The eagle has landed

Thanks!

Hot take as of right this minute:
1. LOUD AF. To be honest; neither amp is a home player type of amp. BL is better, I'd say; if only because it's "simpler"? I don't like my GK100s unless they are up LOUD so that is a related factor for me.

2. Heavy. Not a big deal at all. But for such a small package; the thing is THIIC.

3. Noisier than the BL but less so than the JP. I am assuming boosting all those highs via GEQ is probably the culprit?

4. Much better at increasing gain between cloned channels than the BL feels like? Not sure why. Much easier to go from crunch ch 1 to crunch ch 2 and feel like a progression and ease of volume balancing vs. using crunch on both BL channels. I could certainly gig this and not use outboard dirt pedals. Which is good on a streamlining things end.

I have some more LOUD time this weekend to feel things out a bit better. I like it through my dual 112s with IRs much better than the 412 with G12s at non-painful volumes. That MK IV mode is something else :satan B R U T A L

Thanks!

1. LOUD AF. To be honest; neither amp is a home player type of amp. BL is better, I'd say; if only because it's "simpler"? I don't like my GK100s unless they are up LOUD so that is a related factor for me.

2. Heavy. Not a big deal at all. But for such a small package; the thing is THIIC.

3. Noisier than the BL but less so than the JP. I am assuming boosting all those highs via GEQ is probably the culprit?

4. Much better at increasing gain between cloned channels than the BL feels like? Not sure why. Much easier to go from crunch ch 1 to crunch ch 2 and feel like a progression and ease of volume balancing vs. using crunch on both BL channels. I could certainly gig this and not use outboard dirt pedals. Which is good on a streamlining things end.

I have some more LOUD time this weekend to feel things out a bit better. I like it through my dual 112s with IRs much better than the 412 with G12s at non-painful volumes. That MK IV mode is something else :satan B R U T A L

How easy/difficult is it to dial in your preferred modes across three channels using the shared EQ? Are you making sacrifices to one or the other, or are they all playing nice? Are you using the EQ on the clean channel or just the channel controls?

How easy/difficult is it to dial in your preferred modes across three channels using the shared EQ? Are you making sacrifices to one or the other, or are they all playing nice? Are you using the EQ on the clean channel or just the channel controls?
IIb and VII modes seem to be the most "I need specific GEQ" modes more than others. The shared EQ works great across the other modes, imo. I need more loud time with it to confirm but those findings are what I am leaning towards as of now.

Thanks!

Excellent! Sounds like a good time already, and more brutally fun times coming up!!

IIb and VII modes seem to be the most "I need specific GEQ" modes more than others. The shared EQ works great across the other modes, imo. I need more loud time with it to confirm but those findings are what I am leaning towards as of now.

Cool update. :beer

Have you tried ditching the GEQ on certain modes and using it on others? I have found that can work
sometimes with the Mark amps to get some modes in the sweet spot.

Cool update. :beer

Have you tried ditching the GEQ on certain modes and using it on others? I have found that can work
sometimes with the Mark amps to get some modes in the sweet spot.
Um; can't remember? Did a LOT of testing in a short period yesterday. I will futz around with that when I can. It's a good idea but you always assume the MK needs that GEQ. NO PROMISES ON AN UPDATE TO THE UPDATE TIMELINE

Yeah, that was an habit/assumption I tried to break and found some cool results. I found
I don't always need that post-EQ bump in the Bass and scoop in the Mids on some modes. :idk

Just to jump in on this, @JiveTurkey congrats on the amp!!! I have a few thoughts just skimming through the responses here:

• I agree Crunch on this amp is very similar to Crunch on the Badlander, higher gain though and with more EQ options available with the GEQ.
  • I don’t notice noise much on any amp mainly because I use noise gates. Amps for me are part of a system, not a stand-alone device. But I’d expect rectos and the Badlander to be less noisy since they use less gain than the Mark amps. It’s a different gain structure for sure. If you still have problems with noise, try a Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1 of the amp. That’s a go-to tube replacement for me in many amps for slightly more mid punch and a lower noise floor.
  • I’m not sure what EQ settings you’re using but I’m finding all the high gain modes (Crunch, VII, IIB, IIC, and IV) to be equitable with the same GEQ settings. No real jumps in performance from mode to mode
  • I never found the JP hard to dial in. Petrucci did a video with his settings, Ola has a video with his, and I always found mine to be somewhere in between both of those guys. Lots of guys say Marks are hard to dial in, I think it’s just a matter of understanding the knob controls on higher gain modes are more like tone and level controls on overdrive pedals and the Bass/Mid/Treble you would expect on an amp really is in the GEQ of a Mark amp.
  • I’m actually very happy with VII mode and find it fits my uses well. I’d recommend trying VII mode with an overdrive in front, EQ on, with treble at 10 o’clock, mid at 1 o’clock, bass at 11 o’clock, gain and presence both at 10 o’clock. IMO it’s very close to a recto amp, but more of a simulation of a recto than the real deal and def requires some tweaking.
  • This is the highest gain Mark amp I’ve ever played. IIC and IV def do not need an overdrive and unless you crank down the gain and/or treble they sound overgained with one.
Enjoy your amp and I expect clips!!

Just to jump in on this, @JiveTurkey congrats on the amp!!! I have a few thoughts just skimming through the responses here:

• I agree Crunch on this amp is very similar to Crunch on the Badlander, higher gain though and with more EQ options available with the GEQ.
  • I don’t notice noise much on any amp mainly because I use noise gates. Amps for me are part of a system, not a stand-alone device. But I’d expect rectos and the Badlander to be less noisy since they use less gain than the Mark amps. It’s a different gain structure for sure. If you still have problems with noise, try a Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1 of the amp. That’s a go-to tube replacement for me in many amps for slightly more mid punch and a lower noise floor.
  • I’m not sure what EQ settings you’re using but I’m finding all the high gain modes (Crunch, VII, IIB, IIC, and IV) to be equitable with the same GEQ settings. No real jumps in performance from mode to mode
  • I never found the JP hard to dial in. Petrucci did a video with his settings, Ola has a video with his, and I always found mine to be somewhere in between both of those guys. Lots of guys say Marks are hard to dial in, I think it’s just a matter of understanding the knob controls on higher gain modes are more like tone and level controls on overdrive pedals and the Bass/Mid/Treble you would expect on an amp really is in the GEQ of a Mark amp.
  • I’m actually very happy with VII mode and find it fits my uses well. I’d recommend trying VII mode with an overdrive in front, EQ on, with treble at 10 o’clock, mid at 1 o’clock, bass at 11 o’clock, gain and presence both at 10 o’clock. IMO it’s very close to a recto amp, but more of a simulation of a recto than the real deal and def requires some tweaking.
  • This is the highest gain Mark amp I’ve ever played. IIC and IV def do not need an overdrive and unless you crank down the gain and/or treble they sound overgained with one.
I will. Probably won't do any recording with it. I don't have a separate load box and one thing I have come to see on this gen of Mesa's is that while it's great to have the cabclone; I don't like using it that way. The signal is either too quiet or too hot, my interface doesn't seem to like it, lots of wet blanket observations
:bag :rofl
I can take a tap out of the fx send with IRs and effects if needed but then you are skipping the power amp. Not a biggie but just part of what I have come to be with this era of tech.

I get great Mark results out of the FAS stuff. This will be for live stuff if I take it out and tremolo picking at too loud levels when the house is empty :satan

@JiveTurkey you should try to get the onboard Cabclone IR to work for you. It's really really good. I keep the input and output basically at noon on the CabClone and just send one XLR to my interface and it works great. I'm not fond of the Mesa IRs they pre-loaded, but it's pretty easy to swap in my own via USB.

I’ve got to stay out of this thread.

giphy.gif

Back