The Collection/Couch Shot Thread

The Jazz is fine, but I don't spend much time on the neck pickup to have ever analyzed it that much.

For ME, the JB ends up being a little too much in the mids, for this guitar but I'm going for more of a vintage/lower output/clarity LP vibe, (think Duncan 59/PAF style), these days. I like the JB's more in an alder/ash and bolt on maple neck shredder, like a Charvel So-Cal/San Dimas, than I do on these mahogany neck/body PRSi. That combination of mahogany body/neck wood mixed with the CU24 scale length tends to get into a congested and undefined mids area for me.

For a higher output/shreddy vibe, I actually like the HFS that came stock with them more than the JB.
Kind of what I feared with the JB in a CU24.
I’m only laughing because I just removed a JB/59 and replaced them with an 81/85. :ROFLMAO:

It was mostly because I bought the guitar knowing I was going to do that, but I wasn’t a fan of the JB in a guitar I was primarily going to play chugga chugga metal on. Just wasn’t tight enough with the low end and got a bit tubby for the way I dial in amps.
This has PRS 85/15 which have been the Custom 22/24 stock pu's for about 7 years I guess. Very strange beasts, super thin above 7 volume. I kinda wish it had EMG 85/81!

Helluva collection, wow!!

How's the JB/Jazz in the CU24? I can't stand the 85/15's in my CU24 unless I turn the volume down to like 5-6. Which I guess isn't the end of the world, it's just weird that I have to.

I like the 85/15 bridge in my CE24 but the neck is too hot and fat. PRS said it should be 7.5k but mine is closer to 8k.

I put Thornbuckers in mine and it’s much better balanced. Cleaner and more open sounding in the neck, sweeter and less aggressive in the bridge.

Suhr SSV neck and SSH bridge would be fun too. I have a pair of SSV in my S2 Standard 24 that sounds great.

I know I don't like the JB in mine, but I don't know what I would put in there. Those guitars are never going to sound like a 24.75" scale, thick LP, so, maybe I'll just put the HFS's back in there and roll with their OG vibe. My CE DOES have the HFS/Vintage Bass in it, and I don't mind it at all.

I don't play ANY of them right now, lol.

I know I don't like the JB in mine, but I don't know what I would put in there. Those guitars are never going to sound like a 24.75" scale, thick LP, so, maybe I'll just put the HFS's back in there and roll with their OG vibe. My CE DOES have the HFS/Vintage Bass in it, and I don't mind it at all.

I don't play ANY of them right now, lol.
Never played the HFS but I'd bet I'd like it better than these 85/15. I was thinking of trying the new Mojotone Bill Kelliher Hellbenders (that's a mouthful) but the demo Mojotone just put out makes them sound pretty thin. I have nothing with Dimarzio's, but they have at least 78 different pu's so I'm still paralyzed if I try to go that route.

Never played the HFS but I'd bet I'd like it better than these 85/15. I was thinking of trying the new Mojotone Bill Kelliher Hellbenders (that's a mouthful) but the demo Mojotone just put out makes them sound pretty thin. I have nothing with Dimarzio's, but they have at least 78 different pu's so I'm still paralyzed if I try to go that route.

Yeah, pickups are as bad a rabbit hole as anything else. I either just buy guitars with pickups that I already like, or stick to Duncans because I've been using them since the 80's and I'm familiar with them. I can't get into which company has a "better" PAF style pickup, etc.

Having said that, I don't know what you mean by "thin", but the CU24's are not a really thick sounding guitar to begin with, I'd put them more in the fusion-y or shredder camp of guitar.

Yeah, pickups are as bad a rabbit hole as anything else. I either just buy guitars with pickups that I already like, or stick to Duncans because I've been using them since the 80's and I'm familiar with them. I can't get into which company has a "better" PAF style pickup, etc.

Having said that, I don't know what you mean by "thin", but the CU24's are not a really thick sounding guitar to begin with, I'd put them more in the fusion-y or shredder camp of guitar.
Oh, absolutely a rabbit hole.

I liked the 85/15's until I started buying more guitars. The thing that really hits me is my PRS DW CE24, which has Mojotone pu's. Yes, it's a bolt-on, but otherwise mahogany w/maple cap - but the pu's aren't thin and nasally and I have full use of the volume knob.

Maybe it's PRS's treble bleed that I don't like but I've heard tons of people that feel the same way as I do about the 85/15's. It's all relative and personal, as always with "tone". I just want to get more use out of this guitar so I'm going to probably find a Dimarzio to try.

Yeah, sure, ok - but but but WHY?! Are there other pu's that only sound good with volume half way? What is the point of such oddities? Is there any point in buying aluminum foil that's not labeled as "heavy"? I d o n t t h i n k s o l o l :bag

I made that exact mistake a week ago. :LOL:

That stuff is USELESS!!!!

Oh, absolutely a rabbit hole.

I liked the 85/15's until I started buying more guitars. The thing that really hits me is my PRS DW CE24, which has Mojotone pu's. Yes, it's a bolt-on, but otherwise mahogany w/maple cap - but the pu's aren't thin and nasally and I have full use of the volume knob.

Maybe it's PRS's treble bleed that I don't like but I've heard tons of people that feel the same way as I do about the 85/15's. It's all relative and personal, as always with "tone". I just want to get more use out of this guitar so I'm going to probably find a Dimarzio to try.

My least favourite thing about EVERY guitar I have owned that says "PRS" on the headstock are the pickups. :idk

16771272149326460717013765203991.jpg
I'm not getting off my couch😁

Okay, um, holy crap.

Sooooo many questions, but let's start with those 2 Satches with the sharkfin inlay necks . . . ?

I think those are the Ibanez 540R’s (Radius), basically the Satch model before it was the Satch model. I want to say they altered the body slightly to make it a JS, but could be wrong.

I think those are the Ibanez 540R’s (Radius), basically the Satch model before it was the Satch model. I want to say they altered the body slightly to make it a JS, but could be wrong.
Those have been on my "collector" list forever.

Okay, um, holy crap.

Sooooo many questions, but let's start with those 2 Satches with the sharkfin inlay necks . . . ?
The purple one is a 1991540R with an 1991 S540 LTD neck, and the red one is a 2006 JS100 body with a neck from an RG770 thats been modified to properly fit.. love me some shark tooth inlays on a Wizard🤘🤘

The purple one is a 1991540R with an 1991 S540 LTD neck, and the red one is a 2006 JS100 body with a neck from an RG770 thats been modified to properly fit.. love me some shark tooth inlays on a Wizard🤘🤘
Ahhhh, sharkTOOTH. Thank you. Also:

:rubshands

:LOL:

Back