NGD: Headless Content

I picked this up a little over a week ago but then I was promptly gone for a trip and didn’t have any real time with it till this past weekend. I was looking to take another go at a 7 string again ( a couple certain threads here may or may not had something to do with it). A local shop (guitarbrando.com) carries some of the more “exotic” brands and initially I went in to try out a Balaguer Diablo 7.

Both a Strandberg and an Ormsby caught my eye, I ultimately pulled the trigger on the Ormsby Goliath 7.

IMG_2607.jpeg

IMG_2606.jpeg

Mahogany body with flame maple veneer top, rock maple neck, ebony fretboard, jumbo stainless steel frets and 25.5”-27.8” scale. The hardware seems solid and outside of getting used to tuning at the bridge, I’ve had no issues with turning the “pegs”.

Coming from primarily a Les Paul and a 27” Shuriken Variax, this guitar is ridiculously small and light. I’m not completely sold on the rear jack plug but I’m sure I’ll adapt to it sooner than later. The neck feels comfortable and manageable with my little girl hands, even at the lower frets.

Sound wise, I did find I had to dial in a patch on my Helix, as opposed to using one of my existing ones but once I did, it can do the brootz for days and does well on the cleans. With the 5 way selector, I feel I can cover more than enough ground sonically. Pick up wise, it’s loaded with Ormsby’s Hot Rod in the bridge and Del La Crème in the neck. My previous 7 string was a Jackson Slat7 multi-scale loaded with EMG 808s and I do find that I prefer the pickups in the Ormsby. Particularly with the low B string, it just seems to have more clarity and definition. Granted, that could also be the patch I dialed in for it as well.

Overall, super happy with the purchase and hopefully this is the one that keeps me sticking with a 7 string.

Back