The moment you got to use that *one* effect you never get to use (digital multieffects)

ragingplatypi

Roadie
Which effect was it?

I’ve been using multi effects units for decades and there’s always that *one* effect that I make a patch for and never get to use.

This weekend I’ll get to use the Glitch Delay in the HX Stomp for a church gig (a welcome reprieve from big halls and shimmer).

20 years ago I got to use the MuTron model in the Vox ToneLab the one time we covered Mysterious Ways by U2.

The band I jam with every week does Cheap Sunglasses. I have a preset specific to that song that has one scene for the "Woo-Wooooo" thing in the middle section. It's tricky to pull off with either a whammy bar or slide, but with the Axe-FX I simply use a pitch black and volume block both controlled by a single foot controller, so when I select that scene with the controller in the heel down position the pitch is dropped an octave with the volume really low. As I sweep the foot controller toward the toe down position the pitch comes up while the volume simultaneously increases. I also have a fairly wet hall reverb for that scene.

It took a little bit of experimentation to get everything to sound right, but now it's a piece of cake to play that part.

I never used a lot of effects, but my current band has has a need for tremolo on more than one song. I’m not sure I’ve EVER used one before now.

I never used a lot of effects, but my current band has has a need for tremolo on more than one song. I’m not sure I’ve EVER used one before now.
I love tremolo when I’m playing on my own, but almost never get it to work in a full band because I lose so much attack

I always have to have a little delay on my leads. For cleans, I’m fine with a little bit of plate reverb. For the chugs, I want them dry and in your face.

This weekend I’ll get to use the Glitch Delay in the HX Stomp for a church gig (a welcome reprieve from big halls and shimmer).

A Church? You should try a Formant with the voices Aaa - Err - Ohh and create a diabolical effect like the "Poltergeist Pig" preset of the Axe-FX

poltergeist GIF

It can briefly be heard at the into of this song. From 0:07 to 0:011

Back