Tonex Pedal....It's REAL

Meanwhile, somewhere along the way I guess I completely missed what these hour-long capture processes are all about. Can someone give a one-sentence explanation?

While that seems like it would make much better results than a one-minute process, having a/b’d so many indistinguishable profiles, I don’t see how it can be so much better. I get that if it’s more successful with certain amps that challenge the Kemper, that would be cool for high gain people. But if ToneX captures are still limited in terms of how changes are made after the fact vs component modeling, in similar ways to profiles, then isn’t it basically the same?
My guess is that its just training a larger model. The difference is probably only a couple percent in terms of accuracy, based on my experience in machine learning.

More details: I assume that they have some pretrained set of weights and all they're doing is fine tuning with the capture data. Then they might do some tricks at the end, weight sparsification, casting to fp16 or smaller, model distillation.

How long before tonex has all their effects built into a device for 700$. It might be a few mm too large for some folks though.

Um, longer than people here seem to believe, methinks. ToneX, we now know, was designed from the ground up to eventually be run in standalone hardware, and that's not the case for Amplitube.

Not that porting plugin software to hardware DSPs is impossible (L6, Fractal)... but it is a lot of work. Ask Neural DSP.

If IK were to package all their pedals into an all-in-one box, it would inevitably be bigger than some would prefer and ultimately isn't any better than just using what Fractal or Line6 offer already.

If IK were to package all their pedals into an all-in-one box, it would inevitably be bigger than some would prefer and ultimately isn't any better than just using what Fractal or Line6 offer already.

Not sure. They're offering Tonex and their VIR cabs already, none of which is available for either the L6 or FAS families. If they managed to port everything available in Amplitube as well, that'd be a damn mighty package, easily outnumbering the HX devices (not sure about the FAS stuff). Sure, one may argue about the quality, but at least some amps, pedals and FX are absolutely top notch.

Not sure. They're offering Tonex and their VIR cabs already, none of which is available for either the L6 or FAS families. If they managed to port everything available in Amplitube as well, that'd be a damn mighty package, easily outnumbering the HX devices (not sure about the FAS stuff). Sure, one may argue about the quality, but at least some amps, pedals and FX are absolutely top notch.
When the Line6 and Fractal stuff already do pretty much any tone you could think of, more is just more rather than better.

VIR cabs to me don't sound any better than Helix's more stripped down approach and Fractal is developing their own solution too.

The capture stuff is really the only differentiator and do you really need it when you have 78 amp models on Helix and 300 on Fractal?

Depends on what you are looking for. Some amp models are better than others on the Axe Fx. If I had a physical amp that didn't quite sound right on the Axe Fx the Tone X fill that gap

Depends on what you are looking for. Some amp models are better than others on the Axe Fx. If I had a physical amp that didn't quite sound right on the Axe Fx the Tone X fill that gap

....at a particular setting, maybe. Given that it takes 40-60 minutes to do a single capture of the highest quality, I don't expect Tonex packs to be that comprehensive as to cover what everybody would want from a given amp.

....at a particular setting, maybe. Given that it takes 40-60 minutes to do a single capture of the highest quality, I don't expect Tonex packs to be that comprehensive as to cover what everybody would want from a given amp.
I was more so coming from the point of view of someone has their favorite tube amps and want to capture "their" specific sound.

But yes, I've mentioned before how being someone with 0 tube amps, traditional modeling it more efficient for me

It takes about half that for me with my fairly old GTX. Of course; I am also waiting on a support ticket issue to get resolved so we'll see.

Given that it takes 40-60 minutes to do a single capture of the highest quality, I don't expect Tonex packs to be that comprehensive as to cover what everybody would want from a given amp.

I'd say it pretty much depends on the original's topology. In case the original controls are basically pre-gain and post-BMT, you should be able to get a lot out of one capture without deviating too far from the original. Obviously, with rather complexed amps, let alone those with whatever switches to noticeable alter their basic sonic footprint, that won't work.

I'd say it pretty much depends on the original's topology. In case the original controls are basically pre-gain and post-BMT, you should be able to get a lot out of one capture without deviating too far from the original. Obviously, with rather complexed amps, let alone those with whatever switches to noticeable alter their basic sonic footprint, that won't work.

Mostly agree, although I'll say that in my time with QC, I did tend to use almost all 8 distinct amp captures for any of factory captured amps in a given preset. Even with high-gain amps like the Friedman BE100, JP2C or Revv Generator 120, you're going to want captures of multiple channels and of the voicing switches associated with each.

So did a direct ToneX cap using my Grid Slammer, Badlander and JT Industries IR. Working with IK support on current cap issue.

Attachments

• GridSlammer_BL_withCab.txp
    37.7 KB · Views: 19
Back