Tonex Pedal....It's REAL

I'm having an issue with the ToneX pedal involving midi communication. When I send a midi signal to the ToneX pedal, the display turns off and on, along with the guitar signal turning off and on, then makes a hissing noise just like when it turns on with the orange light inside the pedal remaining on all along.

This occurs when sending a single midi preset (from morningstar MC6 mkii) with 8 total messages (mostly control commands) to other pedals. When I disable 2 of those other messages (control commands to other pedals) within the MC6 preset, the ToneX responds seamlessly.

It seems the ToneX is having problems processing midi signals that contain multple messages to other pedal(s)? No other midi messages are sending signals to ToneX (Midi Channel 7). Moving the ToneX to other channels did not help. Any1 else having these issues or could test to see if you can reproduce the error?

@IK Multimedia

Physical Midi Cable Order:
MC6 (sending midi)
ML5
POG2
Stymon Timeline
Strymon Bigsky
Disaster Area Midi Box 4
- ToneX (TRS midi from midi box to 5pin midi cable)

Thanks!
Bob
@IK Multimedia
Found a fix for this. I tested a few configurations. I bypassed the disaster area midi box 4 and the same issue still occured, so it wasnt that box.

I didn't test for full functionality. However, when moving the ToneX pedal physically closer to the MC6 in the midi chain (i.e. number 2 in physical chain instead of number 7), the ToneX functioned seamlessly. Haven't fully tested if all midi messages to other devices were successful but I assume they were. I'm not sure what caused this to occur. The ML5 looper was 2nd in the chain. When I made the ToneX 2nd and the ML5 3rd, it worked. I'm refering to phycial location in midi chain, not midi channel.

However, I still don't like the idea of running midi out to the tonex on my seperate amp sim pedalboard and then back to my main pedalboard since I don't have midi in and midi out on my junction box, only midi out, plus I'd prefer ot reduce cables going to and from the amp sim board. I will eventually move the midi box 4 to number 2 in the midi chain and go out from that TRS to 5-pin IN on the ToneX and see if that works since the midi box would be closer to the MC6.

BTW ToneX does work with TRS to 5-pin midi when wired according to TRS midi standard, see diagram below if interested.

Also, @IK Multimedia, I genuinely believe you deserve recognition and an award for your product. Great work!

1691111477654.jpeg

Last edited:
I honestly fired up the plugin maybe twice. It was a pain to use.

I was going to buy the physical pedal but they were out of stock and I impulse bought a Kemper instead. Not sure if that was smart or dumb.

Funny you say that, as I'm mainly checking this out as a (much cheaper and easily available) distraction from wanting to try a powered Kemper… :grin

Last edited:
I’m still using Tonex and despite any of the concerns around IK and the app’s UX, I love the tones. I’m using a mixture of IKs captures and my own, and it’s working out great for me.

My other guitarist has my hardware but I have been wondering about putting the Tonex pedal through a power amp and guitar cab. I bet it sounds great.

I’m still using Tonex and despite any of the concerns around IK and the app’s UX, I love the tones. I’m using a mixture of IKs captures and my own, and it’s working out great for me.

My other guitarist has my hardware but I have been wondering about putting the Tonex pedal through a power amp and guitar cab. I bet it sounds great.
I don’t use it every day, but I’m more in this camp—it’s a plainly satisfactory product that can work really well but unfortunately isnt getting the love that turns good to great.

I bought a ToneX as soon as the local GC had one in stock. Right out of the box it wasn’t mind blowing, but the potential is there if you put a little work into it.
I picked up a few packs from amalgam and @Deadpan , and there probably isn’t much I could do with the Tonex + Stomp XL.

I loved the sounds from ToneX when I tried it so I bought the pedal thinking I can incorporate it into other rigs. And you can and I did.
However, the management of ToneX in general sucks by comparison to anything else I have. Once I heard Tonocracy, and explored the user interface it made no sense keeping ToneX. The pedal was the only thing that made me hesitate but after the last couple weeks I realized it is too much of a pain for something that doesn't also function as a complete stand alone solution. I wasn't using it and could use Tonocracy and a laptop much more efficiently, which is why the ToneX pedal was sitting unused.

So ToneX shipped out a few hours ago. Nice idea, first of its kind but a swing and a miss by my standards.

Business as usual in IKMM land. Great sounding products at (partially very) affordable prices but coming along with (partially very) horrible user experiences. Once confronted with that on whatever public forums -> stick your head into the sand and try to sit things out.
Seriously, it's like that for pretty much decades by now. Making you wonder how they actually survive in the business.

Business as usual in IKMM land. Great sounding products at (partially very) affordable prices but coming along with (partially very) horrible user experiences. Once confronted with that on whatever public forums -> stick your head into the sand and try to sit things out.
Seriously, it's like that for pretty much decades by now. Making you wonder how they actually survive in the business.
Many of their products do have good ideas behind them, enough to make people buy into them. It's just the execution and post-purchase support that is lacking.

Strymon gets about 90% of their designs, sounds and user experience right from the start, so any updates on a digital product beyond bugfixes seem unnecessary, even if they would be welcome.

The same figure for IK is closer to 50% (using the complex mathematic formulas eminating from my ass) so there's plenty of room for improvement, achievable purely by software updates that never come. If IK says that Tonex is one of their most popular products yet, why is no money being spent to make it better so that it would be even more popular? Instead there will probably be a "Tonex 2" eventually that you will have to buy again.

Universal Audio to me operates very similarly. Put out a product, never try to make it better or evolve your designs.

I still use the software, didn't really need the pedal, but it's hooked up and I use it in the loop of my Helix as the interface for the software.

I tried Amplitube a few times and it helped me see the lack of continuity between the products - I didn't like the workflow. There have been several updates since the last time I used it, but I haven't felt the need to open it again after my first few experiences.

Amplitube:
  • Can batch load IR's
  • No alpha numeric sorting of your IR's. It just randomly dumps them in the folder- sloppy beta code mistakes, might have been fixed , but I doubt it.
  • Can sound decent to very good

Tonex:
  • Still have to load IR's one at a time (Tourette's inducing level of frustration, initially)
  • When connected to ToneNet you cannot lock a default Cab Block for DI's/No cab captures.
    • You have to constantly click on the cab icon, select one, then demo the capture without a cab baked in - repeat for each capture (without a cab) you want to demo.
    • Being able to lock a default favorite cab would be far better than the no cab harsh tone- but, ya know, fuck you and your workflow.

The sales spam, yes it's frequent, but doesn't bother me much.

What cracks me up is when you look at the sales pricing, and look at the original price. "This bundle has a value of over $20 million dollars but on sale just for you, for a limited time for $399." :ROFLMAO:

To top it off, you'll have to search to no end to possibly find out 75-85% of what you're actually getting in the package.

Said differently, you'll need to search continually and you may be able to find out what's not included in the price (hint: it's probably the thing(s) you really want). But you'll have to purchase those separately later, after you realize you've been shorted in what appears to be a "good deal".

Last edited:
Back