The Boys that I intend to watch just the season finale to save myself some time. The previous season was already way too on the nose.

The first season of the show was great because of Antony Starr's menacing performance. It could be a great show if they stopped trying to be so obviously political and so damn edgy all the time. At the same time it has consistently reduced the stakes for the main characters, their plot armor is through the roof by now.

It's a classic case of showrunners trying to push a message instead of telling a good story.
I'm enjoying Season 4. It is brutal. I think that if some people could have these super-powers, reality would be even more vicious and devastating than fiction
amazon fly GIF

Last edited:
Watched a few things over the last couple days.

Axel F - Average movie, but still a ton of fun to watch for nostalgia.

Terrifier 2 - WTF

The Conference - Probably a better movie without the hilariously bad english overdubs.

Just watch Anthony Starr in Banshee. The last season was a rush job but overall; it's a great show. Despite (or maybe because of?) being OTT in every way. I caught the first season of The Boys and while I did enjoy it; S2 was a hard pass really instantly. If I want that kind of drama; I'll just open up FB and watch friends argue ideals with each other in real time :wat :wat :wat :ROFLMAO:

Watched a few things over the last couple days.

Axel F - Average movie, but still a ton of fun to watch for nostalgia.

Terrifier 2 - WTF

The Conference - Probably a better movie without the hilariously bad english overdubs.
My youngest and I like to irritate the rest of the family with Terrifier 2 :love :ROFLMAO:

Just watch Anthony Starr in Banshee. The last season was a rush job but overall; it's a great show. Despite (or maybe because of?) being OTT in every way. I caught the first season of The Boys and while I did enjoy it; S2 was a hard pass really instantly. If I want that kind of drama; I'll just open up FB and watch friends argue ideals with each other in real time :wat :wat :wat :ROFLMAO:
I'll have to check that out!

Back