Tonex Pedal....It's REAL

Using the ToneX app made me appreciate the simplicity of starring caps in the QC mobile app and then just having them on the device ready for wireless download whenever I want to go down the capture rabbit hole. Yeah there is a $1,500 difference yada yada, but clunky software is annoying regardless of price imo.

You really need to be able to modify presets from the ToneX app imo.

Oh I mean to the iOS version - I dont believe its possible to import or export like you can on the standalone/plugin versions. Unless they changed it recently, the only way is to import from ToneNet when on iOS
Oh, yeah, I've read that is an issue but haven't used the iOS version. Surely they will fix that soon?

Oh, yeah, I've read that is an issue but haven't used the iOS version. Surely they will fix that soon?
I'd hope so - they have been quite on it with updates since releasing the software but I'm not sure how many people have brought this point up. I'm not sure how many iOS users are making their own captures and don't want to share everything publicly - that could represent a fairly small userbase. Sure this applies for you too, but I have customer's who've bought preset packs, and it would be great if I could help them use them on iOS - as things stand I dont think its possible

Since it hasn't "failed" for me, I'll just chalk this up as hyperbole. ;)

Your credibility was never in question as you are perfectly entitled to your opinion.

If IK *never* changed the software UI or added the ability to edit presets on the pedal via the software, I would still continue to use the unit until something better came along - for me at least, this, by definition, makes it both "usable" and "tolerable".

I think this is likely true for most ToneX pedal owners, but I can't speak for everyone.

P.S. I'm also a software developer and IT professional - I think we are extremely common in the D&M forums! ;)
I hear you on the matter of preset editing being subjective.

As for the rest: a crash, an error message, a hang... these either occurred or they didn't. There's no room for "hyperbole" or "opinion". Am I lying? And why would I?

Again, software can misbehave for any number of reasons. If it failed all the time, for everyone, under all circumstances, it would never have been released.

Is anyone else noticing periodic phasing/chorusing on some captures?

I was shredding it up on the couch last night using the Tonex pedal through my usual AT-50x cans, tuned out for a minute to catch up on the movie I had been watching, and when I started playing again, there was a very prominent chorusing/phasing/flanging effect in the capture I had been playing through. No settings changed. I should have recorded which capture it was, but I feel like I've noticed this on some other captures as well - IIRC predominantly higher gain Mesa style amps?

I haven't noticed this behavior in the plugin or standalone app, but I tend to use the hardware more.

Coming from an audio engineering and software engineering background - this isn't the kind of phasing/filtering you get from poor phase coherence with a multi-mic setup. It felt more like something drifted out of sync over time and was now oscillating at a very slow or maybe even variable rate.

Last edited:
I hear you on the matter of preset editing being subjective.

As for the rest: a crash, an error message, a hang... these either occurred or they didn't. There's no room for "hyperbole" or "opinion". Am I lying? And why would I?

Again, software can misbehave for any number of reasons. If it failed all the time, for everyone, under all circumstances, it would never have been released.
I have freezes and crashes often. Sometimes seemingly related to different software trying to access the interface drivers but others seemingly for no reason like trying to close Tonex.

My comment vis-a-vis was directed at just one statement - this one, which I quoted originally:

It's pretty uncommon for a piece of software - even really lousy software - to fail for every single user.

I think it was just a misunderstanding on my part - I thought you were saying that this particular bit of software does fail for all users, but on re-reading with the added context of your later statement, I now see this was not what you were saying!

If it failed all the time, for everyone, under all circumstances, it would never have been released.

My comment vis-a-vis was directed at just one statement - this one, which I quoted originally:

I think it was just a misunderstanding on my part - I thought you were saying that this particular bit of software does fail for all users, but on re-reading with the added context of your later statement, I now see this was not what you were saying!
OK, yeah. I can see where my first comment may have been ambiguous. :)

Maybe they need to figure how to separate the highest quality captures form the rest.
For example, a check mark for known usernames that share the finest captures.

Maybe they need to figure how to separate the highest quality captures form the rest.
For example, a check mark for known usernames that share the finest captures.
QuarterlyTheseArachnid-size_restricted.gif

Yep. I responded to Pete about "how" to do it for PC .... but it seems that with MAC it *might* be even a bit "quirkier"

Your point is very fair .... such an awesome sounding unit with such user un-intuitive Software.

Ben

Just remember, at IKMM, one of the best paid jobs is that of a "software malfunctionist" - almost like the head of software department. One of his most important duties would be firing any UI designer actually coming up with some decent ideas. Fwiw, his assistant (another pretty important job in IK land) is deleting user request inquiries from 9 to 5.

Last edited:
Yep. I responded to Pete about "how" to do it for PC .... but it seems that with MAC it *might* be even a bit "quirkier"

Your point is very fair .... such an awesome sounding unit with such user un-intuitive Software.

Ben
We’re talking about basic UI fundamentals here. Ctrl-click should ALWAYS pull up a contextual menu. As Macs don’t have a right mouse button and only a single trackpad “button,” you shouldn’t have to resort to the two-finger or double-tap option to access it. The ineptitude of their UI designers and/or coders is unbelievable. Absolutely atrocious software.

We’re talking about basic UI fundamentals here. Ctrl-click should ALWAYS pull up a contextual menu. As Macs don’t have a right mouse button and only a single trackpad “button,” you shouldn’t have to resort to the two-finger or double-tap option to access it.
MacOS absolutely does support the concept of a right button on a mouse.

The issue is probably that the developer tied the actions directly to an input instead of a more abstract version of it that covers triggering it from the keyboard with Ctrl+left click. It's a simple mistake to make or could be a problem on a 3rd party library you might use to abstract input events.

Is anyone else noticing periodic phasing/chorusing on some captures?

I was shredding it up on the couch last night using the Tonex pedal through my usual AT-50x cans, tuned out for a minute to catch up on the movie I had been watching, and when I started playing again, there was a very prominent chorusing/phasing/flanging effect in the capture I had been playing through. No settings changed. I should have recorded which capture it was, but I feel like I've noticed this on some other captures as well - IIRC predominantly higher gain Mesa style amps?

I haven't noticed this behavior in the plugin or standalone app, but I tend to use the hardware more.

Coming from an audio engineering and software engineering background - this isn't the kind of phasing/filtering you get from poor phase coherence with a multi-mic setup. It felt more like something drifted out of sync over time and was now oscillating at a very slow or maybe even variable rate.
Yes, but only on a few captures. It's odd. Playing a chord is mostly fine, but do some vibrato on a single note and it really accentuates it.

I think the 1 or two tone models where I notice it are from UrZeiT Great HighGain Amps Vol. 5 for sure and a little bit on Vol. 3. Originally, I thought he might have captured with some reverb or some delay so I turned those off in my Helix, but it's still there a little bit.

The issue is probably that the developer tied the actions directly to an input instead of a more abstract version of it that covers triggering it from the keyboard with Ctrl+left click. It's a simple mistake to make or could be a problem on a 3rd party library you might use to abstract input events.

Going to Mac from Windows several years ago, I don't know all of the Mac shortcuts.

So I never new about Ctrl Click for right click, I always used the 2 finger gesture on the trackpad or magic mouse and it works like a normal two button mouse. I only learned about ctrl-click once ToneX was released and Mac users were having issues.

The point I’m trying to make is that if I were to buy a new Mac and TONEX software today, out of the box, the contextual menu in TONEX wouldn’t be accessible, UNLESS I knew to activate that feature in macOS.

I shouldn’t have to open a support ticket or make a post in a public forum to figure out why I’m unable to delete a preset, import, etc.

Imagine installing Microsoft Word and not being able to type an exclamation point. IK is obviously aware of this and has yet to address it.

This is BASIC functionality FFS!

Sorry if this issue has been discussed, but I 'd love to blend a Tonex amp profile with a Tonex stomp profile and export this as a Tonex preset. Is this feasible? Maybe in amplitube? But amplitube doesn't seem to export tonex files.Thanks so much.

Back