The Gear Forum designs a next-gen digital modeler!

So, your turn to tell me which modeler would be able to do this.
If that is your specific use case why worry about doing it with a modeler?

In other use cases which were quite rack extensive the Axe-Fx III seems to be working fine as a replacement: Petrucci, Vai, Steve Stevens, among others.

If that is your specific use case why worry about doing it with a modeler?

I'm not exactly worrying, I just mentioned that this kinda standard thing when working with any loopswitcher based setup can't be done with any modeler on it's own (and fwiw, it's even just one of the things at least most of them can't do).

In other use cases which were quite rack extensive the Axe-Fx III seems to be working fine as a replacement: Petrucci, Vai, Steve Stevens, among others.

None of them is using only the Axe FX - which makes quite a difference.

Thank you.
May I give that back? That's been the dumbest counter argument I've seen.
Who wins?

What a well thought out response.

Charlie Sheen Applause GIF

Your argument is null in void on the basis you have no clue what you’re talking about.

Fwiw, this entire debate is going pretty much exactly like one of my first forays into the other place's waters.
I was lobbying for global blocks and most people were just telling me how they'd never need such a thing and how I'd be too stupid to program my patches properly before using them live, etc. Interestingly enough, it turned out that most of those folks never gig. Yeah, way to go.
It also turned out that by now (years later) quite some folks seem to understand how global blocks could be extremely useful to have. Heck, *the* role model of a flagship modeler, if there ever was one, has that functionality. And rest assured, it hasn't been added because I was asking for it... so there might be other folks to actually find that a decent idea.

Your argument is null in void on the basis you have no clue what you’re talking about.

Fine. Then feel free to tell me which modeler could do what I described above.
Otherwise it might possibly be a decent idea to step back from uncalled for ad hominem attacks.

Fwiw, this entire debate is going pretty much exactly like one of my first forays into the other place's waters.
I was lobbying for global blocks and most people were just telling me how they'd never need such a thing and how I'd be too stupid to program my patches properly before using them live, etc. Interestingly enough, it turned out that most of those folks never gig. Yeah, way to go.
It also turned out that by now (years later) quite some folks seem to understand how global blocks could be extremely useful to have. Heck, *the* role model of a flagship modeler, if there ever was one, has that functionality. And rest assured, it hasn't been added because I was asking for it... so there might be other folks to actually find that a decent idea.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Fine. Then feel free to tell me which modeler could do what I described above.
Otherwise it might possibly be a decent idea to step back from uncalled for ad hominem attacks.

That’s not how that works. You made the claim, you provide the evidence.

Do you fully understand how Fractal’s switching works with Scenes/Channels/Scene Ignore/Control Switches? It’s a yes or no
question.

How is pointing out that you’re incorrect an ad hominem attack? Am I on Reddit?! Twitter?!

Sure. But as said, being able to globally adjust certain parameters (such as amp setting) sort of addresses part of the "issue" as well, if sort of the other way around.
Which is an issue for you. Pretty sure people here understand what you’re sharing.

Maybe the issue is you're trying to squeeze too many things into a single preset and that's why you find them limiting?? I'm working in a very similar way to you, I even ran the numbers once.

On our last album when we play it live, if we play every song, then with my Marshall JVM410HJS amp and my Helix:

I use 7 different amp channels/modes.
I use 5 presets - one for each song (they're long songs!!)
In each preset I use between 4 and 8 snapshots, with a few additional switches for specific individual effects.
The snapshots also change effect mix+feedback+decay settings along with the channel on the amp.

I make it work.

I've also tried the more traditional approach of using snapshots just to control the amp and any gain effects, and taking any spatial effects out of the snapshots and turning them on like you would a traditional pedalboard. It works, but requires more tap dancing.

Honestly... There's so much I am pernickity about.... and I don't feel limited by the Helix or Axe FX III. Not to any detriment of the music anyway, which is the entire point of jumping through these hoops.

I still don't fully understand what a "modulation loop" is ... did you mean looper pedal... or modulation pedal?? I'm confused.

Interestingly enough, it turned out that most of those folks never gig.
Been gigging consistently since 2008. Is it every single weekend? No. Coz I'm not a weekend warrior playing to mums in a wine bar. I'm making epic cinematic emo-poetry art-metal and we don't need to play it every single weekend, or even every single month. We play shows when we want to.

I don't think it makes much sense to be elitist about the live performance thing - many guitarists who play live wouldn't recognise your difficulities either, and that's simply because most of them use an amp and a tubescreamer and perhaps a delay pedal if they're feeling saucy.

I don't think it makes much sense to be elitist about the live performance thing - many guitarists who play live wouldn't recognise your difficulities either, and that's simply because most of them use an amp and a tubescreamer and perhaps a delay pedal if they're feeling saucy.

I'm not even remotely trying to be elitist - but in case someone playing live might not even understand, how would someone not gigging do better?

Back