Suhr Reactive Load Vs Fractal Audio X-Load

Disabling the resonance limiting resistors in the X-Load brings us closer to the Suhr and an actual Cab, BUT, the resonance is still 90Hz which is not a very accurate tuning for a 4x12.
I remind that Suhr does not have limiting resistors either.

I don't know how safe it is yet with high wattage but I will torture test it with my Valveking, but Suhr doesn't seem to fry amps left and right, so my guess it will be alright.

X-Load mod.png

X-Load mod 2.png

Disabling the resonance limiting resistors in the X-Load brings us closer to the Suhr and an actual Cab, BUT, the resonance is still 90Hz which is not a very accurate tuning for a 4x12.
I remind that Suhr does not have limiting resistors either.

I don't know how safe it is yet with high wattage but I will torture test it with my Valveking.

View attachment 17346

View attachment 17347
Can you swap components out to adjust the resonance value to something more to your 412 liking?

Can you swap components out to adjust the resonance value to something more to your 412 liking?

Yes, easily, but out of respect to Fractal I am not going to post my traced schematic.
What I am going to do it un-wind the inductor until it resonates at 115Hz.

edit:
Hmm it's potted quite heavily.
I just can't get over the fact that the X-Load it tuned that way, 90Hz... WHY?

Last edited:
Okay I'm just going to leave it alone but keep the resonance limiter mod.
Lift this leg to remove the resonance limiter.

20240116_193221.jpg

Here's the sine sweep response through the Marshall 1987x FX Return at low volume (undistorted).
The amp is set to 16 and 8 ohm depending on the load, and the signal is tapped from the second speaker output jack into a DI.

Both are within 1dB of each other, I am pretty happy about that.
Though the resonance doesn't respond quite like a 4x12, the high frequency slope is very good.

X-Load mod 3.png

In Axe Edit, if I overlay the 4x12 Brit AX with the X-Load UK, I get this (image below), pretty much exactly what I see with the real measurement.
I think 1x12 cabs are more resonant (higher peak) than 4x12, though I'm not sure about that, I really need a 4x12.
FSIC.png

Last edited:
Got my hands on a Mesa Oversized 4x12 Straight cab and did a frequency response measurement, then stacked it alongside all the other loads and my other 2 cabs.

Frequency response plots of the following loads & cabs through the Ceriatone King Kong 100w FX Return:

- ORANGE ========> Red Seven Amp Central
- PURPLE ========> St. Rock React:IR
- BRIGHT-GREEN ========> Suhr Reactive Load
- RED ========> ENGL 1x12 cab
- DARK-GREEN ========> Mesa 2x12 Rectifier cab
- BLUE ========> Mesa Oversized Straight 4x12 cab

1706902509950.png

Pic updated with the legend.

Attachments

• 1706896229498.png
    1706896229498.png
    366 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
so react ir is more aggressively filtering top end, but closer to real thing at the bottom compared to suhr. intereting.

actually suhr follows 4x12 low slope better? just point is different

I mean I use cab switcher to switch different loads. sometimes useful as a workaround for fake 4 channel amps lile savage.

so react ir is more aggressively filtering top end, but closer to real thing at the bottom compared to suhr. intereting.

I mean I use cab switcher to switch different loads. sometimes useful as a workaround for fake 4 channel amps lile savage.
Yeah, connected to this power-amp, it does filter out more of the higher end content.
The Suhr, overall, does a pretty good job landing in between them. The Red Seven also has a good looking (lol - just reading what I had typed) curve.

I'd say the Red Seven ends up being a good compromise that should work for most cabs.

Cabs and loads tested through the Ceriatone Chupacabra 50W I got today:

- Mesa 2x12
- Mesa 4x12 OS Straight
- ENGL 1x12
- ReactIR
- ReactIR but hooked up to the THRU port on the Suhr Reactive load
- Suhr Reactive Load

What's interesting is the blue line on the plot which is the ReactIR going to the THRU port of the Suhr (this one's hooked to the Speaker port on the amp).

Looks like a lot more high-end content makes it through than if you were to run the Amp directly into the ReactIR.

1708360843979.jpeg

After a ton of research, I jumped to the Suhr RL (non-IR, OG version) after almost 2 decades of using the ol' THD HotPlate (hi Ed!).

I now use the Hotplate only for bench work or slaving amp to amp.

IIRC, Suhr tuned his RL to mimic a typical Greenback speaker's impedance curve.

The Suhr RL (non-IR, OG version) sounds great - I'll tap the line out and either go direct into my Apollo to DAW with software iRs (York, Celestion, Ownhammer, Two Notes Wall of Sound VST w DynIR etc), or go into my Two Notes CAB M+, then Apollo then DAW.

Back