Tell me about the Strandberg endurneck

Will Onyx

Groupie
I’m really interested in Strandberg guitars, but am not sure about the endurneck. I did play a Strandberg 7 string at the store once and thought the neck was way too thick for my liking, but I think that of most 7 string guitars I’ve played. I’m interested in a Salen NX6 six string. So aside from the geometry (I think I can manage that) of the neck, how thick does a 6 string endurneck feel? I don’t gel with anything bigger than a Fender modern c shape or Charvel speed neck. Anything thicker like a Gibson rounded 50s neck is a hard pass. Would love to try one out in person but they’re hard to find. Share your thoughts and help me out!!!

I’m really interested in Strandberg guitars, but am not sure about the endurneck. I did play a Strandberg 7 string at the store once and thought the neck was way too thick for my liking, but I think that of most 7 string guitars I’ve played. I’m interested in a Salen NX6 six string. So aside from the geometry (I think I can manage that) of the neck, how thick does a 6 string endurneck feel? I don’t gel with anything bigger than a Fender modern c shape or Charvel speed neck. Anything thicker like a Gibson rounded 50s neck is a hard pass. Would love to try one out in person but they’re hard to find. Share your thoughts and help me out!!!
It’s a deep neck but it is reasonably comfortable. I have a 6 but have played many of their 7s. If you play with a classical hand position it’s helpful but if you don’t it’s not really going to help.

To me it’s not even noticeable past the first position. The way it transitions up the neck makes it feel thinner while actually playing.

The Strandberg Endurneck is needlessly angular. I never felt any benefit from the Endurneck on the Strandberg I had. I have a similar profile on my Skervesen, except it's much more smoothed so it feels much more natural and never obvious.

I have never tried Strandberg's 6-strings, but on the 8-string I had, the neck actually seemed to get thicker near the low frets. It was uncomfortable to play for cowboy chords. I don't quite remember if the Japanese made 7-strings I've tried were like this, it's been several years since I tried them.

The Boden OS 8 LE I briefly owned was the worst made guitar I've ever owned. The Japanese made ones were well made but I just won't buy the brand again because the one I bought online was so bad it should have never left the factory. I swear they just put it back up for sale after I returned it, because it was the only one in the same color/limited edition.

I think the take away is that if you have good hand position it actually makes less difference because a thick clubby neck would only move your thumb 4mm back in the exact same orientation . It matters most to the thumb over guys .

I tried two six strings for about twenty minutes, and I was only thankful I could get past the neck. I don't want playing advice from Ola Strandberg. Steve Vai, sure! Anyone who's actually a virtuoso, but not that guy. I'm a good player, but I have many left hand positions that don't conform to a particular school of thought or style. I like many of Strandberg's innovations, but the neck is the big reason for me not to own one. Even though I could get past it when trying those two guitars, I don't want to be fighting something fundamental about the guitar's design. My two cents.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It looks like I’m going to have to try to get my hands on one to see for myself. My hand position changes a bit between sitting down and standing. I don’t sling my guitar real low, but am definitely more thumb over when standing and more classical when sitting. Also gotta be comfortable playing the cowboy chords. Strandbergs are too damn expensive to take a chance on. Wish it came with an Ibanez neck instead!

I have an 8-string and I don't even notice it after the first few hours maybe? It feels really chunky at the lower frets, but I actually like that. I also like putting my thumb on the angled part when bending.

The older I get the more I realise that IDGAF about neck shape. I also give less fucks about guitars in general, but that's another discussion :rofl

I don’t sling my guitar real low, but am definitely more thumb over
You should definitely try it before plonking down that cash. I’ve been playing my strandberg for a few years. Thumb over is still not comfortable for me with this guitar, because of the way the slanted upper edge of the neck digs into the thumb joint.

I found this post on Reddit that compares the neck thicknesses between the endurneck and other popular shapes.
IMG_0001.jpeg

That’s definitely a bit chunkier than I’m used to, especially in the lower positions. A Charvel speed neck is a little bigger than the Schecter listed above and my Ibanez 7 string is a flat .75 all the way up the neck. Guess I’ll have to pass on Strandbergs.

I found this post on Reddit that compares the neck thicknesses between the endurneck and other popular shapes.View attachment 30838

That’s definitely a bit chunkier than I’m used to, especially in the lower positions. A Charvel speed neck is a little bigger than the Schecter listed above and my Ibanez 7 string is a flat .75 all the way up the neck. Guess I’ll have to pass on Strandbergs.
Don’t take that information very seriously. The shape has at least as much effect on how thick a neck feels as the depth in the centre behind fret 1.

I found this post on Reddit that compares the neck thicknesses between the endurneck and other popular shapes.View attachment 30838

There's no fucking way an EndureNeck is .89" at the first.

Back