Video Games

Shit, I'm gonna have to buy Elden Ring again now that I've got a PS5. I never finished it on PC (even after like 60 hours or something) because my GPU was janked and kept crashing the game randomly. Also performance wasn't super great anyway. That trailer looks wicked!!

I hear Dying Light 2 will be free to play this weekend on PC. Not sure about consoles?
If there's a free demo/ trial period on PS or XBox, I'll give it a go. I have a hard time dropping $50+ on video games these days, having been spoiled by Game Pass/ PS+. Especially since there are so few games I actually wind up enjoying.

If there's a free demo/ trial period on PS or XBox, I'll give it a go. I have a hard time dropping $50+ on video games these days, having been spoiled by Game Pass/ PS+. Especially since there are so few games I actually wind up enjoying.
You can get it for $30 often.

Shit, I'm gonna have to buy Elden Ring again now that I've got a PS5. I never finished it on PC (even after like 60 hours or something) because my GPU was janked and kept crashing the game randomly. Also performance wasn't super great anyway. That trailer looks wicked!!
I reinstalled Elden Ring last night - partly because I'd just seen the Shadow of the Erdtree trailer; partly because I needed a few minutes of post-Lies of P Soulslike fix. :D Anyway, the download screen for Elden Ring popped up, and in the bottom-right corner it said:

"Game Progress: 100% - Time Played: 258 hours". o_O

681D64DE2F06B8143816DA3F777432103418045C

You can get it for $30 often.
I'd have no problem spending $30 - provided I'd already had a chance to try it, and knew I'd enjoy it. I'm pretty risk-averse when it comes to buying video games blind. I've been burned too many times LOL.

I'd have no problem spending $30 - provided I'd already had a chance to try it, and knew I'd enjoy it. I'm pretty risk-averse when it comes to buying video games blind. I've been burned too many times LOL.
Yeah, I haven't even downloaded Lies of P even though it's free haha.

Yeah, I haven't even downloaded Lies of P even though it's free haha.
That's the thing: nothing that takes your time is really "free".

Having said that... if you're into the Soulslike thing, download Lies of P and at least "put up with it" until you've gotten past a couple of bosses. I thought it was crap at first, but once it got rolling, wow. One of the best in the genre IMO.

P.S. "Lies of P" is a terrible and unfortunate name, and my 12 year old kid has countless jokes with which to remind me. :D

That's the thing: nothing that takes your time is really "free".

Having said that... if you're into the Soulslike thing, download Lies of P and at least "put up with it" until you've gotten past a couple of bosses. I thought it was crap at first, but once it got rolling, wow. One of the best in the genre IMO.

P.S. "Lies of P" is a terrible and unfortunate name, and my 12 year old kid has countless jokes with which to remind me. :D
Hear you on the 12 year old! Haha, thankfully mine went through the teen stage already even though he is 12. Blessed to have mostly good kids haha.

Don't think I've played a souls game past 30 minutes. I'm sure we have them all in the house. Too many kids haha

Been sick af recently (possibly my first time getting the coof?) but I still made some more progress on my level 1 playthru

Here's my Commander Niall fight; shoulda been perfect but I goofed a couple times

Speaking of souls games. Anyway ever play Sekiro Shadows Die Twice?

How does it compare?
Do a search for "sekiro" in this very thread. What you'll find is very much "YMMV".

People seem to adore the game. I despise it - and I'm a total FromSoft fanboy.

tl;dr - all parrying, all the time.

@mbenigni is right, to really get the true Sekiro experience you gotta accept that deflecting attacks is the key to making progress in Sekiro.

It *is* possible to beat the game without deflecting at all but it will be wayyyy more tedious overall

Also there is no way to "grind for levels" to make the game easier. You can grind to unlock prosthetic tools and combat arts but no grinding for more attack power or health

A lot of people compare the combat to a "rhythm game" and there is definitely some truth to that. The good news is the deflect/parry window is quite generous and spammable

Ok, I bought Elden Ring and have started over on PS5.

Planning to "continue" my original character as a Spellsword-type build. Enchanting weapons and bonking guys with the Claymore / the occasional pew pew magic is just too much fun. Also I LOVE the Carian Knight armour set. It's genuinely one of my favourite character designs ever so I can't not use it again. :clint

Back