NGD: Mayones Regius Core

Damnit Fedex, had to wait until almost 5pm to get it here, didn't you! Probably for the best, had to work :grin

I've wanted a Mayones for years, with a preference for a Regius - but it seemed like every time I had the coinage, there wasn't one I wanted or something else had caught my eye. This time I found one while having 3 guitars for sale, with one looking to sell tomorrow (hopefully). That gives me room for the mighty Mayones! :rawk

This is my 2nd eastern European guitar (other is the Czech Aviator 7-string) and I have to say, their craftsmanship is a few steps above anything else I've ever seen. This one is impeccable to the core. Frets are the best I've ever held, neck through to body is the same level of perfection. Total :chef from the bottom strap button to the top of the headstock. Beyond impressed, to say the least! Digging the black/pearloidish binding, too!

Obvious right away that this is one of those guitars that really changes with the light, and it's cloudy here today so it's on the dark side! Other thing is I'm a bit surprised that the BKP Nailbomb is a bit darker than expected in the bridge, BKP VHII sounds more like I expected in the neck. Not much play time yet, needs to acclimate and then I'll see what needs done with relief and action (both are excessive for me atm).

On to what you all want, the pictures!
View attachment 25563View attachment 25564View attachment 25565View attachment 25566View attachment 25567View attachment 25568View attachment 25569
Movie Reaction GIF

Hell yeah!!!

Kinda reminds me of a really well done Ibanez SZ!

These are one of the few ‘boutique’ brands I’ve really wanted to try but I’ve never seen one in the wild.
Thank you, Drew! Been looking at them for years and this is the 1st I've ever seen in person!

Tight playa!
Really nicely built Mayones. Big fan of their Duvell and Hydra.
Thank you very much kind sirs! Sure, now plant the seed of Duvells and Hydras in my GAS brain :unsure:

Thank you! Just as I mentioned in the "GAS" thread, "Lawd help me!".

That is freakin gorgeous, and stunning, and beautimous, and....

Really nice guitar!! Congrats!!

Off to look at some of these..., (since the Kaizen didn't pan out, and I haven't found the right Blue Silk Majesty yet...)
Thank you, Tom! Blown TF away! Did you find anything you liked? Obviously sticker shock is FOH REELZ and discounts are much harder on Mayones. I got one but it wasn't anything like I got on the Majesty!

Here's my thoughts so far:

Craftsmanship is 100% spot on, as previously mentioned. The only flaw is they should've screwed the volume pot in another 1 to 2mm. :grin I'll fix that one of these days.

Guitar sounds like "2 to 3 Tone knob numbers darker" than the Majesty (which is the brightest guitar I have for sure), no doubt the Regius is the darkest guitar I have, but clarity in spades and otherwise balanced. Going to try raising pole pieces on bridge pickup.

Setup came down to the most miniscule of a ping sound for relief (I don't measure, I get it as minimal as I can). Never had a truss rod that has no resistance so I was a bit concerned at first, but it definitely does what it's supposed to do. I know they have some 'magic' with their neck building. Dealer even said they can spend up to 4 months to build a neck, if needed. Crazy shit if true.

Action is 3/64" for wound and 2/64" for unwound. Surprised with the same 16" radius (as the Majesty) that I couldn't get it lower - but nothing to complain about. Frets are bigger than the Majesty and I'd imagine that's why - nut seems cut properly and there's never been a ping while tuning. I meticulously fret-rockered the whole board and they are all good to go.

Damnit Fedex, had to wait until almost 5pm to get it here, didn't you! Probably for the best, had to work :grin

I've wanted a Mayones for years, with a preference for a Regius - but it seemed like every time I had the coinage, there wasn't one I wanted or something else had caught my eye. This time I found one while having 3 guitars for sale, with one looking to sell tomorrow (hopefully). That gives me room for the mighty Mayones! :rawk

This is my 2nd eastern European guitar (other is the Czech Aviator 7-string) and I have to say, their craftsmanship is a few steps above anything else I've ever seen. This one is impeccable to the core. Frets are the best I've ever held, neck through to body is the same level of perfection. Total :chef from the bottom strap button to the top of the headstock. Beyond impressed, to say the least! Digging the black/pearloidish binding, too!

Obvious right away that this is one of those guitars that really changes with the light, and it's cloudy here today so it's on the dark side! Other thing is I'm a bit surprised that the BKP Nailbomb is a bit darker than expected in the bridge, BKP VHII sounds more like I expected in the neck. Not much play time yet, needs to acclimate and then I'll see what needs done with relief and action (both are excessive for me atm).

On to what you all want, the pictures!
View attachment 25563View attachment 25564View attachment 25565View attachment 25566View attachment 25567View attachment 25568View attachment 25569
Looks so tasty i want to lick it

Didn't love the BKP pickups (Ceramic Nailbomb Bridge and VHII Neck) for about 1.5 days. Did some tweaking to height and, "BAM!". Still need a hair bit of extra treble to make me reallllly happy, but that's no biggie!

Now this guitar (or these pickups) have made me dislike playing any of my other guitars! :pitchforks I'm sure at least some of you have ended up in such a predicament before.

This is not a good thing, I mean, it's cool as hell that this guitar sounds so awesome, of course. Tons of oomphiness(tm) and clarity like I've never heard in the land of high gain. Yes, you can have both. I always thought the BKP hype train was a bunch of bs, and maybe it's the guitar that makes these sound so great, maybe the guitar sucks and it's all the BKP's, maybe it's both - maybe it's Maybelline? :unsure:

Regardless, I'm hoping the honeymoon period wears off and I start to love my other guitars soon. The ears are possibly the most fickle of sense organs, at least for us guitarists. They get used to something and then scorn anything different, amirite?!

I do have 3 guitars with different flavors of Fishman, and they've been on the pickup chopping block even before this Mayones arrived. Thinking hard about BKP's for each of them. Do see some sets in the low 300's, but most are high $400's for a set. Yikes!

For my PRS 594, which has a solid rosewood neck and didn't impress with PRS plain original 58/15 - and was a little better with Fishman Wil Adlers - I'm thinking BKP Polymath set. Looks to be VERY versatile and gets damn near unanimous raving reviews.

For my Ibanez RG, I'm thinking a BKP Silo set. Still pretty versatile but leaning a bit heavier than Polymath.

Lastly, the Legator Ghost - I'm thinking BKP Warpigs (ceramic bridge). I want to replicate some of the meanness of the Fishman Moderns, and none of the cocked-wah weirdness of the Fishmans. I want to take no prisoners :satan, and it seems the Warpig is the heaviest pickup they offer. Plus my first name is War and most of you think I'm a Pig, kinda fits, no?

$1200 in Pickups here I come!!! :pickle:pickle:pickle:banana:banana:banana

Maybe put the BKs in another guitar to see if it is the pickups or the guitar
before you drop the $$. Just a thought. And yes, I know that shopping is
fun and anticipation fuels the Dopamine Train. I love riding that sucker, too! :beer

$1200 in Pickups here I come!!! :pickle:pickle:pickle:banana:banana:banana

Maybe put the BKs in another guitar to see if it is the pickups or the guitar
before you drop the $$. Just a thought. And yes, I know that shopping is
fun and anticipation fuels the Dopamine Train. I love riding that sucker, too! :beer
Heh! Yeah, they cost what they cost and if they're selling like mofo's you can't blame them for wanting to make as many GBP's as they can.

I have an email to them to be sure I'm not making any major mistakes with the ones I've chosen for each guitar. Hopefully they respond soon.

Regardless, removing all my Fishman's (which clearly do not live up to their initial hype!) is a good thing.

Yup. People should know better than trust an acoustic-centric pickup manufacturer to get it
even close to right with tones for heavy guitar. :wat

I do love me some shopping/researching pickups. :love It's a low cost and low investment option
for being a game-changer when it comes to guitars that otherwise play great.

Looking forward to your journey!! :beer

Tim Mills, the owner of Bare Knuckle sent me a very in depth email. He agreed 100% with my choices. Unreal and outstanding customer support. Especially after the joke of correspondence I had with a pickup company that starts with E.

Just ordered a pair of Silos for the RG. Crop circle covers, tehehe. I love the quirky covers lol.

Tim Mills, the owner of Bare Knuckle sent me a very in depth email. He agreed 100% with my choices. Unreal and outstanding customer support. Especially after the joke of correspondence I had with a pickup company that starts with E.

Just ordered a pair of Silos for the RG. Crop circle covers, tehehe. I love the quirky covers lol.
Yes Tim is great.

Didn't love the BKP pickups (Ceramic Nailbomb Bridge and VHII Neck) for about 1.5 days. Did some tweaking to height and, "BAM!". Still need a hair bit of extra treble to make me reallllly happy, but that's no biggie!

Now this guitar (or these pickups) have made me dislike playing any of my other guitars! :pitchforks I'm sure at least some of you have ended up in such a predicament before.

This is not a good thing, I mean, it's cool as hell that this guitar sounds so awesome, of course. Tons of oomphiness(tm) and clarity like I've never heard in the land of high gain. Yes, you can have both. I always thought the BKP hype train was a bunch of bs, and maybe it's the guitar that makes these sound so great, maybe the guitar sucks and it's all the BKP's, maybe it's both - maybe it's Maybelline? :unsure:

Regardless, I'm hoping the honeymoon period wears off and I start to love my other guitars soon. The ears are possibly the most fickle of sense organs, at least for us guitarists. They get used to something and then scorn anything different, amirite?!

I do have 3 guitars with different flavors of Fishman, and they've been on the pickup chopping block even before this Mayones arrived. Thinking hard about BKP's for each of them. Do see some sets in the low 300's, but most are high $400's for a set. Yikes!

For my PRS 594, which has a solid rosewood neck and didn't impress with PRS plain original 58/15 - and was a little better with Fishman Wil Adlers - I'm thinking BKP Polymath set. Looks to be VERY versatile and gets damn near unanimous raving reviews.

For my Ibanez RG, I'm thinking a BKP Silo set. Still pretty versatile but leaning a bit heavier than Polymath.

Lastly, the Legator Ghost - I'm thinking BKP Warpigs (ceramic bridge). I want to replicate some of the meanness of the Fishman Moderns, and none of the cocked-wah weirdness of the Fishmans. I want to take no prisoners :satan, and it seems the Warpig is the heaviest pickup they offer. Plus my first name is War and most of you think I'm a Pig, kinda fits, no?
Hmmm....

Let's see. We now have 1 guitar that eclipses all the rest.
Don't even care to play the others; The Mayones is that good.

Man! IDK WTF you're talking about!:rofl

Honestly, (and I think you said you are trying), I'd just get rid of them, and buy more Mayones'.
Not that I know anything about keeping guitars I never play. (Or even hang 'em on a wall to give my eyes some pleasure.) :sofa

Oh, and my PRS has a 'cocked wah' PU position (I have no idea which combination of PU's/coil taps/phase it is though, because it uses that stupid 5-way rotary switch in combination with the "sweet switch), and I've loved that sound. (Back when I used to actually play the damn thing!)

Back