Video Games

metropolis_4

Shredder
Good idea from the other thread! We need a video games thread

maniac_mansion.0.png

Still waiting for GTA6....been a few years since I got my grandma beat down on.

I still play GTAV at least once a week. I have a few buds I met playing that game 8 years ago that are a blast to play with, some I’ve met in real life over the years. When I’ve had a rough day at work there’s nothing more soothing than getting in a jet and destroying a bunch of little shithead kids while they rage over the mic. I never in my life thought a $60 game would buy me as much entertainment as that has, but I’ve got over 250 ACTUAL days into GTAO in 8 years.

Some of the sh*t that can happen in that game is just so damn funny and random that I’ve pulled muscles laughing hundreds of times. I really can’t wait to see what they do with GTA6. It’s going to be tough to beat 5, that’s for sure.

I still play GTAV at least once a week. I have a few buds I met playing that game 8 years ago that are a blast to play with, some I’ve met in real life over the years. When I’ve had a rough day at work there’s nothing more soothing than getting in a jet and destroying a bunch of little s******d kids while they rage over the mic. I never in my life thought a $60 game would buy me as much entertainment as that has, but I’ve got over 250 ACTUAL days into GTAO in 8 years.

Some of the sh*t that can happen in that game is just so damn funny and random that I’ve pulled muscles laughing hundreds of times. I really can’t wait to see what they do with GTA6. It’s going to be tough to beat 5, that’s for sure.
I never could get into the online part of GTA...that being said I haven't owned a copy for years and it's pretty much the only game I'm even remotely interested in anymore. You know your getting old when you've had an 85" Samsung paired with a SVS sub and surround for a year and haven't played a single game on it yet lol

Not playing anything right now, the last one I finished was God of War about 2 months ago, LOVED that one. I started Cyberpunk 2077 but there were still some glitches that were making it a pain in the ass to play, mostly with the audio not triggering, or exits not triggering, causing me to get destroyed repeatedly while thinking I just wasn’t finding an exit.

I’ve been getting the itch to replay Death Stranding. Such an insanely original game and the only game that’s actually put me through a range of emotions while playing. Sometimes I’d be playing it and totally grasp the lonely/desolate feeling of the character, the scenery and music worked perfectly. And sometimes I’d be legit anxious when it’d start raining. Crazy storyline, I couldn’t even explain it if I tried. ”So, you have a baby floating in what looks like piss in a glass jar, it helps you connect to other dimensions while you carry luggage across crazy terrains and avoid these oily ghosts. But it’s way crazier than that. And you can piss in the game, too.”

I never could get into the online part of GTA...

Same. I beat the single player campaign and stopped. (Vice City and San Andreas are still my favorite single player campaigns from the series)

Which reminds me I need to finish Red Dead Redemption 2. Sorta lost interest completing that.

Not playing anything right now, the last one I finished was God of War about 2 months ago, LOVED that one. I started Cyberpunk 2077 but there were still some glitches that were making it a pain in the ass to play, mostly with the audio not triggering, or exits not triggering, causing me to get destroyed repeatedly while thinking I just wasn’t finding an exit.

I’ve been getting the itch to replay Death Stranding. Such an insanely original game and the only game that’s actually put me through a range of emotions while playing. Sometimes I’d be playing it and totally grasp the lonely/desolate feeling of the character, the scenery and music worked perfectly. And sometimes I’d be legit anxious when it’d start raining. Crazy storyline, I couldn’t even explain it if I tried. ”So, you have a baby floating in what looks like piss in a glass jar, it helps you connect to other dimensions while you carry luggage across crazy terrains and avoid these oily ghosts. But it’s way crazier than that. And you can piss in the game, too.”
I tried really hard to like Death Stranding (because someone gave me a copy, which made me feel weirdly guilty LOL.) It's certainly one of the prettiest games I've ever seen. But man you have got to have some time on your hands. It wasn't the walking for miles and miles in real time that did me in - it was those insane menu screens that pop up when you complete a mission. I had no idea what I was suppose to be ignoring vs. paying attention to, or why. I've seen simpler UI's for developing video games. :oops:

Anyway... haven't really managed to get into anything since I finished Elden Ring. Speaking of time on your hands. I spent about 220 hours on one playthrough, and I'm sure I missed plenty of content. Just insanely huge.

Last edited:
I tried really hard to like Death Stranding (because someone gave me a copy, which made me feel weirdly guilty LOL.) It's certainly one of the prettiest games I've ever seen. But man you have got to have some time on your hands. But it wasn't the walking for miles and miles in real time that did me in - it was those insane menu screens that pop up when you complete a mission. I had no idea what I was suppose to be ignoring vs. paying attention or why. I've seen simpler UI's for developing video games. :oops:

Anyway... haven't really managed to get into anything since I finished Elden Ring. Speaking of time on your hands. I spent about 220 hours on one playthrough, and I'm sure I missed plenty of content. Just insanely huge.

Man, it’s been over a year since I’ve played, I can’t even remember what pops up. Confusion is definitely part of the game; you’re either confused about how much shit you should carry with you, what the f*ck is going on in the story or where you’re supposed to be going. And there definitely is a lot of walking. I’m not sure how I didn’t get bored with that because I was getting bored riding horses in Red Dead II.

I’m very curious about Elden Ring, but I keep hearing that it’s one of those games that relies purely on strategy, like knowing the exact timing of when to kill the boss as he jumps up 1/16th of an inch above the moon when his left leg is turning towards the Blood’s Reign waterfall and his right eye has a brighter white tint to it. I LOVE open world games, especially if there’s mysterious stuff to explore/discover. Horizon Zero Dawn was good for that. But the strategy aspect throws me off because I’d rather play and advance a story than get hung up trying to kill one person for 3 days.

I’m very curious about Elden Ring, but I keep hearing that it’s one of those games that relies purely on strategy, like knowing the exact timing of when to kill the boss as he jumps up 1/16th of an inch above the moon when his left leg is turning towards the Blood’s Reign waterfall and his right eye has a brighter white tint to it. I LOVE open world games, especially if there’s mysterious stuff to explore/discover. Horizon Zero Dawn was good for that. But the strategy aspect throws me off because I’d rather play and advance a story than get hung up trying to kill one person for 3 days.
It's a fantastic game - in many ways the best video game I've ever played - but its immense scope sometimes works against it. I'm like you in that my favorite part of these games is in the exploration/discovery. (As for advancing story... well, that depends on whether the story sucks, and usually they do. All of the FromSoft games tend to really minimize story and dialog.) But with a big open world, and pretty minimal sign-posting, it's easy to get into holding patterns where you're just aimlessly grinding, as opposed to exploring highly crafted dungeons, etc. At those times, I would get bored and frustrated. Some of their earlier work (Dark Souls, etc.) might suit you better in this regard. (The Demons' Souls remake is awesome, if you're a PlayStation guy. See also: Nioh, Nioh 2. Brilliant stuff.)

As for the strategy thing... I'll just say that the bosses are my least favorite part of this genre. I know that, for a lot of people, they're the entire point. I like the exploration/ dungeon crawl thing, and when I run across one of these nigh-impossible bosses, it basically feels like a brick wall between me and the rest of the game I paid for and expect to be allowed to, you know, play.

:hmm

The rest of the "strategy" aspect is awesome - choosing weapons, developing builds, etc.

Last edited:
I'm still playing Fortnite pretty consistently (though I'm on a three week detox right now), and I do play Zelda BotW, and I just started playing the Borderlands games again, because I got the whole bundle (except 3) for $20 on the Switch.

I lost my interest in video games around the age of 14. All of the sudden cars, guitars and girls (not in that order) became WAAAAY more important.

That said, a couple years back I built my own retro arcade cabinet for my pool room. It's been pretty fantastic, I must say.

No8vrzG.jpeg

Grew up with Pong. And Commodore 64. Skipped Atari and went to Intellivision. Then various Nintendos and Sega Dreamcast. Then computer games for a while. Then was always an XBOX guy. A couple huge PC games for me were Elder Scrolls (!!!) and Starcraft. Spent many many hours on those. Later on after Doom I got really into Quake and the Capture the Flag mod. Created a Quake Clan to play in tournaments and such. Nothing serious like “real” gamers these days, but serious enough to have twice weekly practices, LOL. My wife thought i was crazy having video game “practice.” LOL.

Breath of the wild, has been my favourite for a while as a casual dad player, the kids have had Wii U and then Switch. They started very much like I did as a child, with Super Mario and stuff.

They both played Fortnite for a while and even got me to do it with them, which was quite fun. They weren’t to happy about saving my ass all the time though… and also getting them killed haha! And if I played solo I was constantly breaking the game rules haha, making friends with random people in solo BR and doing stuff that annoyed the hell out of people… think I got banned several times actually.

Switch got changed to a Xbox X recently as the older kid wanted that… ironically they’re both playing Minecraft 100% of the time :rofl which just seems like a waste of console power to me….

It’s like using a Helix floor and only use the megaphone effect… with a hint of legacy room reverb….

I’m going through the Master Chief Halo thing now as i played Halo a lot with the first Xbox. Also going through some of the game pass titles… there are some really cool games in there. I enjoy the Hellblade and Plague Tale games to.

I’m eagerly waiting for Starfield. That game will probably make me play a lot less guitar :bag

Saw a cool looking slasher title last night. The Quarry? Looked like a grisly little game. I am far too high strung and spazzy to play it so I'll probably just watch my son give it a go.

On a back in my date note; he picked up the TMNT bundle. Those old games were hard AF! No surprise on my reputation as a controller thrower :cuss

Grew up with Colecovision and friends had Atari, Commodore 64, etc. Huge Nintendo fan from SNES on and even through the GameCube and Wii U, now love the Switch. Briefly had an XBox 360 and did not get a PS until the PS4. Pretty much a console player, have not tried modern PC gaming at all.

I have played a MASSIVE amount of Fallout 4 and Skyrim, which are among my favourite games of all time, along with the Nintendo classics from the day.

Anyway, looking forward to Stargate and will now have to by an XBox again.

Back