Time to get weird.

EOengineer

Shredder
My wife is out of town this week and it’s time to do a little redecorating.

Finally found a use for this table.

IMG_1709.jpeg

I thought you guys might also like what I’ve done with the living room.

image0.jpeg

So…I guess I should string some of this crap together tonight.

How do you dig the PastFX Chorus Ensemble? Ive been looking at it. I have their Elastic Mattress and it’s awesome.

tele neck->carcosa->deluxe
Crank that Bias and make that deluxe spit!
(im naughtier than hawktuah girl)
Following up - this sounded really cool with the bias up and the overdrive low enough to get some splat. Unfortunately the gating killed volume knob cleanup so I had to back that bias down some.

These settings are where I landed with the tele and deluxe for something that had Velcro edges but cleans up a bit to provide some compression and grit on the wonderful Fender cleans.

IMG_1715.jpeg

I have the bright cap on a pull knob on the bright channel volume control. I’ve yet to find an OD that can survive this amp’s stock bright cap, so I have the cap bypassed right now.

I have the bright cap on a pull knob on the bright channel volume control. I’ve yet to find an OD that can survive this amp’s stock bright cap, so I have the cap bypassed right now.

That's pretty slick. One of the biggest reasons I had no problems getting rid of my DRRI was for that exact reason.

That's pretty slick. One of the biggest reasons I had no problems getting rid of my DRRI was for that exact reason.
Despite the faceplate, this is a 78/79 Silverface with the pull boost nobody uses. I asked my tech to repurpose it like that when the amp went in for new caps a couple years ago and I’ll tell you - absolute game changer for this amp. There are times I want it, and other times I do not, can’t believe how much I can pull off with this amp having that option.

FWIW it’s like a $50 mod or $5 in parts if you are comfortable inside a tube amp. I am not.

I’m also considering a post phase inverter master volume just to try it on.

What does that mean? Is it that the amp is too bright for certain drive pedals in combination with single coils? I’m thinking about going with a “deluxe” type amp pedal for my pedalboard. Those are probably different than the real deal though.

What does that mean? Is it that the amp is too bright for certain drive pedals in combination with single coils? I’m thinking about going with a “deluxe” type amp pedal for my pedalboard. Those are probably different than the real deal though.

No matter what dirt pedal I put in front of the DRRI, it was extremely brittle and not pleasing at all, particularly the attack of the notes. I'm sure if I cranked the DRRI until it started giving some poweramp distortion it'd smooth out a bit, but that wasn't achievable in an apartment, I couldn't get that thing past 2 without being way too loud. In comparison to the Hot Rod Deluxe I had, it was a pretty big contrast. That HRD took pedals GREAT.

No matter what dirt pedal I put in front of the DRRI, it was extremely brittle and not pleasing at all, particularly the attack of the notes. I'm sure if I cranked the DRRI until it started giving some poweramp distortion it'd smooth out a bit, but that wasn't achievable in an apartment, I couldn't get that thing past 2 without being way too loud. In comparison to the Hot Rod Deluxe I had, it was a pretty big contrast. That HRD took pedals GREAT.
I love having a bright cap for cleans, but yeah quite a few drives/distortions don't like it. And fuzz? Forget about it. You have to really crank the amp up to make it better (essentially negating the bright cap effect). Often I would run my TS9 tone close to 0 when using a Fender style clean lol. I found the OD3 worked pretty good too.

I love having a bright cap for cleans, but yeah quite a few drives/distortions don't like it. And fuzz? Forget about it. You have to really crank the amp up to make it better (essentially negating the bright cap effect).
Yup this is exactly my experience. You either crank the amp until the bright cap is no longer active, remove the cap, or do weird things to your pedals.

Learning all of this through experience also helped me appreciate the bright switches you see on some of the other blackface amps.

I’d never want to permanently remove the bright cap. I usually try to find a way to put them on switches, which I’ve done here and on my 1959 & 2204 heads. It’s IMO essential.

There needs to be more debauchery and naughtiness for things to be considered weird in my book .... This is just normal.....where is the weird?!?!?!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Well the only request so far was the tele -> Carcosa - Deluxe which was awesome.

Not to worry, the wife travels every couple weeks for work so I’m planning to keep this thread running over time. I also just ordered a little tripod so I can record some of this stuff easily - will be fun to see what kind of noise we can conjure up moving forward.

Back