The Food Thread

Anyone likes sea food?
I like shrimps because it's the only sea food besides fish I've tried, never had more exotic sea food like oysters or lobster.
Shrimp and lobster are great but I don't love eating any seafood that I need to peel out of its shell myself. I mean sure, it takes me closer to see where the food is coming from, but it's a lot of work and those things have too many legs!

Speaking of insects, I've had some crickets. They were really well fried and spiced and tasted like a crunchy chip. Again it took a bit to get around the idea of eating something with too many legs but it wasn't bad.

Fish is fine. Made some teriyaki salmon last weekend. Water, soy souce, mirin, sake and sugar in equal proportions (about 1/2 dl is enough for two people), cook on low to medium heat until it thickens. Put butter in a pan, let it cook there a bit, throw in a filet of salmon, cook for a minute or two skin side down, turn to other side for another minute. Depends a bit on the thickness. Baste with butter as it cooks. Serve with rice and some veggies. Yum!

Food thread turns into a food fight about what is better and what is not better. Typical Gear Forum Shi-ite! :LOL:

Food and cooking is my co-passion with music. If I had to choose between the two I would just murder the
person forcing me to do so. :horse

I cook from scratch pretty much every time I eat at home. I don't do frozen foods or prepakaged box stuff. I also
rarely eat out. I can do it better here and for less $$, which means more $$ for Gear. :banana

Last big purchase was an Whole Rib Loin, which I then cut into 1 and 1/2" steaks and freeze individually to
be cooked at a later date. 12 ounces a piece so I get about 20 steaks out of a 15lb Loin. Will last me all winter,

I also buy a ton of Cookbooks. I believe good multi-ply Stainless Pots and Pans are the only way to go, unless
you are searing in a Cast Iron Skillet. Having the Gear is important to a good cook and the all important food
outcome. Still screw up, too. Mistakes will happen, and sometimes you have to re-record your parts no matter
how skilled you are. :LOL:

802034D1-E1DB-406D-9BD5-57C686B2A402.jpeg

Pasture raised local chicken

B9B1685D-B2F5-42EC-B5CF-9988A76C8425.jpeg

2621C7DC-BFE0-42F0-873F-1403CE9B9B8E.jpeg

Black Angus KC Prime roast

9B0A90F9-9F3A-4916-9130-79913CF2A1F6.jpeg

Strip steaks

4B1673E8-3554-4F44-9D2D-D5EEAA4742C3.jpeg

Stroganoff w/ tenderloin ( no sc yet)

DAAF6AC7-7694-4EE5-8FA2-BC6BEF3BAF4C.jpeg

Short ribs

2B102D0A-2E79-492A-8E6A-93C0AAB9C82A.jpeg

Wife bakes 😉

Last edited:
Never tried insects. Definitely would if given the chance.

Go to Africa or Asia. Roasted insect stuff all over the place. Theoretically would try myself if I had the chance again (was a pass for me the first time), but as I'm living pretty much vegetarian (not dogmatically, though), I think I'd pass again.

Nothing in the world is better than the smell of yeast-raised bread being freshly baked.

At one time around the age 26 or so, I worked in a French bakery/deli… we also sold bread and pastries to local restaurants. (I still carry some of those boules, croissants and napoleons w me to this day!)

Everyone wanted Chipotle tonight, just not my wallet. Whipped this up a few months and have been slowly dialing it in. Tastes very close, if not identical. Figured I’d share it with y’all:

Chipotle Chicken Marinade

1 Tsp Cumin Powder
4 Garlic Cloves
1 Tsp Dried Oregano
1 Tsp Kosher Salt
1 Tsp Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 Tablespoon Neutral Oil
1/2 7oz Can of Chipotle Peppers
  • Purée ingredients in food processor or blender. Add water as needed to adjust viscosity.
  • Marinate 6 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs or 2 lb chicken breast (butterflied or pounded flat), for no less than 24 hours.
  • Grill on high heat until internal temp of 165F.
  • Alternatively, broil on top rack for 15 minutes or until internal temp of 165F.
EDEF0307-F0D1-420D-9E05-E38D2CAAD4EB.jpeg

Last edited:
Starting a week of night shifts today so had to prep some food for the weekend.
One of the Thai dishes I love to make is Pad Kra Pao

Started with throwing 8 s Thai chilies(hot!) in the pestle and mortar, after those were made into a paste almost I threw in 6-7 cloves of garlic.
Threw it in the pan with one minced small onion.
After a few minutes in with 400g of minced pork.
When the pork is close to done I add the sauce.

Sauce:
2 tablespoons of Mushroom soy sauce
2 tablespoons of Oyster sauce
2 teaspoons of fish sauce
1 tablespoon sugar

Not typical Thai but I added some carrot just for extra health :giggle:
After a couple minutes I added a chopped red bell pepper.
After a minute I threw in the holy basil and it was done.

Gives me 3 250g portions I eat with some Jasmine rice.

IMG_0058.jpeg

Spicy and really tasty!

OK, in that texmex spirit, I’ll share what I’m doing with beef/ flank/skirt steak these days.

I prefer skirt steak for this… But I really like Tacos Al Carbon, it’s a takeoff on Carne Asada.

That’s about citrus juices from pineapples, limes, oranges, mixed in with a variety of different chilies like jalapeño, Serrano, habanero, poblano, Anaheim.

Blend it up to make a marinade, that I often add things like fish sauce, soy sauce, cilantro, and garlic, s&p.

Let it sit through for a day in the marinade.

Then burn it on the grill.

FAB36AB3-72E0-4E9F-AFEE-A3FB78CAB884.jpeg

BA3896E9-1524-4AB3-98B5-38F95F7CF4CF.jpeg

CFEDE019-C613-4010-84D1-C792EA9275BA.jpeg

E136DBB9-C490-499D-96DF-E6F8A4D989E1.jpeg

EF1A822B-A4D8-4804-B184-283A489D9989.jpeg

Homemade salsa too:

D6913BA4-0773-4F85-A3AB-8E789CBE1FFC.jpeg

After like 6 days in Mumbai, I decided to get into Indian food much more. It's just incredibly delicious. Too bad there's no such veggie markets in Germany (may post a pic or two when back, the ones I took are too large and I can't be bothered to find a tool to resize them on this phone). It's really unbelievable (some none food related things aren't, either, unfortunately most of them in rather not so great ways, to put it carefully).
Whatever, they really got that spice thing covered better than anyone else I know of.

After like 6 days in Mumbai, I decided to get into Indian food much more. It's just incredibly delicious. Too bad there's no such veggie markets in Germany (may post a pic or two when back, the ones I took are too large and I can't be bothered to find a tool to resize them on this phone). It's really unbelievable (some none food related things aren't, either, unfortunately most of them in rather not so great ways, to put it carefully).
Whatever, they really got that spice thing covered better than anyone else I know of.
100% I’m mostly Italian and I cook some form of Indian dishes at least twice a week. Once you get the taste for those spices, they’re addicting.

@norminal About 6 years ago, I bought a Zojirushi rice cooker and I felt guilty and conflicted at the time because it's damn expensive for a rice cooker.

Years later, I can hands down say that it's the best and most indispensible kitchen tool / gadget / appliance I've ever bought and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

@norminal About 6 years ago, I bought a Zojirushi rice cooker and I felt guilty at the time because it's damn expensive for a rice cooker.

Years later I can hands down say that it's the best and most indispensible kitchen tool / gadget / appliance I've ever bought and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
Absolutely! I’ve got my rice technique down pretty well now using just a pot and lid, but when I previously owned a rice cooker, that thing was priceless!

I felt guilty and conflicted at the time because it's damn expensive for a rice cooker.
Just need to add that I felt the exact way after purchasing my Comandante coffee grinder. The cost of entry was a little much, but that thing has completely changed the quality of my coffee brewing.

Back