Video Games

Getting fit with video games. #lifehack

I thought about getting a treadmill to walk on during the onslaught of “why did you invite me to this meeting again” calls at work, but I’m too lazy to go through with it. :ROFLMAO:
I have intermittent success finding Netflix etc series that keep me curious enough between episodes to head back to the treadmill. The trick is finding something good, but not so good that you think your wife should see it, too. (Because that just lands the both of you on the couch…)

What software were you running while exercising?

Asking for a friend who could stand to lose 40 lbs. :bag
Before I give you the direct answer, I want to say this: Doing anything is infinitely better than nothing. And don't do it "just" to lose weight; I was very mental at one point because despite being very strict with my diet and working out twice a day, my weight didn't change at all for a couple of months. The most important thing is to keep going simply because it's the right thing to do!

Six days a week, I do the following (and I never exercise on Sundays) before lunch, on alternating days
• 20-30 mins of "Fitness Boxing 2" on the Switch.....with jumping jacks during transitions just to keep the heart rate up. The "instructors" are largely inane and I've turned off all the voice-overs....but one of them resembles my wife and I like that! :-)

• 20-30 minutes of "Your Shape: Fitness Evolved" on the Xbox. It's a really ancient Kinect title, but even after all this time I still enjoy "wall-breaking" and the more intricate jump-rope routines…

Those games work for me because they're just fun enough, they're low-impact, low-risk, etc. And they have almost zero set-up time!

When I was losing weight or now when I'm trying to stay a bit more active, I add in a second exercise before dinner:
• during the winter months, about 30 mins of bodylastics; love those bands and could say a lot more about them!
• otherwise, about 15-20 minutes of ad hoc stuff….usually some combo of push-ups and some cardio / ab stuff. Sometimes I'll use my Steel Bow, so it really varies just to keep my interest up and for so-called "muscle confusion".

Again, do anything and never stop doing something.

Before I give you the direct answer, I want to say this: Doing anything is infinitely better than nothing. And don't do it "just" to lose weight; I was very mental at one point because despite being very strict with my diet and working out twice a day, my weight didn't change at all for a couple of months. The most important thing is to keep going simply because it's the right thing to do!

Six days a week, I do the following (and I never exercise on Sundays) before lunch, on alternating days
• 20-30 mins of "Fitness Boxing 2" on the Switch.....with jumping jacks during transitions just to keep the heart rate up. The "instructors" are largely inane and I've turned off all the voice-overs....but one of them resembles my wife and I like that! :-)

• 20-30 minutes of "Your Shape: Fitness Evolved" on the Xbox. It's a really ancient Kinect title, but even after all this time I still enjoy "wall-breaking" and the more intricate jump-rope routines…

Those games work for me because they're just fun enough, they're low-impact, low-risk, etc. And they have almost zero set-up time!

When I was losing weight or now when I'm trying to stay a bit more active, I add in a second exercise before dinner:
• during the winter months, about 30 mins of bodylastics; love those bands and could say a lot more about them!
• otherwise, about 15-20 minutes of ad hoc stuff….usually some combo of push-ups and some cardio / ab stuff. Sometimes I'll use my Steel Bow, so it really varies just to keep my interest up and for so-called "muscle confusion".

Again, do anything and never stop doing something.
Thank you for sharing all of this! I’ve definitely got to start mixing it up a bit. Treadmill alone is not cutting it. I bought some free weights a few months ago but the damn things refuse to lift themselves lol.

Champion Victor, aaaaaargh!
I finally took this bastard down last night. Must have taken 15 or 20 attempts - not to mention all the imperfect run-ups and do-overs. I was really starting to think he'd be Lies' brick wall, rage quit, "You're not allowed to play your own game anymore" boss.

In the Barren Swamp now, and the game ain't getting any easier LOL.

Thank you for sharing all of this! I’ve definitely got to start mixing it up a bit. Treadmill alone is not cutting it. I bought some free weights a few months ago but the damn things refuse to lift themselves lol.
I hate running and treadmills just because it feels like trash on my joints 😬

Am I old yet?

]
1706796703494.png

1706796781268.png

Getting fit with video games. #lifehack

I thought about getting a treadmill to walk on during the onslaught of “why did you invite me to this meeting again” calls at work, but I’m too lazy to go through with it. :ROFLMAO:
"Treadmill-Friendly Games" is a topic I frequent. It's not a long list, but here are some I've enjoyed:
  • Slay the Spire
  • Monster Train
  • Monster Sanctuary
  • Pokemon (traditional Pokemon; I almost fell off the treadmill playing Legends Arceus during a boss battle)
  • Mario + Rabbids
In general, slower, turn-based games work well (for me) on the treadmill. Mario RPG would be a good one to try. Anything where the combat can get intense is not treadmill-friendly for this eggplant.

"Treadmill-Friendly Games" is a topic I frequent. It's not a long list, but here are some I've enjoyed:
  • Slay the Spire
  • Monster Train
  • Monster Sanctuary
  • Pokemon (traditional Pokemon; I almost fell off the treadmill playing Legends Arceus during a boss battle)
  • Mario + Rabbids
In general, slower, turn-based games work well (for me) on the treadmill. Mario RPG would be a good one to try. Anything where the combat can get intense is not treadmill-friendly for this eggplant.
Slay the Spire really got its hooks in me a few years back. (Terrifying how time flies.) One of very few games I've ever enjoyed on iPad. Nice having something that engaging so readily accessible.

Slay the Spire really got its hooks in me a few years back. (Terrifying how time flies.) One of very few games I've ever enjoyed on iPad. Nice having something that engaging so readily accessible.
It's probably one of my favorite games ever. I can't tell you how many 5 hour plane rides have just flown by (no pun intended) because of StS. An average run can be like ~40 minutes, so you do a few of those and BAM, touchdown.

If I could see my total playtime between my computer, phone and iPad, it would be startling lol

It's probably one of my favorite games ever. I can't tell you how many 5 hour plane rides have just flown by (no pun intended) because of StS. An average run can be like ~40 minutes, so you do a few of those and BAM, touchdown.

If I could see my total playtime between my computer, phone and iPad, it would be startling lol
Thanks for the tip - I'll be flying to Europe this summer. Might just have to dust off Slay the Spire. :)

I've been playing Stardew Valley on the Switch for the last month quite a bit. It's been a nice diversion from life. And my small kids have been playing as well. Like Animal Crossing but way more interesting.

My son took over the Xbox and got a TV for his room so I don't have access to a real gaming device. At some point I want to get a Steam Deck. Big fan of handhelds right now.

I've been playing Stardew Valley on the Switch for the last month quite a bit. It's been a nice diversion from life. And my small kids have been playing as well. Like Animal Crossing but way more interesting.

My son took over the Xbox and got a TV for his room so I don't have access to a real gaming device. At some point I want to get a Steam Deck. Big fan of handhelds right now.
If you get a steam deck, stardew is a whole different beast on it.

Back