Waves Online Mastering (AI AI AI alert)

Bookmarked.

I sense an Ozone vs Waves death match in my future.

Next time the challenge get started, I’ll try one of my own with an Ozone11 adv upgrade and then spend my one free credit on Waves.

Weighing Matthew Mcconaughey GIF by GIPHY News

It looks like a credit generally equals $2-$5 depending on how many you purchase in a bundle

I don’t see the point in AI mastering but I suppose i’m not the target audience either.

There’s a certain contextual aspect to what a mastering engineer offers, as well as applying their taste and specific experience that is hopefully the reason you hired them in the first place.

I don’t see the point in AI mastering but I suppose i’m not the target audience either.

There’s a certain contextual aspect to what a mastering engineer offers, as well as applying their taste and specific experience that is hopefully the reason you hired them in the first place.

I’m just curious while I’m trying to learn the craft.

At least with an Ozone, I know what the tools are behind the “AI” and generally understand what they’re actually doing.

Yeah, don't think I'm going to buy any more Waves plugins. I'm happy with Ozone 10 for now, and I also have a mastering suite from Newfangled Audio I've had for a number of years.

I’m just curious while I’m trying to learn the craft.

At least with an Ozone, I know what the tools are behind the “AI” and generally understand what they’re actually doing.
Yeah, at least with Ozone you can adjust whatever it does and hear for yourself.

If you ever have the opportunity to work with a pro mastering engineer on your song, try and book an attended session and see what they do. It’ll be different for each song and a huge part of the battle is their monitoring which is usually an experience in itself, to hear your songs in that kind of environment.

There’s access to so many of the pro’s working now with youtube/MWTM/puremix etc. I think MWTM actually just made John Davis‘s mastering series free as he sadly passed this week.

I've just tried it. What it is doing with my track is quite similar to what I get with Ozone 10 "CD Master" preset: increase the treble, and a touch of Dynamics and Maximizer

My mix was missing clarity on the high end.

1695113545133.png

Last edited:
Looks like there's potential, but lack of HI is concerning. (HI=human intelligence.)

Looks like there's potential, but lack of HI is concerning. (HI=human intelligence.)

Well, that goes to the art about all doesn’t it?

I think that’s the point @MirrorProfiles was making… There is an element of creativity to make the master fit the mix. Only a human can do that.

AI can never make the “human decision” because it requires something AI will never have.

I think the value here is for those unfamiliar in familiar with mastering tools, and how to get the art to fit their vision, via execution.

I think what AI does in this case is make things production ready for radio/Apple Music/Spotify, etc..

Well, that goes to the art about all doesn’t it?

I think that’s the point @MirrorProfiles was making… There is an element of creativity to make the master fit the mix. Only a human can do that.

AI can never make the “human decision” because it requires something AI will never have.

I think the value here is for those unfamiliar in familiar with mastering tools, and how to get the art to fit their vision, via execution.

I think what AI does in this case is make things production ready for radio/Apple Music/Spotify, etc..

Yeah, personally what’s great about these automated tools is it helps normies produce something semi fit for human consumption, without having to know all of the in’s and outs of mixing and mastering. With the Izotope stuff I use, I’ve slowly been able to learn a couple things here or there, and correct or tweak things it’s doing over time, while still able to record stuff in the interim while I get comfortable making those decisions on my own.

Yeah, personally what’s great about these automated tools is it helps normies produce something semi fit for human consumption, without having to know all of the in’s and outs of mixing and mastering. With the Izotope stuff I use, I’ve slowly been able to learn a couple things here or there, and correct or tweak things it’s doing over time, while still able to record stuff in the interim while I get comfortable making those decisions on my own.
Truth man. Been at the game since ozone 2, it was 300 bucks back then and might have been their only product. I was amazed what it did when slapping it on an awful mix, and back then man they were awful. Ozone was an instant betterer. Today it’s a good quick tool to look ahead on a track and see the potential. It’s super powerful and if you did become an ozone power user you should be able to get a fair master out of it.

Lots of people (including me) mistake mastering tasks for additional mixing and chances to "improve" the overall sound instead of for what it really is - a tool for mix translation and finalization. I think separating the process and using tools like this is a good way to avoid that habit. If you're ready for something commercial, you can still get a pro master done - but this kind of thing may take a lot of guesswork and back and forth out of preparing a mix and giving you an idea of what it will sound like. I think its better at some genres than others though. I've _not_ had good luck using tools like this on heavy/metal type of mixes unless you disable all the "squishing" functionality, but I'm also just an amateur to begin with - so I'm sure my mixes aren't really suitable for mastering like that in the first place.

Lots of people (including me) mistake mastering tasks for additional mixing and chances to "improve" the overall sound instead of for what it really is - a tool for mix translation and finalization. I think separating the process and using tools like this is a good way to avoid that habit. If you're ready for something commercial, you can still get a pro master done - but this kind of thing may take a lot of guesswork and back and forth out of preparing a mix and giving you an idea of what it will sound like. I think its better at some genres than others though. I've _not_ had good luck using tools like this on heavy/metal type of mixes unless you disable all the "squishing" functionality, but I'm also just an amateur to begin with - so I'm sure my mixes aren't really suitable for mastering like that in the first place.
Heavy metal is typically not terribly dynamic music to begin with. Loud and louder. So not so much need to control transients/dynamics as much as a need to bring it to volume. The limiter in the last few ozones has been amazingly transparent as well.

I’m looking forward to cyberMonday and Ozone11.

I’ve heard a few comparisons between Ozone 9, 10 and 11, have some understanding of the newest modules (clarity?), and it seems like they did improve the intelligent assistant over 10.

Also, the new stem mastering capabilities (vocal, bass, drums isolation) might be cool - dunno

Back