To Harley Or Not To Harley, That Is The Question?

Hey Baby Flirting GIF

Hey, jumping in on your thread @la szum, hope that's okay and that things are getting better for you. :beer

This seems to be where all the TGF motorbike talk is.

So I've settled on the 2024 Honda Transalp, for now. Looks perfect for what I'm seeking, Going to go check one out this afternoon!

Just following up here. So, Ontario has a graduated licensing system and some pretty crazy issues getting insurance as a new rider, I'm learning. (I knew about the graduated licensing, but not the insurance difficulties.).

Being that it's so long since I've ridden, I'm classified as a new/beginner rider with insurance companies. In addition, I have to stay at the learner-permit level (M1) for 30 days, even though I will have taken the next level test by the end of the course next week (M2). And, there are very few companies that will insure an M1-level driver, and if they will, they'll only allow certain bikes.

So... I'm now looking at the Honda SCL500, their new Scrambler, as well as back to the Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, the latter of which I was interested in at the start of this, anyway. Transalp will have to wait, for now. :clint

When I went to look at and sit on the Transalp (all I can do, at this point, lol), the SLC500 actually caught my eye too, and was a lot more comfortable/inviting at my returning-rider stage. Going to check it out again today, as well as the 401.

**Correction: it’s actually 60 M1/learning permit days, so basically the whole summer. :grin :brick**

Last edited:
Just following up here. So, Ontario has a graduated licensing system and some pretty crazy issues getting insurance as a new rider, I'm learning. (I knew about the graduated licensing, but not the insurance difficulties.).

Being that it's so long since I've ridden, I'm classified as a new/beginner rider with insurance companies. In addition, I have to stay at the learner-permit level (M1) for 30 days, even though I will have taken the next level test by the end of the course next week (M2). And, there are very few companies that will insure an M1-level driver, and if they will, they'll only allow certain bikes.

So... I'm now looking at the Honda SCL500, their new Scrambler, as well as back to the Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, the latter of which I was interested in at the start of this, anyway. Transalp will have to wait, for now. :clint

When I went to look at and sit on the Transalp (all I can do, at this point, lol), the SLC500 actually caught my eye too, and was a lot more comfortable/inviting at my returning-rider stage. Going to check it out again today, as well as the 401.

Oh man! May you jump through the bureaucratic hoops with grace and dignity, TS!

Sounds like you are rolling with the punches and moving forward, rather than getting
hung up on what you are not able to do now. Probably all for the best! Can always
upsize later if you feel the desire to do so. :beer

I almost wrecked one time late at night.
Some farms here move their cattle across the road from fields to the barn.
It was a dark rainy night and as I was rounding a curve there it was right in front of me.
A huge patch of cow shit probably 5’ wide across the road.
Well the backend of my bike went into what can be described as a power slide.
🤦🏻‍♂️

Oh man! May you jump through the bureaucratic hoops with grace and dignity, TS!

Sounds like you are rolling with the punches and moving forward, rather than getting
hung up on what you are not able to do now. Probably all for the best! Can always
upsize later if you feel the desire to do so. :beer

Thanks!

Also I just fixed it, it’s actually 60 days compulsory learning-permit level, arrhgh.

Caroline County MD is where I cut one in half.
One of the most terrifying rides I ever did was from Minneapolis to Milwaukee, at night. As some of you might know, Wisconsin has a HUGE deer population and it is the biggest cost that car insurance companies pay out on in that state. Anyway, had to make it to Milwaukee quickly after leaving the Prince Celebration and about half the time of that ride, my legs were shaking as I pictured deer leaping in front of me as I am rolling down the highway at 70 MPH! Thanks goodness that did not happen, and if it did, I likely would have cut one in half as well ;~))

Glad you made it out to be able to tell the story!!

One of the most terrifying rides I ever did was from Minneapolis to Milwaukee, at night. As some of you might know, Wisconsin has a HUGE deer population and it is the biggest cost that car insurance companies pay out on in that state. Anyway, had to make it to Milwaukee quickly after leaving the Prince Celebration and about half the time of that ride, my legs were shaking as I pictured deer leaping in front of me as I am rolling down the highway at 70 MPH! Thanks goodness that did not happen, and if it did, I likely would have cut one in half as well ;~))

Glad you made it out to be able to tell the story!!
Since this thread has been going for over a year, I was almost about to repeat myself. :bonk

I'll link it instead. https://thegearforum.com/threads/to-harley-or-not-to-harley-that-is-the-question.2467/post-84338

I guess I am older than I can remember, because I did not remember posting the exact same stuff! Oh well, thanks for the reminder ;~))
Haha We're old. Repeating ourselves.... Refusing to put on my glasses... I think your post kinda reminded me..., I think we've discussed this somewhere..., oh shit! I hope it wasn't in this very thread. (Goes back to look.) Yep. :rofl

Thanks!

Also I just fixed it, it’s actually 60 days compulsory learning-permit level, arrhgh.

You can get an 180 day learning permit here in the States, but you are not
allowed to ride alone, with a passenger, or at night. Within that time-frame
you are expected to sign up for and pass a safety course licensed by the
State you live in.

I live in Elk Country where a rider hit an Elk a few miles away from where I live. Died
on impact.

I can't chuckle about that sort of stuff. Sorry. :idk
I’m not laughing at a person dying. Just saying elk and deer are in the woods, too. It’s not specifically a street danger.

Back