Gain levels and string clarity with Headfirst Alta amp

cragginshred

Roadie
For all of us who are Not chugga drop tune guys who want to actually hear string separation and upper mid chime type riffs. I have owned almost every amp under the sun all providing ample amounts of gain, however when it comes to lower gain settings the gain either gets thin, or just sounds like crap.

Over the weekend I was using my R9 with the headfirst alta at the higher gain settings and began to experiment with turning the gain down and wow the TONE! string separation and Kerrang type harmonics jumping out! Last night went out with my Anderson Lil angel super strat and the higher gain was glorious too!

This vid compares a few gains settings all with the modern and Brite cap1 modes engaged. In the vid I mistakenly said 'Vintage' mode'

For all of us who are Not chugga drop tune guys who want to actually hear string separation and upper mid chime type riffs. I have owned almost every amp under the sun all providing ample amounts of gain, however when it comes to lower gain settings the gain either gets thin, or just sounds like crap.

Over the weekend I was using my R9 with the headfirst alta at the higher gain settings and began to experiment with turning the gain down and wow the TONE! string separation and Kerrang type harmonics jumping out! Last night went out with my Anderson Lil angel super strat and the higher gain was glorious too!

This vid compares a few gains settings all with the modern and Brite cap1 modes engaged. In the vid I mistakenly said 'Vintage' mode'

Sounds great. I really like the "lower" gain settings with your LP.

Sounds great. I really like the "lower" gain settings with your LP.
I do too!
It has so much kerrang that is hard to capture in the room. Fri pm I was getting over the honeymoon period and a little flummoxed with the higher gain setting then kept backing it down and WoW factor!!
my current band is all about that tone too!

Cool thing is the Anderson sounds really killer with the higher gain setting so winner winner!! :rawk

I had an Alta100.
I actually had it for sale here,
-but none of you dudes trusted me.
I let it go for a steal also.
What I liked about that amp was it was centered around a JMP voice/vibe.
I liked how it could cop AC⚡️DC at mouse fart volumes, like really good.
I do think he needs to scale that amp back,
-go to 2 channels with footswitchable gain/master
and completely redesign the negative feedback section to have more effects.
It was also challenging to see the controls on the front, I could’nt tell where I was at,
-I just kept jammin’🤘🏻.
The Alta did not like V30’s.
That’s a great grab & go amp
with a trusty 1X12.
The Victory Kraken boost pedal is the
BUTTER BOMB with that amp.
THAT! was bad to the bone.
There is a killer Strat neck pickup tone in channel 2 that was straight Machine Gun.
Channel 2 was my favorite channel.
Headfirst’s customer service is unparalleled.
He’s so on point you can call him Bullseye👍

I had an Alta100.
I actually had it for sale here,
-but none of you dudes trusted me.
I let it go for a steal also.
What I liked about that amp was it was centered around a JMP voice/vibe.
I liked how it could cop AC⚡️DC at mouse fart volumes, like really good.
I do think he needs to scale that amp back,
-go to 2 channels with footswitchable gain/master
and completely redesign the negative feedback section to have more effects.
It was also challenging to see the controls on the front, I could’nt tell where I was at,
-I just kept jammin’🤘🏻.
The Alta did not like V30’s.
That’s a great grab & go amp
with a trusty 1X12.
The Victory Kraken boost pedal is the
BUTTER BOMB with that amp.
THAT! was bad to the bone.
There is a killer Strat neck pickup tone in channel 2 that was straight Machine Gun.
Channel 2 was my favorite channel.
Headfirst’s customer service is unparalleled.
He’s so on point you can call him Bullseye👍

Yeah I looked at your sale but had already paid the deposit and did not want to do that to Jason.

Reading glasses work wonders with all amp controls :ROFLMAO: Everything is foot switchable via midi and any processor from an FM3 the HX FXX to a simple midi mouse.

I own a JMP and A/B it for reference and the Alta is waaaay better. More full and 3d and just pleasing to the ears. Like I demonstrated in the above vid, it like next to no other amps I've owned sounds killer on a low gain setting (ch2)

The JMP only sounds good at one setting to me, the only other tone i would use is the low input for a cool throaty cleanish tone

Last edited:
Back