Tonex, ended up sucking for me.

Modelling in itself just is. Depends on what you do with it. From a technical point of view. From a non-technical point of view this discussion doesn't even have anything to do with music. Most of them don't.
Is a calculator also cheating

e65.gif
Yeah, given that we are in the times of having plenty of sun-$1k options where the “problem” is “there’s just a little too much awesomeness to sort through…” I’m finding all the capture stuff to make less and less sense for those not making their own captures. If we are going to democratize tone, maybe have it be some sort of filtered representative democracy rather than chaos of a direct town meeting where everyone has a chance to speak/amend.

I’m finding all the capture stuff to make less and less sense for those not making their own captures.

Same here. There's so much great component based modeling, I don't see the reason to use a capturing unit myself - right now with the exception of a Kemper Toaster, but that's got nothing to do with the captures but because I just find to be ergonomically excellent.

Would possibly change for me in case I could really capture pretty much anything with very little effort. As in creating some wicked nested parallel, frequency splitted and what not scenarios in my DAW (or also partially outside of it) and then just - *kazzzong* - capture it perfectly without much tinkering regarding training time/methods and such. But it seems that capturing tech isn't there yet.

Same here. There's so much great component based modeling, I don't see the reason to use a capturing unit myself - right now with the exception of a Kemper Toaster, but that's got nothing to do with the captures but because I just find to be ergonomically excellent.

Would possibly change for me in case I could really capture pretty much anything with very little effort. As in creating some wicked nested parallel, frequency splitted and what not scenarios in my DAW (or also partially outside of it) and then just - *kazzzong* - capture it perfectly without much tinkering regarding training time/methods and such. But it seems that capturing tech isn't there yet.
Do you think component based modelling refers to actual electronic components being "modelled"? As opposed to "profiles" which is some sort of blackbox thing?

That is literally what component based-modeling is.
That's absolutely not what component based modelling means. Google is your friend. There's another thing that changed a lot since the stone age. Marketing!

It is every bit what it means in the land of guitar processing.
Yeah… like how digital and solid state are separate in the marke… I mean guitar world. Also like how Kemper is a “profiler”, not a “modeller”. :rofl

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amp_modeling_techniques#Axe-Fx_Standard_and_Ultra - at the bottom of the page.
You can get some insight right from the horse's mouth. Applies both to the profiler/modeller dilemma and to how modelling is implemented.
Then as you read upwards in the logs you'll start finding some mentions of "SPICE" which is what people refer to when they talk about component based modelling.

That said, the Tonex editor and the pedal never gave me any trouble whatsoever. Not once was I not able to do what I wanted to do although some of the UX design is a bit unintuitive. It's probably designed by people on the technical side - engineers. Not my favorite but the pedal sounds and feels so good it doesn't even matter.

They both ended up sucking sweaty, hairy goat balls for me. I would rather shoot my own titty off before using them again. If someone GAVE me one, I would sell it.

Bitter, a little, yes.

Back