Suhr Reactive Load Vs Fractal Audio X-Load

I've read from a number of users that the OG sounds better than the IR version. I can't imagine why but I trust the folks saying it.
They'll be the same on the non-IR port (the DI). The Suhr RL-IR has better impedance specs (lower) on the output. I'd go with that if money wasn't a concern.

I don't. I see no reason why this would be.

Found something that explains the differences. Sounds like buffered out vs non.?

1702910179572.png

Last edited:
They'll be the same on the non-IR port (the DI). The Suhr RL-IR has better impedance specs (lower) on the output. I'd go with that if money wasn't a concern.

Found something that explains the differences. Sounds like buffered out vs non.?

View attachment 15981

Yeah so if the main "unfiltered" output on the RL-IR is the same as the non-IR output, then I'm not too worried. That is the only one I use. I would recommend people buy the original model, but only to save a bit of money. I don't think the IR component is that bad, but it is a lot nicer being able to just run the IR's in the daw.

Yeah so if the main "unfiltered" output on the RL-IR is the same as the non-IR output, then I'm not too worried. That is the only one I use. I would recommend people buy the original model, but only to save a bit of money. I don't think the IR component is that bad, but it is a lot nicer being able to just run the IR's in the daw.
The problem with the original one is it has a high impedance on the XLR port; the far-end it's going into needs to be pretty high impedance to not distort.

Not just only money but a lot of hassle as well. Having such a wonderful reactive load that works with out a power brick is priceless in my opinion. Actually that is the only thing that has kept me from buying the RL IR.

I can take the OG RL anywhere and just use it.

Anyone has high resolution impedance measurements of the Fractal X-Load curve directly compared to Suhr RL?
Can't find good info about the Fractal X-Load on the internet.

Anyone has high resolution impedance measurements of the Fractal X-Load curve directly compared to Suhr RL?
Can't find good info about the Fractal X-Load on the internet.
Took me 5sec in google to find this:

@MirrorProfiles If you saved these graphs, do you mind posting what are the exact resonance frequencies of your 4x12 cabs and Suhr RL?
ie. 109Hz, 115Hz, 122Hz, etc.
In REW you can move the cursor over the peak and it will display the frequency.

I need it for THINGS (that I will share soon-ish). :censored:

@MirrorProfiles If you saved these graphs, do you mind posting what are the exact resonance frequencies of your 4x12 cabs and Suhr RL?
ie. 109Hz, 115Hz, 122Hz, etc.
In REW you can move the cursor over the peak and it will display the frequency.

I need it for THINGS (that I will share soon-ish). :censored:
Should have them still. The frequency of the peaks wouldn’t be influenced by the power amp used would it?

I am also very interested to see the frequemcy response of 16 Ohm 4x12 cabs compared to the Suhr RL 8 Ohm, from the respective amp output impedance taps of course.
Reason is, the 8 Ohm 4x12 cabs might have slightly less inductance than their equivalent 16 Ohm cabs, hence the 8 Ohm slope might start to rise later and have less high mid-range frequencies.
If I'm not mistaken, 16 Ohm Marshall cabs are far more common, I don't think you can buy a 8 Ohm Marshall cab today?

I am also very interested to see the frequemcy response of 16 Ohm 4x12 cabs compared to the Suhr RL 8 Ohm, from the respective amp output impedance taps of course.
Reason is, the 8 Ohm 4x12 cabs might have slightly less inductance than their equivalent 16 Ohm cabs, hence the 8 Ohm slope might start to rise later and have less high mid-range frequencies.
If I'm not mistaken, 16 Ohm Marshall cabs are far more common, I don't think you can buy a 8 Ohm Marshall cab today?
My Mode Four cab is 8 ohms.

My Egnater is 16ohms, and my JCM800 cab is 16 ohms too.

I also have the Suhr RL IR, which as you say, is 8 ohms.

Another piece of information;
I expect the rising slope of a single 16 Ohm speaker in a 1x12 to be equal to a 16 Ohm 4x12 wired in series+parallel with the same speaker type and impedance, inductors behave like resistors so the L value theoretically should remain the same, 16+16 || 16+16 = 16.
2x12 cabs on the other hand will have half the inductance of a single speaker when wired in parallel, and double the inductance when wired in series.
That's why I'm curious about how the 8 Ohm Suhr RL actual frequency response from the amp compares to a more widespread 16 Ohm Marshall cabs from the same amp.

Another piece of information;
I expect the rising slope of a single 16 Ohm speaker in a 1x12 to be equal to a 16 Ohm 4x12 wired in series+parallel with the same speaker type and impedance, inductors behave like resistors so the L value theoretically should remain the same, 16+16 || 16+16 = 16.
2x12 cabs on the other hand will have half the inductance of a single speaker when wired in parallel, and double the inductance when wired in series.
That's why I'm curious about how the 8 Ohm Suhr RL actual frequency response from the amp compares to a more widespread 16 Ohm Marshall cabs from the same amp.
Is this why 2x12's generally sound like total ass, but 1x12's can be OK?

Thank you @Deadpan !

If it's not too much to ask, can you please post the same images where the impedance scale on the left is the same?
I want to overlay the images in photoshop myself.

Edit: and without the phase plot.

Is this why 2x12's generally sound like total ass, but 1x12's can be OK?
Probably yes.
The inductance (mH) is either half or double the value of 4x12 or 1x12 cabs with the same speaker type.
The total RESISTANCE of a 2x12 can match a 4x12 but the inductance (mH) of the 8ohm speaker is not exactly half of the 16ohm speaker because different gauge wire is used to wind the motor, so the total inductance will not match.

Here I have my Reactive Dummy Load which I built that matches my 8ohm 2x12 Framus cab with two 16ohm Vintage 30 in parallel (white line), compared to my Woody 1x12 with just one 16ohm Vintage 30.
Two 16ohm Vintage 30 in parallel = half the inductance -> later slope rise.

*the blue line Vintage 30 is also 1x12.
Response.jpg

Back