NGD - Strandberg Boden Standard NX6

“Correct technique “ is from classical playing and you simply won’t be able to play half the repertoire without it. It is different on electric as there is no conventional learning method and most people do it themselves. This is why the results are so different and people make unorthodox choices work. It’s a bit like musicians who don’t want to learn theory and still become good. I personally think we should learn the lessons of people who have studied this before. Imagine science if everyone insisted on figuring it all out for themselves. We would all still live in caves.

Science, sure. Art, no.

“Correct technique “ is from classical playing and you simply won’t be able to play half the repertoire without it. It is different on electric as there is no conventional learning method and most people do it themselves. This is why the results are so different and people make unorthodox choices work. It’s a bit like musicians who don’t want to learn theory and still become good. I personally think we should learn the lessons of people who have studied this before. Imagine science if everyone insisted on figuring it all out for themselves. We would all still live in caves.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the last part of your post, playing guitar is not science. It was unorthodox choices made over and over which led how the electric guitar is approached today. Even in science, there are a great many happy accidents leading to incredible discoveries purely because someone insisted on figuring it out themselves (i.e. testing a hypothesis). Imagine Leo not messing with a solidbody because why bother figuring it out himself. Imagine Hendrix not asking Roger Mayer to design boxes to hear the sounds he heard in his head as amps were designed to be played clean. Time after time though every era of music, it's the unorthodox minds pushing the envelope which drive the art. Those stuck looking back are rarely the ones history remembers.

Correct technique? :rofl

il_570xN.3601008409_isz3.jpg
That's what I'm talking about! As a kid I loved all the guys slinging their axes so low, but that just doesn't work for me. I can't play at all with a guitar worn like that, but many can kill it.

Count me as one of the Wizard hand-crampers. I loved RGs when I first started playing, but I had no frame of reference.
One day I tried a friend's Jackson Dinky and the neck was waaaay more comfortable for me. Should have bought a Dinky the next day, but I was stubborn. :hmm

If a neck is too thin then I feel like I need more thumb force to hold down chords and it gets fatiguing really quickly. Barre chords especially.
A thicker neck means I can use more of my hand to "brace" with and I don't need as much force. I don't have a death-grip on the guitar but it's still like night and day for me. Really thin and flat shreddy necks feel like playing a rake to me now.

Technique is not science. Nor is theory. An understanding of biomechanics/physiology may be helpful in assessing a technique that fails to allow someone to do what they want to do on the instrument, or in assessing why a person's technique is causing pain/discomfort.

Music theory is a post-script language used to describe (white western) art that has been made in the past. Which is not at all science.

I'm just coming up to a year of owning a Boden Original NX6 with Suhr p/ups. I use it in my band and it has replaced both a Les Paul and an EBMM Silhouette for live work. There are enough usable pickup combinations to get sounds that make sense and sit well in the band mix. I like it enough that I'm now considering trying a Classic to see how close it can get me to the SSS p/up configuration I've got on the Silo, with a eye to taking two Strandbergs out to gigs.

Things I don't like? The tuners feel a bit stiff if you turn the knobs with your fingers. They might need some sort of lubrication. If you tune using the multitool, it's fine. If you split the neck humbucker, the volume drop is quite noticeable.

That's it, really. Everything else is working really well for me.

Back