Tonex Pedal....It's REAL

Didn’t he JUST say recently he was done with modeling?

Just a few days ago he was selling his Bella after saying that it was pushing all his buttons and what he'd been looking for all along.

I'd better not say much more about this, considering my very recent Bella history. Hello Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

Just a few days ago he was selling his Bella after saying that it was what pushing all his buttons and what he'd been looking for all along.

I'd better not say much more about this, considering my very recent Bella history. Hello Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office
I laugh at GASP not because his flipping, or his praise gear one day, flip it the next, it's that he somehow thinks he's still on a logical "path" to "solve problems" and arrive at a "perfect" gigging rig. Have some self awareness that you're just a gear Wh*re and move on.

I like Gasp but he definitely needs to just sit on his gear. There's no point flipping gear constantly if you keep buying the same things over and over. Just be okay with having a lot of stuff if that's what you want.

On the upside at least he does gig and use the gear.

I like Gasp but he definitely needs to just sit on his gear. There's no point flipping gear constantly if you keep buying the same things over and over. Just be okay with having a lot of stuff if that's what you want.

On the upside at least he does gig and use the gear.

I've actually found his recent reports fascinating in terms of his detailed thoughts on gear that I own or have owned. It's useful to have a different perspective.

This definitely has my interest. Ideally my “non-modelling” pedalboard would have this on there, so I had the option of using the board with an amp or just going direct with this, I’d have to figure out how to route everything to make that full do-able. The lack of stereo-ins doesn’t make it the best item to go at the end of a pedalboard, but there are always workarounds.

I’m glad they kept effects to a minimum, I’d ultimately prefer JUST amps, but I’m definitely not bothered by what little is there. I’m going to have to play with ToneX a bit more, I haven’t loaded it up since that first day.
Same here. I currently use the BluGuitar Amp 1 ME on my board and it's great run into a real cab, but does not work that well if you just want something you can run in stereo into studio monitors or headphones. I see the ToneX as something I could swap in its place, connect a few cables and have basically a multipurpose rig.

I hadn't actually tried the ToneX software before, just watched clips. I gave it a spin and got some rather tasty tones out of the Fender and Dumble models but god damn, the ToneX user interface is pretty awful. Half of it is trying to sell me something and the other half is a mess. I expect the pedal to be more user friendly but it will still probably require scouring through a bunch of crappier profiles to find the gems that work for you.

That said, I did get some good tones with my G&L Strat. I'm not going to say on par with Fractal, but definitely in a ballpark that made me happy to play them.

the ToneX user interface is pretty awful. Half of it is trying to sell me something and the other half is a mess.

I found this too. The personal details gathering during sign-up and the advertising creeped me out.

The ToneX installer then wanted access to directories that I didn't want to grant. The installer finally semi-failed on macOS Ventura (possibly because I denied permissions) and I couldn't recover it by re-running the installler, so I never got to try ToneX properly. But I did see a little bit of the fugly UI and the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

Having said all that, people here have been saying such favourable things about the captures that I _am_ interested in this affordably priced hardware, and I'll probably give it another spin.

Last edited:
So this is like having Amplitube 5 and Tonex in a hardware format ?
that sounds interesting

Same here. I currently use the BluGuitar Amp 1 ME on my board and it's great run into a real cab, but does not work that well if you just want something you can run in stereo into studio monitors or headphones. I see the ToneX as something I could swap in its place, connect a few cables and have basically a multipurpose rig.

I hadn't actually tried the ToneX software before, just watched clips. I gave it a spin and got some rather tasty tones out of the Fender and Dumble models but god damn, the ToneX user interface is pretty awful. Half of it is trying to sell me something and the other half is a mess. I expect the pedal to be more user friendly but it will still probably require scouring through a bunch of crappier profiles to find the gems that work for you.

That said, I did get some good tones with my G&L Strat. I'm not going to say on par with Fractal, but definitely in a ballpark that made me happy to play them.

Yeah, I tried it the first or second week it was out and kept having issues with it, I can’t even remember what anymore, but I think it was a common one when using Logic. I didn’t spend a whole lot of time searching for stuff, I just wanted to get a feel for it and I’ve never played with any kind of capture before, so I was curious.

This definitely wouldn’t be a studio tool for me, I’d just pick the captures I dug, load them on the pedal and forget about it until I gigged or jammed with someone outside of my apartment. The whole searching for a capture thing does not appeal to me for studio use, since I have an AxeFX I‘m familiar with already.

So this is like having Amplitube 5 and Tonex in a hardware format ?
that sounds interesting
No, this is like having ToneX alone in a hardware format. Apparently, there are rumors of a follow-up h/w product that would combine functionality from both Amplitube and ToneX, but that's still very much TBD.

His detailed thoughts change all the time though. If you see his posts over time you’ll notice that product X sounds not as good as Y which sucks compared to Z which is <X<Y<Z<X<Y…

Haha. Fair point!

I still find it interesting to read thoughts that aren't my own though. Even if I don't agree, it often allows me to engage my critical faculties and consider a new or alternative viewpoint that might not have occurred to me.

I laugh at GASP not because his flipping, or his praise gear one day, flip it the next, it's that he somehow thinks he's still on a logical "path" to "solve problems" and arrive at a "perfect" gigging rig. Have some self awareness that you're just a gear Wh*re and move on.
His way of arguing himself into and out of and back into the same piece of gear is priceless. Reminds me of:

Back