Video Games

That game seems insane, im actually afraid even to try it :p
Haha, it's certainly difficult, but it isn't crazy-hard if you're slow and careful. If you get stuck there's always something else you can go and do instead. That's probably the main strength to Elden Ring vs the older Souls games (very linear, with only one path forward).

My biggest piece of advice is to find a shield with 100% physical block and you'll be much safer. You can block everything.
For a first playthrough in any Souls game I always start with a Knight-type character with sword & shield.

1662232243330.jpeg

And this is how I get nothing done on the weekends. I forgot I started replaying this a while back, I have no clue where I am in it. It’s not connecting to the game server, I can’t remember what that means for this game as far as how much I can/can’t do. I’m assuming that means I won’t be seeing other players constructions, which sucks quite a bit. Hopefully it’s temporary.

View attachment 137

And this is how I get nothing done on the weekends. I forgot I started replaying this a while back, I have no clue where I am in it. It’s not connecting to the game server, I can’t remember what that means for this game as far as how much I can/can’t do. I’m assuming that means I won’t be seeing other players constructions, which sucks quite a bit. Hopefully it’s temporary.
Seems like such a good game… to bad for me they released it on Xbox games pass for PC only and not Xbox… I hate when they do that because it’s confusing when one pay for Xbox game pass. :hmm

Seems like such a good game… to bad for me they released it on Xbox games pass for PC only and not Xbox… I hate when they do that because it’s confusing when one pay for Xbox game pass. :hmm

What kind of BS is that?! That’s crazy.

I really don’t even think there’s a way to properly describe this game with unlimited words and a great command of them. I just re-started it after realizing I was quite close to the end of it from where I left off before. The landscapes in this game are beautiful in the most dreadful way. And the soundtrack! I totally forgot….it’s so chill and desolate. They really knocked it out of the park with this one. Not trying to rub it in at all!

What kind of BS is that?! That’s crazy.

I really don’t even think there’s a way to properly describe this game with unlimited words and a great command of them. I just re-started it after realizing I was quite close to the end of it from where I left off before. The landscapes in this game are beautiful in the most dreadful way. And the soundtrack! I totally forgot….it’s so chill and desolate. They really knocked it out of the park with this one. Not trying to rub it in at all!
Well, Xbox game pass is available to pc users (windows/Microsoft you know), so they get subs of course. But console is console and titles cannot just be handed around on the consoles because of the competitive nature that console titles is. I guess… It’s weird… but seems like it’s the way it is today.

Grew up with Colecovision and friends had Atari, Commodore 64, etc. Huge Nintendo fan from SNES on and even through the GameCube and Wii U, now love the Switch. Briefly had an XBox 360 and did not get a PS until the PS4. Pretty much a console player, have not tried modern PC gaming at all.

I have played a MASSIVE amount of Fallout 4 and Skyrim, which are among my favourite games of all time, along with the Nintendo classics from the day.

Anyway, looking forward to Stargate and will now have to by an XBox again.

Shit, that should be StarFIELD, haha.

Started playing Factorio with a buddy. Sunk the quickest 4 hours of my life into it in the first sitting.

Highly recommended if strategy/management/exploration/survival games are your thing.

Grew up with Pong. And Commodore 64. Skipped Atari and went to Intellivision. Then various Nintendos and Sega Dreamcast. Then computer games for a while. Then was always an XBOX guy. A couple huge PC games for me were Elder Scrolls (!!!) and Starcraft. Spent many many hours on those. Later on after Doom I got really into Quake and the Capture the Flag mod. Created a Quake Clan to play in tournaments and such. Nothing serious like “real” gamers these days, but serious enough to have twice weekly practices, LOL. My wife thought i was crazy having video game “practice.” LOL.
Dude! Quake was life! :beer

My path was Pong, Sears Telegames aka Atari, Atari 800 with the 5 1/2 + cassette tape loader, Windows 3.11 & all the Lucas Arts games at that time (1988-90), Wolfenstein 3D, DooM series then Quake. I got into Quake bigtime, helped form the first Hawaii based clan (Volcano Gods), Quakeworld, Quake II then Quake III, stuck it out playing Q3 rocket arena for years while the rest of the word got into Counter Strike...

Windows 3.11 & all the Lucas Arts games at that time (1988-90), Wolfenstein 3D, DooM series then Quake.
True! Loved monkey island, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max hit the road, Full Throttle, The Dig… those were my early teen games. Me and my dad played them together. Then Quake, fun times indeed!

I'm an 80s baby/90s kid, first console was a Sega Genesis with Sonic the Hedgehog. Plenty of PC games, Hugo's House of Horrors, Wolfenstein 3D, Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, DOOM, Quake, Half Life. The last console I had was a PS2/PSP and was into RPG games.

As a young adult I developed tendinitis/carpal tunnel pain and had to limit hand activity (guitar wins). Tried to get into Minecraft with my kids but my hands cramp up into a state in which they can't straighten out. Totally not worth it.

I have Final Fantasy 7 on my phone for when I want to relive the past.

Tried to get into Minecraft with my kids
Ah man... I used Minecraft as a gateway to get both my girls into PC gaming lol... I was seriously getting all tiger mom on them making sure they only used WASD keys lol.. its funny cause they are old enough now to realize I was grooming them to be pc gamers. But I dig Minecraft... one of the coolest things is if you scroll the FOV all the way to the right there is a Quake reference 🤘

1662281460309.png

True! Loved monkey island, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max hit the road, Full Throttle, The Dig… those were my early teen games. Me and my dad played them together. Then Quake, fun times indeed!
Aw man, I loved the Monkey Island series, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango and Full Throttle was the shit.

As for Quake, it was a stepping stone for me. Back then in order to play on a LAN pre Windows 95 you kind of had to know what you were doing with loading network card drivers manually in DOS and networking in general. Playing Quake and setting up servers to play Quake with friends eventually lead me to a career in IT.

Nowadays that career keeps me busy I don't game as much anymore. It's either guitar and cheesy recordings or gaming... guitar it is. ;)

Aw man, I loved the Monkey Island series, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango and Full Throttle was the s**t.

As for Quake, it was a stepping stone for me. Back then in order to play on a LAN pre Windows 95 you kind of had to know what you were doing with loading network card drivers manually in DOS and networking in general. Playing Quake and setting up servers to play Quake with friends eventually lead me to a career in IT.

Nowadays that career keeps me busy I don't game as much anymore. It's either guitar and cheesy recordings or gaming... guitar it is. ;)
I have a secret. I thought the first Unreal game was better than Quake :sofa

I have a secret. I thought the first Unreal game was better than Quake :sofa
Damn.. and I thought we can be friends... :bag

Seriously though it always bummed me out that John Carmack just kinda bailed on id software and got into building rockets n stuff... once he left that was it in my eyes. I did get into the Unreal series when Unreal Tournament 2004 came out.. that version was the shit with all the vehicles n stuff. I think what I miss the most from all those games of that era was the ability to host your own servers. Us Hawaii players always get slaughtered playing on mainland servers with our high pings... *sigh*

Damn.. and I thought we can be friends... :bag

Seriously though it always bummed me out that John Carmack just kinda bailed on id software and got into building rockets n stuff... once he left that was it in my eyes. I did get into the Unreal series when Unreal Tournament 2004 came out.. that version was the s**t with all the vehicles n stuff. I think what I miss the most from all those games of that era was the ability to host your own servers. Us Hawaii players always get slaughtered playing on mainland servers with our high pings... *sigh*
well.. those were good times. Schools were (at least here) really piling on the "The kids need to have computer classrooms". So back then, they had to hire someone to be a computer "teacher" and there really was no real teachers knowing anything about computers... So the computer "teacher" we got was this really cool 25 yo who liked to play Quake with us in the breaks between classes. We had these internal tournaments in school, and at some point things was going nuts with other schools and their computer rooms. haha... A year or two after I graduated, I heard the teachers pulled the plug on the Computer room being open other than for strict computer classes.

(I actually got to meet a girl for the first serious relationship by using mIRC in in the breaks, she was at another school, chatted for a month or two then we hooked up.... damn... I was in the forefront of things back then haha)

(I actually got to meet a girl for the first serious relationship by using mIRC in in the breaks, she was at another school, chatted for a month or two then we hooked up.... damn... I was in the forefront of things back then haha)
Wow, I totally forgot about mIRC... those were the days man!

My path was Pong, Sears Telegames aka Atari, Atari 800 with the 5 1/2 + cassette tape loader, Windows 3.11 & all the Lucas Arts games at that time (1988-90), Wolfenstein 3D, DooM series then Quake. I got into Quake bigtime, helped form the first Hawaii based clan (Volcano Gods), Quakeworld, Quake II then Quake III, stuck it out playing Q3 rocket arena for years while the rest of the word got into Counter Strike...
Ha. That is awesome. Very similar path even to rocket arena! Wow. Fun times.

I'm also slowly working my way through Elden Ring, but I have to be in the right mood for that. It's definitely a 'hunker down for a few hours during the night' kinda game, not something you can dip into for an hour at a time (in my case, anyway).
I think this is a common misperception re: FromSoft (aka "Soulsborne") games: that you need long sessions in which to play them. I actually really like these games because I usually have to play in short sessions, and I can't commit to 30 minutes of dialog, cutscenes, whatever in between actually playing a game. I need to pick up a controller and be having fun ASAP - otherwise, something less fun but "necessary" is going to pull me away. Once you realize that the entire world persists exactly as you've left it when you "Exit Game", you realize you can play in as short bursts as your schedule demands. (Actually pulling yourself away might be a different matter LOL.) The only exception to this is right in the middle of a boss battle - especially if you've summoned other players to help.

The other common misperception about these games is that they're super difficult. But as you said, if you choose a playstyle that suits you, and you're careful and methodical and leverage all the systems, this can be compensated for. I'm not really a "twitch" guy; I'm more in it for the (sort of) creative thinking aspect.

For sure, I absolutely recognise that other people do like to dip in for quick sessions - I just like to wait until I have a chance to really spend some time in the game because the atmosphere and exploration is my favourite part. :)

Back