Tonex Pedal....It's REAL

I really feel like this pedal is supposed to be slapped on a pedalboard with other pedals to supplement what might be missing
Which is why I’m like, that’s way too big to fit in…

“That’s what she said.”

Damn it guys, stop it.
This video really outlines the value of this box.

First batch already sold out on Thomann, "In stock within about one week".

I skimmed the video, and he seems to use it with the Stomp in Snapshot mode MIDI controlling the TONEX…? “So powerful, three snapshots.”

No dude, keep ‘em separate, use all 6 footswitches.

No dude, keep ‘em separate, use all 6 footswitches.
If you don't need more than clean, rhythm and solo tones, no point in doing it over 6 switches. This way you change your amp and all effects for the selected tone with a single switch.

I really feel like this pedal is supposed to be slapped on a pedalboard with other pedals to supplement what might be missing
I agree, but there’s no reason not to present the functionality that is already there (i.e. what isn’t missing at all) as intuitively and efficiently as possible.

I’ll withhold judgement until mine actually arrives, but based on what little I’ve seen in videos, @Sascha Franck is right: (some) simple things like changing reverb settings, etc. appear to be poorly organized, spread across too many screens with too many button presses, etc. I’m not looking for the pedal to do any more than it already does (especially at this price), but any given effect’s params should be spread across the encoders on a single screen (or as few possible), in the same way Gain/ Tone/ Vol are in the main view.

Not a call for a stompbox to be all things to everyone, just simple UI optimization stuff. (First world usability problems. I expect the ToneX is going to kick a$$ either way. We’ll know soon enough.)

Last edited:
It plays apparently really good amp captures in a box only slightly bigger than an HX stomp for $399, and people are crying that its too big.

TGF is starting to make TGP seem like the sensible place. That’s a pretty special accomplishment, well done….

D
“it’s perfect for me and everyone else is exactly the same as me or they’re wrong “

For me I’d love a player box. Something you set up with the computer and it switches with midi. Really doesn’t need knobs or switches or even much of a display.

Reactions: zib
Helix/HX + ToneX Pedal has insane value combined.
If one doesn't like Helix amp models but appreciates the mature switching capability, midi implementation, command center, effects, routing, etc., put the ToneX in the loop and patch a MIDI cable between them to control the ToneX with the Helix.

Helix LT + Tonex Pedal for 1200+400 = 1600$.
And you get Helix Native, Amplitube 5, ToneX Max... for FREE.

Neural DSP must be shitting their pants right about now.

Fwiw, can you set the pedal in a way one of the encoders is always acting as a non programmable master volume? The manual isn't saying anything about that.

So, what about the device latency of that thing? Anybody willing to run a test? Should be extremely trivial.
Very easy to measure.
All you need is a DI Box, an audio interface with 2 inputs, and a few 1/4" and XLR cables.

Start recording, briefly touch the DI box 1/4" input with your finger and count samples (time) between the two recorded inputs in your DAW.
Input 1 will have zero latency obviously since the DI box is completely analog.
Input 2 will have the total latency of the modeler (ADC+Processing+DAC).

latency measurement.png

Fwiw, can you set the pedal in a way one of the encoders is always acting as a non programmable master volume? The manual isn't saying anything about that.

Answering myself here, from the manual:

VOLUME (0 – 10)
Adjusts the master volume of the pedal. This volume is persistent across all the PRESETs, if you want to adjust the volume of a single TONE MODEL use the TONE MODEL’s volume (MODEL.VOL) inside the additional parameters

Uhm, seriously? So, to balance the output level of your patches against each other, you always have to enter the ALT menu?
That's an incredibly bad design decision (and I always thought this was extremely bad on, say, the HX Stomp already, but at least you can highlight the output block on each patch when saving, making the process easier).

Pairing some small MIDI knob controller with this might be a good move to give access to all the stuff that needs a lot of menuing.

I do hope IK will consider overhauling some of it to work like I proposed earlier in the thread, with the 5 knobs controlling a set of params to avoid a lot of one by one menuing.

A) Because I like to.
B) Because most of my gigs demand doing so.

Fair enough. It's a bit different for me. When I'm playing live I use multi-channel amps, and I know the amp so well that I'm at a place where really I just have to deal with the master volume most of the time. There are some sections in our songs where I will adjust the level of a particular channel, but that's not a balance thing so much as it being written into the song.

Back