The great purge is happening

Went last night, everything went great. I got what I expected to get which was fine with me. I knew going in how much of a hit I was expecting to take.

Except they wouldn’t take the gold Tele :confused:

It seems that Tele and I are stuck with each other, I can’t seem to find a way to get rid of it.

It’s a better guitar than any Fender I’ve ever played, yet I can’t sell it for less than a crappy player series.

Oh well.

So now on to deciding what to do next

Last edited:
Spill the beans, Mijo. We want all the deets! :LOL:

I was going through the books for the next show and realized in order to get the sounds I’ll need I’m going to have to invest in an attenuator and 2-3 pedals.

So I spent about a week looking into attenuators and deciding which pedals, and I just could bring myself to pull the trigger.

I realized I was at a crossroads where I needed to decide whether to keep investing more money into the amp rig, or go back to digital. And I just couldn’t bring myself to keep investing in the amp rig, my gut was complaining about that choice.

I was really torn because I realized that I love the sound and feel and response of a tube amp so much better, but I want/need the flexibility of digital. And I didn’t know which way to go.

With tube amps I keep finding myself thinking this sounds amazing, but I want to have 5-6 different settings of this amp saved and I want to instantly footswitch between them.

I want to have my /13 pushed into overdrive on the el84 side, and then be able to hit a footswitch and change to a clean Spanky tone in the 6v6 side. Same thing with the Marshall. I want 3 different settings of the Classic gain green channel with different EQ settings, and I want to switch between them.

I also started thinking about how much this tube rig has to keep growing, and will need to continue to grow to meet the needs I have. I started thinking is the difference in tone and feel worth carrying around an amp, plus an attenuator, plus a large pedalboard, and setting up and tearing down all that gear? It’s fine when it’s something like a 3-4 month run at a theater, but if I’m doing something like a one show fill-in somewhere I’m gonna be grumpy about lugging all that gear when I could just bring one compact device that does everything and more.

So it’s back to digital I go

Except they wouldn’t take the gold Tele :confused:

What was their reason concerning the Tele? Is it because it's not got "Fender" on the headstock?

Seriously, looks like a great guitar. If I wasn't trying to stop myself from buying more guitars, I would really love to own one like that.

What was their reason concerning the Tele? Is it because it's not got "Fender" on the headstock?

Seriously, looks like a great guitar. If I wasn't trying to stop myself from buying more guitars, I would love to own one like that.

Yeah, he told me they no longer take partscasters in trade.

Seriously, looks like a great guitar. If I wasn't trying to stop myself from buying more guitars, I would really love to own one like that.
Yeah, I've found my GC to be pretty averse to anything that they can't easily identify and comp. My Bacchus, even if I tell them what model it is and try to walk show them on the website (that is all in Japanese) how they can tell it is what I'm saying it is...they won't touch it with a ten foot pole. With a Warmoth, they don't wanna deal with having to truely go through it as closely as they would need to to make sure there isn't some sort of user-assemble error, etc. (of course those could exist on other guitars, but my guess is the rate of error on Warmoth is so high they've just put in a blanket "not gonna deal with it" rule).

Yeah, I've found my GC to be pretty averse to anything that they can't easily identify and comp. My Bacchus, even if I tell them what model it is and try to walk show them on the website (that is all in Japanese) how they can tell it is what I'm saying it is...they won't touch it with a ten foot pole. With a Warmoth, they don't wanna deal with having to truely go through it as closely as they would need to to make sure there isn't some sort of user-assemble error, etc. (of course those could exist on other guitars, but my guess is the rate of error on Warmoth is so high they've just put in a blanket "not gonna deal with it" rule).

Yeah, it makes sense that they don’t take partscasters. I’m sure it’s really hit or miss and they probably don’t want to deal with it.

Mine was great about taking weird stuff. They even took my Joye mini-VUMP

I admire you for going all in and getting what you think you need. This has always ended horribly for me, to the point where I pretty much stopped selling gear because I just know I'm going to need it down the road. 8 months, 8 years, whatever.

Good luck to you sir.

Do they buy stuff outright? I've been hanging onto some stuff for the same reason (don't want to bother selling).

Do they buy stuff outright? I've been hanging onto some stuff for the same reason (don't want to bother selling).
yup. Cash up to $500 I think at mine, check for anything above that. They'll encourage you to buy something new at 10% off, but whether or not you do that has no impact on the price they offer me at mine.

Yeah, they buy stuff outright. Under $1,000 they’ll pay you cash, over $1,000 they’ll write you a check.

I was going through the books for the next show and realized in order to get the sounds I’ll need I’m going to have to invest in an attenuator and 2-3 pedals.

So I spent about a week looking into attenuators and deciding which pedals, and I just could bring myself to pull the trigger.

I realized I was at a crossroads where I needed to decide whether to keep investing more money into the amp rig, or go back to digital. And I just couldn’t bring myself to keep investing in the amp rig, my gut was complaining about that choice.

I was really torn because I realized that I love the sound and feel and response of a tube amp so much better, but I want/need the flexibility of digital. And I didn’t know which way to go.

With tube amps I keep finding myself thinking this sounds amazing, but I want to have 5-6 different settings of this amp saved and I want to instantly footswitch between them.

I want to have my /13 pushed into overdrive on the el84 side, and then be able to hit a footswitch and change to a clean Spanky tone in the 6v6 side. Same thing with the Marshall. I want 3 different settings of the Classic gain green channel with different EQ settings, and I want to switch between them.

I also started thinking about how much this tube rig has to keep growing, and will need to continue to grow to meet the needs I have. I started thinking is the difference in tone and feel worth carrying around an amp, plus an attenuator, plus a large pedalboard, and setting up and tearing down all that gear? It’s fine when it’s something like a 3-4 month run at a theater, but if I’m doing something like a one show fill-in somewhere I’m gonna be grumpy about lugging all that gear when I could just bring one compact device that does everything and more.

So it’s back to digital I go

I get that. I'd probably do the same thing. The convenience and portability (and routing options) just can't be beat.

Even though I am sure some dude leaning on a 4 x 12 in his garage disagrees. :LOL:

Have you decided what digital route and how you are going to monitor?

Not to mention, @metropolis_4, you’re in NYC, right? So I can imagine hauling that sh*t around isn’t always the easiest thing. I don’t think I’d bother owning a vehicle if I lived in Manhattan, my heart couldn’t take it, I’m already a white knuckle driver in South Florida with long, straight roads.

Yeah my experience the handful of time I’ve sold to GC is it ranges from 40-60% depending on how popular the item is, and/or how much of an established value there is for the item in their system. I took a good stumping on my MI Gemini 212 as they couldn’t really establish a good value for it. Ended up at 40% of new value. On some popular items I’ve been surprised they’d go to 60%, which if stacked with the additional 10% off towards another purchase turns out pretty solid.

I was going through the books for the next show and realized in order to get the sounds I’ll need I’m going to have to invest in an attenuator and 2-3 pedals...So it’s back to digital I go.

Not a surprise coming from me but...

fm9-top-1920.webp

The scribble strip says "RESERVE YOURS TODAY!"

Not to mention, @metropolis_4, you’re in NYC, right? So I can imagine hauling that sh*t around isn’t always the easiest thing. I don’t think I’d bother owning a vehicle if I lived in Manhattan, my heart couldn’t take it, I’m already a white knuckle driver in South Florida with long, straight roads.

I swear he mentioned Chicago once upon a time. :idk

54 and an herbalist, so not sure how reliable that would be. :LOL:

Yeah my experience the handful of time I’ve sold to GC is it ranges from 40-60% depending on how popular the item is, and/or how much of an established value there is for the item in their system. I took a good stumping on my MI Gemini 212 as they couldn’t really establish a good value for it. Ended up at 40% of new value. On some popular items I’ve been surprised they’d go to 60%, which if stacked with the additional 10% off towards another purchase turns out pretty solid.

I heard they deal in human organs and tissue, too. :crazy

Back