NBD: Yamaha TRBX505 [Edit: Ibanez SR605E]

TheTrueZoltan!

Shredder
I originally wanted to buy an Ibanez SR605E, but after 2.5 months of waiting, the expected delivery time has been postponed again. So I went looking for an alternative and found a great deal on this used Yamaha TRBX505, which arrived yesterday in pristine condition (only the frets could do with a bit of polishing). The first impression after the obligatory string change, fingerboard oiling and quick setup is very positive. I'm a little bit surprised at the relatively low output, but the overall sound and playing feel are great. Next week it's off to Thomann for a full PLEK service and then it should be ready to go.

IMG_0788.jpeg

Last edited:
I originally wanted to buy an Ibanez SR605E, but after 2.5 months of waiting, the expected delivery time has been postponed again. So I went looking for an alternative and found a great deal on this used Yamaha TRBX505, which arrived yesterday in pristine condition (only the frets could do with a bit of polishing). The first impression after the obligatory string change, fingerboard oiling and quick setup is very positive. I'm surprised at the relatively low output, but the sound and playing feel are great. Next week it's off to Thomann for a full PLEK service and then it should be ready to go.

[pic]
Nice! This constantly makes my shortlist when I'm in the odd bass-buying mood.

Sweetness. Congrats! Yamaha makes some really killer basses.Surprised they always seem so overlooked when people are talking up bass guitars.

Now, crank out some Before the Creation of Time!

Sweetness. Congrats! Yamaha makes some really killer basses.Surprised they always seem so overlooked when people are talking up bass guitars.

Now, crank out some Before the Creation of Time!
Haha, I actually just played the main riff from The One Insaaaiiiiyyyne this morning. Catchy AF.

Damn, after months of waiting, the Ibanez SR605E is now available again, just when I bought the TRBX. I guess I'll order it and keep the one I prefer. :idk

I have just canceled the PLEK service for the TRBX for the time being until I have decided on one of the two basses. I'm still not 100% sure about the TRBX. It sounds good, but the output is really surprisingly low, and I haven't been able to adjust it well enough to find a satisfactory compromise between low action and string buzz. In the meantime, I've read a few reports of owners complaining about string buzz due to poor fret work. However, this should be fixable by a PLEK service. I'm curious to find out how I like the Ibanez.

Last edited:
Damn, after months of waiting, the Ibanez SR605E is now available again, just when I bought the TRBX. I guess I'll order it and keep the one I prefer. :idk

I have just canceled the PLEK service for the TRBX for the time being until I have decided on one of the two basses. I'm still not 100% sure about the TRBX. It sounds good, but the output is really surprisingly low, and I haven't been able to adjust it well enough to find a satisfactory compromise between low action and string buzz. In the meantime, I've read a few reports of owners complaining about string buzz due to poor fret work. However, this should be fixable by a PLEK service. I'm curious to find out how I like the Ibanez.
I've owned two Yammies and multiple SRs. Right now I have three SRs and no Yammies (an SR305, SR300 and SR500). Overall, I think the SR body is more comfortable, the neck/fretboard better suited for my hands and I love the Powerspan pickups in the SRs. The Bartolinis are pretty sweet too. Will be curious to see which you prefer.

The one thing I can definitely say I absolutely don‘t like about the Yamaha is the 23-5/8 fingerboard radius. I normally don‘t really care that much about the radius but this just feels too flat. I guess I‘ll prefer the 12“ radius of the Ibanez.

It's here! And it sounds much brighter and clearer than the TRBX, which seems somehow dull and lifeless in direct comparison. And although I tuned down the Ibanez two half steps without correcting the string action or neck relief, there is no string buzz at all.

IMG_0794.jpeg

Even though Ive been severely disappointed with every new Ibanez guitar Ive touched over the last decade, they’ve managed to consistently drop amazing Soundgear basses that entire time. Congrats!

Back