The Pot Partaker's Lounge

Speaking from personal experience, unless one is willing to do everything that the farms do, a personal grow will never match what can be purchased cheap. Even at regular prices, it’s more cost effective to simply purchase whatever you want at a dispensary. 420 is upon us, gonna score some killer indica and maybe some hybrid. I’ve been enjoying some Jet Fuel Gellato as of late. Man, what heavy high…
fast times at ridgemont high minds GIF

A friend of mine (since 1998) started as a medical grower in Cali in 1996, it's first year for medical AFIK. He made good money for about 20 years, and then things fell apart. My last personally grown crop was 10 plants (most I am allowed) and I yielded 20oz of really good stuff, but I smoke maybe a 1/4 oz per month, so that was 80 months of bud. I ended up giving away WAY more than I smoked (which I was totally fine with as were the recipients). Now my friend is getting me oz's of descent stuff for $100 which is way better than me spending the time and effort of growing it myself IMO. I do love the process, and the plant, but for my personal needs, it's just not worth my time at the moment. First crop I ever did was 1989! I do still have some interesting seeds that I picked up in Amesterdam a few years back, but like the seeds I brought back from there in 1999, they will probably go bad before I get to sprouting them. Oh well, I have plenty of good smoke and that's all that counts ;~)) Happy 4/20 folks (in less than 48 hours)!!!!

Growing indoors stinks and electricity is expensive now. You'll deal with bugs at some point. Your time is valuable too. Trimming sucks if you do it right. Did I mention that time is valuable? Haha

No thanks. Not for me. I'll buy it as long as it's this cheap and this good quality.

But i respect that if you like the process more power to ya. Some people enjoy brewing beer and I just thought it was a chore lol.

I got a plant one time from an uncle who got it from a friend. It was basicly treated like a houseplant so had no hopes of being anything substantial. After researching everything involved I let it ride under some lights on a timer until a very forgettable harvest.

I know a guy who is deep into the hobby, spends all his money on grow tech. Grow tents with cameras running 24/7. More intricate than my guitar or studio rig, hitting everyone up for money toward the end of the month. If I can can get my car to work and back I'm doing good.

I don't need another hobby

Reading all this makes me wonder whether I'm actually living on the same planet. I mean, not to put any of you US folks off, but the USA aren't exactly wellknown for being all progressive and what not (at least not when it comes to such things). But then, here we are in good old Germany, up to this day owning even rather small amounts of weed is still forbidden and in some parts of Germany (Bavaria... *yuck*) they can still get you jailed.
It's just a few days ago that the plans for new laws were presented officially - but it's still going to take some months for them to be effective. And it's not as if those new laws were all great and what not. You are now allowed to grow 3 plants for your own consume. Uh, ok - what if all three of them are male? And you're also allowed to only carry 25 grams at any one time. So, what if I just harvested 250g of some plants in my garden and want to take them home? 10 bike rides? WTF? Also, those 25g don't say anything about the quality. So it could as well be that you're just carrying the rest of the plant after harvesting (leaves and branches) to dispose them and get arrested because it's more than 25g - sure, that's not gonna happen, but it goes to show just *how* absurd things are over here.
And then there's still plenty of politicians claiming that marihuana would be *the* entry level drug for each and every person to get into harder stuff (such as heroine and what not), which has been proven utter nonsense multiple times.
At the same time, people over here are allowed to purchase pretty cheap hard alcohol (by now, hard alcohol is almost cheaper than anywhere else in the EU, maybe with the exception of Poland, Hungary and some other former east countries) and you can consume it anywhere without any restrictions, too.
It's pathetic, really.

Reading all this makes me wonder whether I'm actually living on the same planet. I mean, not to put any of you US folks off, but the USA aren't exactly wellknown for being all progressive and what not (at least not when it comes to such things). But then, here we are in good old Germany, up to this day owning even rather small amounts of weed is still forbidden and in some parts of Germany (Bavaria... *yuck*) they can still get you jailed.
It's just a few days ago that the plans for new laws were presented officially - but it's still going to take some months for them to be effective. And it's not as if those new laws were all great and what not. You are now allowed to grow 3 plants for your own consume. Uh, ok - what if all three of them are male? And you're also allowed to only carry 25 grams at any one time. So, what if I just harvested 250g of some plants in my garden and want to take them home? 10 bike rides? WTF? Also, those 25g don't say anything about the quality. So it could as well be that you're just carrying the rest of the plant after harvesting (leaves and branches) to dispose them and get arrested because it's more than 25g - sure, that's not gonna happen, but it goes to show just *how* absurd things are over here.
And then there's still plenty of politicians claiming that marihuana would be *the* entry level drug for each and every person to get into harder stuff (such as heroine and what not), which has been proven utter nonsense multiple times.
At the same time, people over here are allowed to purchase pretty cheap hard alcohol (by now, hard alcohol is almost cheaper than anywhere else in the EU, maybe with the exception of Poland, Hungary and some other former east countries) and you can consume it anywhere without any restrictions, too.
It's pathetic, really.

Over here we had police chiefs coming out before the laws went in effect stating how they were going to handle things, not all, but some. Most of the time it turned into “We’re just not going to pay attention to weed anymore” and the only time people get questioned about it is if they’re caught driving while smoking or if they’ve got an absurd amount on them. I remember when Massachusetts decriminalized it there were a few chiefs who were happy about it, they’ve got a crazy opioid issue up there and the cops saw it as “Good, we can stop paying attention to the little stuff and focus on the stuff that’s actually killing people”

Hahaha and some took the “What’s the point in ticketing people over it? A $25 infraction where they don’t even need to present an ID? I’m not going to have my force waste their time on that”

It's pathetic, really.

yea i dont want to get into politics but i am sure our country can look very backwards on numerous issues from the outside these days. but i think on pot legalization it really just comes down to the money or they never would have done it. and it still certainly varies by area. some states have rejected recreational legalization when it was on the ballot so its not like we all agree on it yet.

It's literally a weed, and one of the hardiest plants this Earth has ever seen. If it's hard to grow it's not the plant's fault.
Who are you replying to?

It's only a FTJ if you do it indoors, off season, and have no setup or any idea of what people will tell you is "necessary" for a grow these days.

It's much easier to plant outside if you don't live near a school.

Although cannabis is truly one of the hardiest plants on this planet, growing good bud is not really just about put it in the ground and come back in 5 months. Ninety percent of the potency of the plant is going to come from the strain, so that is not controlled by the grower. The issue is getting a good tasting and quantity from your harvest, and that is not a drop it in the soil and fuhget about it IME ;~))

Both indoors and outdoors can take a LOT of time and each has their advantages/disadvantages. Indoors, you control the environment. This means lighting, nutrients, protection from elements (weather, predators, thieves, law enforcement) are all under your control and if done right can produce higher yields and better tasting final product. On the down side, you have added costs and maintenance to control mold, the watering, nutrients, etc. Outdoors, you have to deal with weather, predators, thieves, law enforcement, etc. to a much higher degree. In the area I live, we have very high humidity so it is difficult to grow many indica varieties outdoors due to the general thickness of the buds. The problem there is, when it rains (great plants are watered, I am good - NOT), the water can get trapped inside those thick buds and not fully evaporate, giving mold the moisture it needs to grow. I have seen several outdoor grows (not mine but others who did not understand this issue) yield zero smokeable content due to mold issues like this. Most sativa's have a much tighter bud structure and smaller and thinner buds which helps to alleviate this issue. Many sativa strains are more naturally mold resistant as well. Then of course there is the whole trimming and curing processes which can also significantly affect your outputs quality.

Anyway, it does grow very easily, but that does not mean getting the output you are looking for is also easy. Indoors and outdoors have their challenges as do the curing and trimming processes ;~)) As said however, at this point it is a huge time drain considering the market prices IMO! Happy 4/20 everyone (already 4/20 in Japan as I write this)!!!

It's pathetic, really.

Many State Constitutions allow for voter driven referendums. So you go and have
people sign a petition to have an initiative put on the ballot. Gather enough signatures
and if they are deemed legal and valid (signed by actual registered voters) then you
can get that initiative on the ballot. Once on the ballot it is up to the citizens of that State
to approve the measure.

The cool thing is once people vote it into law, then the legislatures cannot overturn those voter referendums.
They become locked by that State's Constitution.

As much flack as we see about the "death of democracy" these kinds of initiatives are democracies
in action at their best. Grassroots. Ground up. Voter empowerment.

People can say it is all about the money. Maybe now it is. But at the time the initiatives were passed
it was about Average Janes and Joes voting freely to enact those laws and make marijuana legal,
with the restrictions and regulations that were also a part of the ballot initiative.

4/20 pre sale = Sour Blueberry, Gorilla Zkittlez, Tahiti Lime, Grapefruit Durban, and Casey Jones.

It's insane how much supply there is here. You walk in and they throw free weed at you, and then
when you leave they throw some more free weed at you. Like getting married only the rice is pot! :love

So, how much do you folks usually pay per gram? Like for some averagely strong strain?

I buy ounces for like 70 or 80 bucks, saw 4/20 specials for 49. I don't think I've ever bought a gram, eighths are like 15 or 20 maybe 25 for top tier. The bottom is literally falling out of the market right now. I remember paying 300 to 350 for ounces back in the day.

I also buy grams of really good kief for 10 bucks which turns pretty good flower into loud.

Here's a couple places right by my house

I buy ounces for like 70 or 80 bucks, saw 4/20 specials for 49.

Wtf? That's pretty much dirt cheap, kinda like €2-3 per gram. Even in, say, the Netherlands, basically *the* western countries' role model for cannabis legalization, it's still something between €5-15 per gram. And I'd expect it to be more in Germany, once the laws are adjusted.
For the money you're paying, growing your own isn't worth the effort indeed, unless you're making a hobby out of it.

Gddaaaaaammmn, it’s still around $150-$200 on oz down here. Which still isn’t bad, considering 4 years ago the best you were going to get an oz for was $350 and that’s if you knew someone really well, if not, $400-$450.

Back