Am I really going back to ITB with Helix???

It’s easier to stay in the box if you don’t compare to other things. That’s true of practically any musical gear, not just Helix. I only went down this road because I spent some time with the FM3 and realized my reverb sounds weren’t as good as they could be.

This is one of the things I respect the most about someone like Tom morello. Pretty basic set of pedals, one amp and cab, two guitars for different tunings, and force yourself to do something awesome with that instead of constantly chasing a few more % out of some new toy.

Also nothing wrong with enjoying the gear side of things too though.

D

Hahahah you’re not wrong; the second I started trying pedals out I started buying a shitload more of them. 3 years previous to that I was 100% in the box and not even thinking about other gear.

What started off as “I just miss buying pedals and the excitement of them showing up” turned into “Holy sh*t, I didn’t even know I could get these tones and now I need to figure out how to incorporate these into a rig.” :rofl

Hahahah you’re not wrong; the second I started trying pedals out I started buying a shitload more of them. 3 years previous to that I was 100% in the box and not even thinking about other gear.

What started off as “I just miss buying pedals and the excitement of them showing up” turned into “Holy sh*t, I didn’t even know I could get these tones and now I need to figure out how to incorporate these into a rig.” :rofl

For me I can't bring myself to use an extra power supply to integrate some of my favorite pedals so I compromise and keep it ITB

For me I can't bring myself to use an extra power supply to integrate some of my favorite pedals so I compromise and keep it ITB

As silly as it sounds, the external power is the biggest reason I want to stay in the box now. It’s often a hassle needing additional power on stage, and after doing it for a while it got old. The difference I got out of it sonically just wasn’t big enough to justify it in the end.

D

As silly as it sounds, the external power is the biggest reason I want to stay in the box now. It’s often a hassle needing additional power on stage, and after doing it for a while it got old. The difference I got out of it sonically just wasn’t big enough to justify it in the end.

D

Exactly my feelings.

Yeah, that’s ultimately why I decided to build a pedals-only/non-modeling rig. I love using different drives with Fractal gear, but my FM9 board is already huge and I have zero interest in making it bigger with a power supply AND pedals. Maybe for an at-home only rig, but definitely not one I‘m going to be picking up regularly.

Yeah, that’s ultimately why I decided to build a pedals-only/non-modeling rig. I love using different drives with Fractal gear, but my FM9 board is already huge and I have zero interest in making it bigger with a power supply AND pedals. Maybe for an at-home only rig, but definitely not one I‘m going to be picking up regularly.

Walking into a place with your entire rig in one trip and setting it up in 15 seconds is a pretty cool thing. Also with breakdown at the end of the night it's so much better. I do like to have an amp on stage with me for monitoring but I am getting to where I don't even bother with that even though it's the best experience for me.

Walking into a place with your entire rig in one trip and setting it up in 15 seconds is a pretty cool thing. Also with breakdown at the end of the night it's so much better. I do like to have an amp on stage with me for monitoring but I am getting to where I don't even bother with that even though it's the best experience for me.

For sure. I just don’t gig nearly enough to start making concessions for ease of use, I still bring two 2x12’s everywhere my FM9 goes. If I were gigging a few times a week, yeah, I’d probably just be bringing a f*cking ipad to the gig and plugging into it. :rofl

Makes sense. I use a wireless system, so in any case I need external power for that. Hence, I use a small power supply with isolated outputs for the wireless receiver, buffer and reverb pedal on a pedaltrain nano board sitting next to my LT. But I could easily keep it ITB.

Cosmos echo is fun, anyone mess with that one?

Going to see if I can get an acceptable clean tone from the vitriol for my clean snapshots. Would love to ditch the sunn on my live patch to switch my pitch block to the poly pitch. I couldnt really get a good clean from the revv red but hopefully the invective can do it. I love the sunn for cleans but saving the dsp would be cool.

Taking the helix to a legit studio today to record. Going to be fun. I think I'll still double 57 mic my orange but comparing them is always interesting.

Back