Thinking about getting a PODHD400

I'd at least get something like the Mooer GE200, something that can load IR's. That makes an enormous difference. Hotone Ampero, maybe?

Hotone and GE200 appear to be out of budget :cop

Although looks like a GE150 could be, and still has the ability to load IRs.

I'm not looking for earth shattering amazing tones here, just an improvement over the direct out of my JVM

Now I’m thinking maybe I should just grab a used regular captor

If that would work

Tbh I don’t totally understand all his high tech stuff. Am I able to connect a captor to one of my heads and not have to connect a cab from the thru output? Head >captor>mixer?

I know this works with the captor x

I offered $80 on the bean. If they accept I’ll do it, that’s very little skin off my ass even if I don’t dig it :idk

I still see a captor in my future at some point but I’m on the fence about the regular vs. the X. I’d vastly prefer the X but I’m not spending $300 used right now

Obligatory mention for whatever multi thousand $$$$ modeler I prefer.

Seriously though if you aren’t happy with the amps direct out, you might be underwhelmed with the HD400 as the cabs are not impulse responses…things are going to feel a little stiff. Adding an impulse response box would be another $100+.

If you don’t use much in the way of fx, I’d focus on something that provides impulse response support and a couple amp models, as that’s probably going to be the sauce you are looking for to get better distorted tones when going direct.

Obligatory mention for whatever multi thousand $$$$ modeler I prefer.

Seriously though if you aren’t happy with the amps direct out, you might be underwhelmed with the HD400 as the cabs are not impulse responses…things are going to feel a little stiff. Adding an impulse response box would be another $100+.

If you don’t use much in the way of fx, I’d focus on something that provides impulse response support and a couple amp models, as that’s probably going to be the sauce you are looking for to get better distorted tones when going direct.

Fair points. I feel like I could deal with “stiffness” tho… My frustration with the JVM out isn’t so much the feel but the distortion seems to be straight up clipping and grainy no matter how low I run the levels and gain on the mixer. Frankly I’d go as far to say that it would be unusable to try and use it for live or recording :idk

Some further posts in the thread, there is an HD bean with foot controller locally for $100, j offered $80 on it. If they accept I’ll give it a shot at that price. It’s been well over 10 years since o had the HD500, and while playing the cab sims thru headphones couldn’t compare to the amps I had at the tkme, I feel like it still sounded better than the direct sounds from the JVM

I’m a little unclear on the IR situation with the regular captor, saying I’m a novice in regards to some of this newer tech would be an understatement

I think you’ll have better luck with an HD Bean than the out of a JVM. Those DI outs are pretty mediocre. I had a HD Bean for quite awhile, and loved it.

And in fairness to the JVM, we’re talking what, 2006? Fantastic amp otherwise. And if I only was playing clean or very low gain that out would be fine. Just falls apart with gain. And the JVM has a shit ton of that :rofl

And in fairness to the JVM, we’re talking what, 2006? Fantastic amp otherwise. And if I only was playing clean or very low gain that out would be fine. Just falls apart with gain. And the JVM has a s**t ton of that :rofl
Yeah it is what it is. Is it even a digital output, or is it analog cab sim? I don’t remember. I’d have to look at the used one here. It is a great amp otherwise.

I guess if you really can get the HD and foot control for $80 that seems like kind of a no brainer. Looking around, there’s not a lot out there to compete with that. You can also run dual amp with the HD, which could help get some killer results.

Back