NGD - Strandberg Boden Standard NX6

Will Chen

Roadie
After a while with my Dullahan Headless I was itching to take a long term spin with a Strandberg so pulled the trigger on a B-Stock.

- First up...no idea why this is a B stock outside maybe the grain pattern of the laminate with some perpendicular grain lines. Some of the fret ends could maybe be a bit better dressed, no sprout or anything just a few frets with a slight roughness to them.

- Endurneck is genius. I can totally understand how some will absolutely hate it, especially those who play with a more non-traditional technique or like to play their guitar slung very low, but for me it's pretty amazing and I'm kinda surprised no one thought of it before. The trapezoidal shape both forces the thumb into more proper position yet at the same time allows a more firm anchor point for certain chord shapes/hand position and the offset just seems to work and flow naturally. It took me maybe 10 minutes to get used to and moving back and forth between a traditional neck and this isn't an issue at all.

- Pickups and switching are extremely versatile and all positions sound great. Of note, you give up a dual humbucker setting but it provides inner coils, outer coils, and neck split options. The inner coils offer a very, very good Strat #2 position emulation best I've had in a guitar without a middle pickup and the neck hum split sounds very much like a Strat neck single coil. That said...my Dullahan neck pickup is perhaps my favorite neck humbucker pickup I've had on a guitar, very clear attack with no muddiness and I do prefer it to the Strandberg, which is a bit shocking really. Not that the Strandberg neck pickup is bad, just not quite as articulate and clear as the Dullahan, warmer I guess is a good description which I'm sure some would prefer. Though it's worth noting these are the Strandberg OEM pickups not the Suhr's which come on higher end models.

- Lightest guitar I've owned. I can't think of a lighter guitar I've even played with the exception of maybe a Parker Fly back in the day.

- Awesome backpack style gigbag. The zipper has a rubber cover over it to help keep water out, there's extra internal material around the headstock and down around the controls to help prevent wear, and a nice sized outer pocket.

- Strandberg multi-tool along with it's magnetic sticker to mount it to the guitar is genius, all headless guitar companies should do something similar.

Meh Things:

- As mentioned, I have a Harley Benton Dullahan headless as well, and outside the neck pickup (which of course is subjective) one thing the Benton actually does slightly better is include thrust bearings in their tuners making tuner action incredibly smooth and easy. The Strandberg has some sort of plastic or maybe Teflon washer which has more friction. I was actually kinda shocked that they weren't employing the types of washers used in the Benton and will absolutely be upgrading them on the Strandberg at some point. My only true disappointment in the guitar. Given how cheap thrust bearings are, it seems like a no brainer "upgrade" Strandberg should be doing.

- Side marker location past the 12th fret is kinda weird. I've been playing so long that I rarely use visual markers, just thought it odd. I think it has to do with the fanned frets, but if one relies on side markers significantly it would definitely take some getting used to.

- Very thin matte finish. Some people love them and think it let's their guitar "breath" or something, but I would've preferred a slightly thicker (don't care it it's gloss necessarily) finish which I think would provide a bit more protection from small scuffs scratches. I've already gotten a small chunk out of my Dullahan's matte finish which I think would've been avoided with a more traditional finish.

- Strap buttons could be slightly repositioned for perfect balance. It doesn't dive, simply wants to sit more parallel and I prefer an upward tilt. Again something pretty subjective here, just trying to cover everything.

- Volume pot texture feels just a little rough. Nothing that I'd call sharp, just feels like maybe it wasn't from the "A" batch.

PXL_20230707_193035071.jpg

PXL_20230707_193040276.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Them Standard NX's are great, no need to pay more for the higher line.
- Strandberg multi-tool along with it's magnetic sticker to mount it to the guitar is genius, all headless guitar companies should do something similar.
The multi-tool actually really sucks. The plastic is super soft and its corners are rounded, so it either won't grab on to the screw heads or will wear out after a few uses... :/ They should really go back to giving you the little hex keys or rework their multi-tool to metal.

Nice! Them Standard NX's are great, no need to pay more for the higher line.

The multi-tool actually really sucks. The plastic is super soft and its corners are rounded, so it either won't grab on to the screw heads or will wear out after a few uses... :/ They should really go back to giving you the little hex keys or rework their multi-tool to metal.

Ah crap! I only used it 1 time but it seemed so perfect.

I like the Strandberg idea and have an original 6 that I like but I think Ola needs to react to issues with aspects of the design and components a bit differently. The old design locknuts are barely fit for purpose and the hardware is questionable at best. Also for an ergonomic guitar to have the neck sitting that high is just lazy. It’s only that high to be in line with the bridge hight on the body without any angle in the pocket. That would be better and is on the Japanese line. Mine for reference;
IMG_3051.jpeg

I know that they have changed them but how could you put out a smooth control knob and claim ergonomic design.

If they had a 24.75” guitar, I would try one for sure.
Still very curious to play one at a store.

Strandberg gets merit points for ingenuity and spiriting the modern ergonomic thing too.

Great review and happy Ngd!

Very nice guitar! Congratulations!

I wanted a headless too. Unfortunately, I'm poor and couldn't afford a Strandberg. I opted for the cheaper GOC. Headless guitars are just so convenient! I also like the convenience of the multi-scale.

Reactions: V|J
If they had a 24.75” guitar, I would try one for sure.
Still very curious to play one at a store.

Strandberg gets merit points for ingenuity and spiriting the modern ergonomic thing too.

Great review and happy Ngd!
Just an FYI, the treble side the scale is 25.

Very nice guitar! Congratulations!

I wanted a headless too. Unfortunately, I'm poor and couldn't afford a Strandberg. I opted for the cheaper GOC. Headless guitars are just so convenient! I also like the convenience of the multi-scale.
On a budget, I'd point anyone towards the Harley Benton Dullahan with pride. Those guitars have no business being as cheap as they are. Strongly considering getting another to mod out. Really hope they continue that line.

The bridge design sucks. Try adjusting action on the strings and you will notice it's a lot of work and imprecise.

Totally agree about the bolt-on neck joint too. I had the original neck profile Strandberg Boden 8 and the heel sticks so far up the neck that it actually gets in the way.

To me the Endurneck is a gimmick. The profile itself is fine, but there's no need for it to be so angular. I have a similar profile on my Skervesen that is much more smoothed out and it's just more pleasant to play because the neck is less obviously noticeable. I saw no playing position benefits from the Strandberg neck.

It would be fairly easy to redesign the problem areas particularly the hardware. Cut the neck pocket deeper with a degree or so of angle and produce hardware more like the ABM headless system. The heel has largely been fixed in the latest version. The neck shape is not as player friendly as an Ibanez wizard for thumb behind styles.

It would be fairly easy to redesign the problem areas particularly the hardware. Cut the neck pocket deeper with a degree or so of angle and produce hardware more like the ABM headless system. The heel has largely been fixed in the latest version. The neck shape is not as player friendly as an Ibanez wizard for thumb behind styles.

Everyone's different, wizard necks give me hand cramps.

Just an FYI, the treble side the scale is 25.
I hear you. The shorter scale on the treble side had me curious at one point.

But I have small hands and a small handicap in one of the fingers which makes even thin 25.5” necks difficult. The strandberg neck is not shredder thin from what I’ve read.

I was hoping the Jazz model would be shorter scale but alas!
Most people seem to want 25.5” scale these days it seems.

I’m still curious enough about the design to drive a bit to try one, if I have to.

Are you ever thumb over? I find that thumb over players have that problem but no one who is classical orthodox.
I had an original Wizard neck Ibanez RG550 for about 15 years. That is one of the thinnest Wizard models produced and it caused cramps for me too because of how thin it was, even with thumb in the middle of the neck. Much happier with the Carvin C66 I use now, beefier neck on that one.

Congrats!!

Even as someone who mostly gravitates towards "traditional" guitars these days, I love the look and design of the strandbergs

I like the Strandberg idea and have an original 6 that I like but I think Ola needs to react to issues with aspects of the design and components a bit differently. The old design locknuts are barely fit for purpose and the hardware is questionable at best. Also for an ergonomic guitar to have the neck sitting that high is just lazy. It’s only that high to be in line with the bridge hight on the body without any angle in the pocket. That would be better and is on the Japanese line. Mine for reference;
View attachment 9130
I know that they have changed them but how could you put out a smooth control knob and claim ergonomic design.
What's the reasoning for a neck sitting high being bad for ergonomics? Cus it makes the heel joint thicker, or is there more to it?

What's the reasoning for a neck sitting high being bad for ergonomics? Cus it makes the heel joint thicker, or is there more to it?
Having the strings high off the body is bad for people who rest their hand on the top and as you say the depth of the heel joint.

I hear you. The shorter scale on the treble side had me curious at one point.

But I have small hands and a small handicap in one of the fingers which makes even thin 25.5” necks difficult. The strandberg neck is not shredder thin from what I’ve read.

I was hoping the Jazz model would be shorter scale but alas!
Most people seem to want 25.5” scale these days it seems.

I’m still curious enough about the design to drive a bit to try one, if I have to.
Ah, sorry to hear that. In terms of thickness it feels closer to a modern Fender neck than a shredder neck, which is what I greatly prefer.
Are you ever thumb over? I find that thumb over players have that problem but no one who is classical orthodox.
A little early on when I was self learning, but after taking classical lessons for a few years back in college (like 20 years ago EDIT: actually closer to 30 years ago, damn I'm getting old) I've been a very traditional player. Way, way back, all my buddies had RG's and the original Ibanez Sabers were my dream guitars and I was so incredibly disappointed I couldn't get them to work for me. I've revisited the Wizard and other shredder necks many times over the years as so many technically advanced players used them and I presumed those necks should work for me as well but they just don't, I'd fatigue quickly and get cramps. I feel way, way more relaxed on thicker necks. I'm not deriding anyone for liking those necks, all the different choices are out there for a reason.

Last edited:
Totally agree about the bolt-on neck joint too. I had the original neck profile Strandberg Boden 8 and the heel sticks so far up the neck that it actually gets in the way.
Previous models' neck joint didn't make sense at all, but NX models are A LOT better. There's no issue accessing higher frets now.
To me the Endurneck is a gimmick. The profile itself is fine, but there's no need for it to be so angular. I have a similar profile on my Skervesen that is much more smoothed out and it's just more pleasant to play because the neck is less obviously noticeable. I saw no playing position benefits from the Strandberg neck.
Even as an owner, I thought it was mostly a gimmick too until I hurt my fretting wrist for a while and it was the only guitar I could play for longer than 10 minutes without pain. Who knows why, but I was surprised to find out it delivers what it promises. I guess the question is whether you need it or not, and unless you have pains you need to try to address, probably not.

Reactions: V|J
In doesn’t take a genius to hold their hand up in a neutral position and see how much thinner a wizard neck is than that position for 9 out of 10 people. And it doesn’t take a genius to extrapolate from that bit of information that some of those 9 are likely to experience cramping when using a neck that requires them to actively squeeze their hand together in order to allow the thumb to rest on the back of the neck. Explaining why plenty of shredders (see: Holdsworth) prefer necks with some meat on them.

Who knows why, but I was surprised to find out it delivers what it promises. I guess the question is whether you need it or not, and unless you have pains you need to try to address, probably not.

IMHO it reinforces proper technique in a very novel way. For example, if I'm playing a chord near the "head" where I need to stretch a little for the chord form, my thumb will rotate towards the treble side of the neck. With the Endurneck, that angle and flat surface provide a much more precise anchor point than a rounded neck. The same happens in reverse when moving up to the higher frets where the offset trapezoid provides a great anchor point on the bass side of the neck. For everything else the flat back enforces proper middle thumb placement as if you're not in the correct position, your feeling the edge (though that has it's own odd benefits as well). Now, as I mentioned...this really only works if you're someone who's already more comfortable wearing their guitar a bit higher than "rock star" levels for ergonomic purposes as I imagine the neck would feel like garbage if slinging a guitar down at one's waist and completely pointless for someone who does a lot of thumb over the neck style playing.

Back