TGF Do Something Weekly Challenge Week 3

In this week's episode of "Bands I read about in SPIN but never actually listened to..."

From all that I ever read about them and the songs you've submitted so far; the comparison makes a lot of sense.

In this week's episode of "Bands I read about in SPIN but never actually listened to..."

From all that I ever read about them and the songs you've submitted so far; the comparison makes a lot of sense.
Funny cause my most influential bands growing up were Weird Al, Bush, Creed/Alter Bridge, Five Iron Frenzy, Collective Soul, Fuel, Matchbox Twenty, Switchfoot, Jimmy Eat World, Five Iron Frenzy, Lifehouse, Goo Goo Dolls etc.

Funny cause my most influential bands growing up were Weird Al, Bush, Creed/Alter Bridge, Five Iron Frenzy, Collective Soul, Fuel, Matchbox Twenty, Switchfoot, Jimmy Eat World, Five Iron Frenzy, Lifehouse, Goo Goo Dolls etc.
I'm drawing line from my perhaps ill-informed old man Tom Petty observation? Fwiw; it's a good thing \m/

I'm drawing line from my perhaps ill-informed old man Tom Petty observation? Fwiw; it's a good thing \m/
I got into Petty in my late 20's and love him now, I didn't want that Running Down a Dream documentary to end! I was born in 84 and started violin after 5th grade. Got into guitar and more guitar based music around senior year in high school. A couple of friends loaned me cd's of a bunch of 90's rock after I had somehow collected all the Bush and Weird Al cd's on my own volition...

This is barely one minute of an unfinished cover of Illuminati, by The Flower Kings. I have applied the minimum " Do something" concept. Better than "Do nothing". But it took me a lot of effort and time to arrive here. First to get a decent tone, and then to learn to play it. 😅

I missed week #2, and I think that now I will need much more than two weeks to learn the solo that comes after this one 😅

Critics are welcome. I'm here to learn. My mission is to lower the bar amid your amazing submissions, so eveyone may feel encouraged to participate :rofl

Last edited:
This is barely one minute of an unfinished cover of Illuminati, by The Flower Kings. I have applied the minimum " Do something" concept. Better than "Do nothing". But it took me a lot of effort and time to arrive here. First to get a decent tone, and then to learn to play it. 😅

I missed week #2, and I think that now I will need much more than two weeks to learn the solo that comes after this one 😅

Critics are welcome. I'm here to learn. My mission is to lower the bar amid your amazing submissions, so eveyone may feel encouraged to participate :rofl

Dig that - especially the volume swells. When I grow up and learn to play an actual solo, I'll definitely have volume swells on my list of tools to employ.

Dig that - especially the volume swells. When I grow up and learn to play an actual solo, I'll definitely have volume swells on my list of tools to employ.
The reachable position of the volume is one of the reasons I prefer Strats and Super Strats over Gibson, PRS or other types of guitars. But it is also one of the first reasons the Strat haters mention when they enumerate the reasons they hate Strats. It seems like they accidentaly hit the knob when they play, but I've never experienced that because I strum over the strings, not over he knob :rofl

The reachable position of the volume is one of the reasons I prefer Strats and Super Strats over Gibson, PRS or other types of guitars. But it is also one of the first reasons the Strat haters mention when they enumerate the reasons they hate Strats. It seems like they accidentaly hit the knob when they play, but I've never experienced that because I strum over the strings, not over he knob :rofl
I've been a Strat player all my life and it was never a problem for me until after I got used to a PRS and switched back!

I think the first time I started doing volume swells with the knob was after I heard Blackmore at Made in Europe version of Minstreated, or maybe some Steve Hacket at the Lamb Lies down on Broadway album. I do not remember it clearly. Then I learnt Van Halen's Cathedral, whch was the first one I heard with the delay repetitions trick that made it look like played at double-speed. And after that Malmsteen also did the same

Last edited:

I like how you move the pick to different fingers, and mute the adjacent strings to the one ringing out. I try to notice those types of things to see how various players deal with unwanted noise.

Great touch and feel, @Piing . That's the kind of musicianship and musicality I aspire to these days. :beer

I hit the volume knob on Strats/Strat style guitars with my pinky mostly when strumming fast. It's especially troublesome if the volume pot is worn and turns easily. But, I often play a teeny tiny bit faster than you did in your clip, so YMMV. :rofl :rawk:rofl

Last edited:

It’s my pinky that rolls the volume knob down as I play, not the pick or anything. Since my earlier years were with a Strat, it became unconscious thing to continuously check my volume knob as I was playing which is something I didn’t stop doing until recently with the Les Pauls because the volume knob is so far away, but every other guitar I’m constantly grabbing the volume knob and ensuring it’s turned up, even though on some guitars I never once roll it down.

It’s my pinky that rolls the volume knob down as I play, not the pick or anything. Since my earlier years were with a Strat, it became unconscious thing to continuously check my volume knob as I was playing which is something I didn’t stop doing until recently with the Les Pauls because the volume knob is so far away, but every other guitar I’m constantly grabbing the volume knob and ensuring it’s turned up, even though on some guitars I never once roll it down.
I am struggling in anguish with my new PRS. The vol pot is not only far away from my reach, THERE ARE TWO!!! Are they crazy??? 😱
Mob Wives Drita Davanzo GIF by VH1
Dj Khaled Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

Goodbye to swells
scared eric cartman GIF by South Park

I need two extra-long pinky fingers with independent rotation motion to grab them both :rofl

Last edited:
I am struggling in anguish with my new PRS. The vol pot is not only far away from my reach, THERE ARE TWO!!! Are they crazy??? 😱

Goodbye to swells

I need two extra-long pinky fingers with independent rotation motion to grab them both :rofl

The controls were my biggest gripe with my PRS; that selector switch is in the absolute worst spot in the world. Needing to pick my hand up and over the whammy bar to get to it pretty much had me stuck on the neck pickup/split coil the entire time and the best I could get around was putting a push/push on the tone knob so I can just smack it and go from full humbucker to split because it was the most effective way of changing things up without getting my fingers caught on sh*t.

Goodbye to swells

Give it a shot with a volume pedal.

The controls were my biggest gripe with my PRS; that selector switch is in the absolute worst spot in the world. Needing to pick my hand up and over the whammy bar to get to it pretty much had me stuck on the neck pickup/split coil the entire time and the best I could get around was putting a push/push on the tone knob so I can just smack it and go from full humbucker to split because it was the most effective way of changing things up without getting my fingers caught on sh*t.

Not ever idea Paul had was a good one. :LOL:

I have a mid 1990s PRS and it has that stupid 5 way Rotary switch for PU selection. Dumb! Dumb! Dumb! :facepalm

Back