TGF Do Something Challenge Week 2!!

Would have posted sooner but had to feed me childrens... some kind of law on that or something.... Anyway I decided to go outside my norm and went for one of the rock beats... I had fun with this.

Unfortunately I can‘t watch the video. Here in Germany it seems to be blocked because of copyright issues with „UniversumFilm“. :-(

As promised, there will be trumpet!!! Here’s some laid back jazzy country blues of sorts called “Frame Of Mind”. All performed by yours truly.

Gear used in production;

Roland Aerophone Pro AE-30,
CF Martin GPC14F,
Takemine EAN40C,
Taylor T5z,
Warmoth Thinline Tele,
Fractal FM9,
Arturia Augmented Strings,
Arturia Solina V2,
Arturia Mellotron V,
Swart R2 Ribbon,

As promised, there will be trumpet!!! Here’s some laid back jazzy country blues of sorts called “Frame Of Mind”. All performed by yours truly.

Gear used in production;

CF Martin GPC14F,
Takemine EAN40C,
Taylor T5z,
Warmoth Thinline Tele,
Fractal FM9,
Arturia Solina V2,
Arturia Mellotron V,
Swart R2 Ribbon,

Need an album worth of this, stat!

I got a TON of work done last night and I've been going strong today.

Of course when I go to record this really, really quiet acoustic part, the lawn guys are out with a giant mower and my neighbor is blaring Sarah Mclachlan loud enough to rumble sh*t on my walls. :rofl I wrote out the entire song yesterday, now I'm just recording final tracks and going apesh*t with VST's. Definitely caught this one at the right time where I've been inspired AND have time. I wanted to write something with the Orville now that it has the Aldrich in it, mission has been a success so far. Once I turned that Goldie Hawn melody into a riff I was grinning ear to ear, this guitar f*ckin' rips!

Would have posted sooner but had to feed me childrens... some kind of law on that or something.... Anyway I decided to go outside my norm and went for one of the rock beats... I had fun with this.

I know there is a genre called Rockabilly. Is there a genre called Metalabilly? If not, you just invented it! :headbang

Love how aggressive and in-your-face your guitar tones are. :beer

Holy shit my throat is THRASHED. I need to do something softer/more mellow next week. The lyrical content of my submission this week may be interpreted as being lead astray by someone with power in say a religious role or a political one, or it's perhaps related to a polarizing piece of gear and corporate shenanigans of a certain company I'll leave unnamed. :bag

"Ye Mighty and Despair (6th Heaven)"

Same Mac Mini/Reaper/Focusrite setup as before, just not playing actual drums because of family in the house. Vocals and mixing I did today (5th render!) 17 tracks total - Two of them being parent tracks.

I had started this song in another project on Saturday where I had some parts with tempo/time sig changes but after moving some of the elements around, the recorded guitar and some of the midi files got all fucked up so I had to copypasta into a new project and attempt to salvage my work. It started off at 85 BPM but it got skewed to 85.795, along with all of the media items (a play rate of 1.072) so editing had to be done mostly by ear and not to the click -- which I'm kind of used to from recording actual humans playing drums but was a PITA regardless.

• I programmed the drums with my Akai MPKmini using AD2 as a VSTi.
  • Verse/Chorus guitar is my PRS S2 Standard 24 Satin in drop D running into my HX Stomp.
  • Intro/Bridge guitar is my Ibanez SIR27FD in drop A into my HX Stomp.
  • Lead guitar is my Ibanez Prestige AZ2402 in HX Stomp (broke my A string on the first pass)
  • Bass is my cheap Ibanez Talman with Helix Native.
  • Used my MPKmini to tap in a melody for the vocal -- first time doing this and it helped a lot with writing words.
  • Vocals sung into a Behringer B-2 Pro condenser mic
Vocal Processing:
  • 1 Vocal Master Track (FF Pro-Q 3 with some mid shifting to work around the guitars and a high shelf dropping a few DB)
  • 1 Tape Saturation Bus Track (HX Native's Retro Reel)
  • 1 Reverb Bus Track (Waves H-Reverb)
  • 1 Delay Bus Track (HX Native's Stereo Crisscross Delay)
  • 1 Shouting Verse Track (SSL Comp, FF Pro-Q 3)
  • 1 Singing Verse Track (SSL Comp, FF Pro-Q 3)
  • 1 High Pitch Track (SSL Comp, FF Pro-Q 3)
  • 1 Shouting Chorus Track (SSL Comp, FF Pro-Q 3)
  • 1 Singing Chorus Track (SSL Comp, FF Pro-Q 3)
  • 1 Bridge Vocal Track (SSL Comp, FF Pro-Q 3)
  • SSL Comp used to even out dynamics and Pro-Q 3 for low cut.
Guitar Processing:

• 1 Guitar Master Track (FF Pro-Q 3 providing Low Cut and mid shift to work around the vocals)
  • 1 Guitar Left (Live tracked, Panned 50% L)*
  • 1 Guitar Right (Live tracked, Panned 50% R)*
  • 1 Guitar Lead (Center, Live tracked, HX Native providing Cosmos Echo and Dynamic Plate)
*Before I started recording this idea I was playing around with the L6 2204 Mod model into my Creambackatana. I chucked a Low/High Shelf in before it to remove some low end and drive the front a little bit and it was off to the races. I added the Horizon Drive to the same preset for the 7 string parts but switched to my usual Comp/808/Placater Dirty for the lead.

Bass Processing:

• 1 Bass Track (HX Native, FF Pro-Q 3) - I noticed a lot of you guys doing heavier songs are using guitar amps with bass cabs so I decided to blend the 2204 Mod with my usual SVT sound and I quite liked the results.
Drum Processing:
  • Drums are all AD2 samples - Started with the Black Velvet - Post Grunge preset, changed the kick and hi hat. Added saturation and compression to the snare, which is pitched down a bit. Also elongated the sustain on the snare itself.

Last edited:

Gear used in production;

CF Martin GPC14F,
Takemine EAN40C,
Taylor T5z,
Warmoth Thinline Tele,
Fractal FM9,
Arturia Solina V2,
Arturia Mellotron V,
Swart R2 Ribbon,

Car chase from Faka, scenic drive from TJ!

Holy s**t my throat is THRASHED. I need to do something softer/more mellow next week. The lyrical content of my submission this week may be interpreted as being lead astray by someone with power in say a religious role or a political one, or it's perhaps related to a polarizing piece of gear and corporate shenanigans of a certain company I'll leave unnamed. :bag

Same Mac Mini/Reaper/Focusrite setup as before, just not playing actual drums because of family in the house. Vocals and mixing I did today (5th render!) 17 tracks total - Two of them being parent tracks.

I had started this song in another project on Saturday where I had some parts with tempo/time sig changes but after moving some of the elements around, the recorded guitar and some of the midi files got all f****d up so I had to copypasta into a new project and attempt to salvage my work. It started off at 85 BPM but it got skewed to 85.795, along with all of the media items (a play rate of 1.072) so editing had to be done mostly by ear and not to the click -- which I'm kind of used to from recording actual humans playing drums but was a PITA regardless.

• Verse/Chorus guitar is my PRS S2 Standard 24 Satin in drop D running into my HX Stomp.
  • Lead guitar is my Ibanez Prestige AZ2402 in HX Stomp (broke my A string on the first pass)
  • Used my MPKmini to tap in a melody for the vocal -- first time doing this and it helped a lot with writing words.
Vocal Processing:
  • 1 Vocal Master Track (FF Pro-Q 3 with some mid shifting to work around the guitars and a high shelf dropping a few DB)
Guitar Processing:

• 1 Guitar Master Track (FF Pro-Q 3 providing Low Cut and mid shift to work around the vocals)
  • 1 Guitar Lead (Center, Live tracked, HX Native providing Cosmos Echo and Dynamic Plate)
*Before I started recording this idea I was playing around with the L6 2204 Mod model into my Creambackatana. I chucked a Low/High Shelf in before it to remove some low end and drive the front a little bit and it was off to the races. I added the Horizon Drive to the same preset for the 7 string parts but switched to my usual Comp/808/Placater Dirty for the lead.

Bass Processing:

• 1 Bass Track (HX Native, FF Pro-Q 3) - I noticed a lot of you guys doing heavier songs are using guitar amps with bass cabs so I decided to blend the 2204 Mod with my usual SVT sound and I quite liked the results.
Drum Processing:
  • Drums are all AD2 samples - Started with the Black Velvet - Post Grunge preset, changed the kick and hi hat. Added saturation and compression to the snare, which is pitched down a bit. Also elongated the sustain on the snare itself.

Man, those riffs are phat and unexpected. Good stuff! Love the tones too.

I haven‘t mic‘d an acoustic guitar for years, but had to do it for this week‘s song. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised how it turned out! Maybe I should use it more often.

Holy s**t my throat is THRASHED. I need to do something softer/more mellow next week. The lyrical content of my submission this week may be interpreted as being lead astray by someone with power in say a religious role or a political one, or it's perhaps related to a polarizing piece of gear and corporate shenanigans of a certain company I'll leave unnamed. :bag

I had started this song in another project on Saturday where I had some parts with tempo/time sig changes but after moving some of the elements around, the recorded guitar and some of the midi files got all f****d up so I had to copypasta into a new project and attempt to salvage my work. It started off at 85 BPM but it got skewed to 85.795, along with all of the media items (a play rate of 1.072) so editing had to be done mostly by ear and not to the click -- which I'm kind of used to from recording actual humans playing drums but was a PITA regardless.

Vocal Processing:
Guitar Processing:

Bass Processing:

Drum Processing:

Hahaha I think I know where you got that lyrical inspiration! Vocals reminded me of Greg Puciato from Dillinger. Your stuff goes in unexpected directions, man, that's definitely a breath of fresh air. Tight work!

Gear used in production;

CF Martin GPC14F,
Takemine EAN40C,
Taylor T5z,
Warmoth Thinline Tele,
Fractal FM9,
Arturia Solina V2,
Arturia Mellotron V,
Swart R2 Ribbon,

Man, that's just too cool. You just have so much fun. Love that Roland Digieridoo. :chef

What the heck is that??

Roland Aerophone Pro AE-30 wind synth. Basically an electronic didgeridoo.

My saxophonist bro in law has a Yamaha one. I was flabbergasted when I descovered it in our closet during his time in China 9 years ago. That was the first time I'd ever seen one.

Wind when controllers were a thing even back in my day… Always thought about getting one to drive wind instruments.

Playing an oboe on a piano is… meh.

Back