Suhr Reactive Load Vs Fractal Audio X-Load

Deadpan

Shredder
Vendor
@JiveTurkey

A quick comparison of these two load boxes. Everything is the same in the setup for both. Monomyth modded Marshall 1987x slightly boosted with a Boss SD-1. Noise gate and IR loaded in the DAW.

Which do you prefer:

Note the Fractal needs power, either phantom or 9-24v 5amp.

MAYBE for this example I prefer the 2nd one (its a bit more rolled off on top). Which mode was this on the Fractal?

Would it be possible to do a test like this with some cabinet loads too as a reference?

I have 4 reactive load boxes (Driftwood/Suhr/React IR/Fryette), always been curious to try the Fractal but I've heard of a few people blowing theirs up. From what I can tell its slightly smoother than the Suhr? I find the Suhr seems to exaggerate 2k-6k in some amps, like the curve of the shelf is slightly lower than with real 4x12 cabs.

I just discovered the Krank Revolution (and im guessing Krankenstein) have no negative feedback, so are extremely sensitive to the load used. I actually quite like the Fryette load with those at it tames some of the excessive top end and allows you to dial in as much or as little as you like. Other amps can be less fussy, but IMO the best solution is to have a range of load responses (or if you are only using one amp, to try a few and see what you connect with most).

MAYBE for this example I prefer the 2nd one (its a bit more rolled off on top). Which mode was this on the Fractal?

Would it be possible to do a test like this with some cabinet loads too as a reference?

I have 4 reactive load boxes (Driftwood/Suhr/React IR/Fryette), always been curious to try the Fractal but I've heard of a few people blowing theirs up. From what I can tell its slightly smoother than the Suhr? I find the Suhr seems to exaggerate 2k-6k in some amps, like the curve of the shelf is slightly lower than with real 4x12 cabs.

I just discovered the Krank Revolution (and im guessing Krankenstein) have no negative feedback, so are extremely sensitive to the load used. I actually quite like the Fryette load with those at it tames some of the excessive top end and allows you to dial in as much or as little as you like. Other amps can be less fussy, but IMO the best solution is to have a range of load responses (or if you are only using one amp, to try a few and see what you connect with most).
I don't use loads much anymore due to the effect it has on the sound. I also feel there is an effect on the feel as well.

The Fractal does seem to have less highs in the clip but I don't see it as a positive. There is something else going on, kinda sounds like compression in the Fractal. Oh, mine blew also. My tech said there was almost NO thermal paste used.

X-Load was on the UK setting. I don't really hear a difference between the two settings though.

For this clip, all is the same except I connected a Mesa 2x12 with V30 and H30 to the through on the Suhr.

How do you like the Driftwood and React IR?

How do you like the Driftwood and React IR?
Waiting for the Driftwood to arrive, but it was strongly recommended by a friend who has the exact same load boxes as me (and has also owned Fractal and Boss TAE loads).

React IR is a little stiffer to me than the Suhr, the bass peak is a little wider and less resonant, and the high shelf is also a bit more subtle. Its a cool sounding load but I tend to use the Suhr most. If I find the Suhr too hyped, then the React IR is ideal. When I've tested, the React IR seems to sound very close to my V30 loaded 4x12's while the Suhr is almost dead on to the Greenback cabs. Its just that 2-6k area that sometimes sticks out with some amps when using the Suhr.

I agree that cab's area the ideal reference point, especially for making captures. With some amps (like the Krank) I think it can be an advantage to hear how it responds to different load types, and the convenience of load boxes generally has so many positives. If you can use the real thing though....

I couldn't pick a preference on the first clip. The second clip with the cab connected; I'd say I maybe prefer the first of the two clips? I'm listening through not ideal speakers and not as loud as I would like.

I couldn't pick a preference on the first clip. The second clip with the cab connected; I'd say I maybe prefer the first of the two clips? I'm listening through not ideal speakers and not as loud as I would like.
The second clip is to reference against the first two reamps.

After listening close it does seem the Fractal is closer to the real cab load I used.

It would definitely be tough to critically listen with non flat speakers as the differences are pretty small but not inconsequential.

Waiting for the Driftwood to arrive, but it was strongly recommended by a friend who has the exact same load boxes as me (and has also owned Fractal and Boss TAE loads).

React IR is a little stiffer to me than the Suhr, the bass peak is a little wider and less resonant, and the high shelf is also a bit more subtle. Its a cool sounding load but I tend to use the Suhr most. If I find the Suhr too hyped, then the React IR is ideal. When I've tested, the React IR seems to sound very close to my V30 loaded 4x12's while the Suhr is almost dead on to the Greenback cabs. Its just that 2-6k area that sometimes sticks out with some amps when using the Suhr.

I agree that cab's area the ideal reference point, especially for making captures. With some amps (like the Krank) I think it can be an advantage to hear how it responds to different load types, and the convenience of load boxes generally has so many positives. If you can use the real thing though....
Curious how the Driftwood works for you.

I have a few other loads like the TAE and OX Box but only briefly used them as loads. At one point I did the same Kemper profile using each one and gave out on the Kemper forum for feedback and everyone had different preferences.

I have a few other loads like the TAE and OX Box but only briefly used them as loads. At one point I did the same Kemper profile using each one and gave out on the Kemper forum for feedback and everyone had different preferences.
I’ll do some clips, I have an amp switcher on the way too so hopefully it’s all straightforward. I want to show it with different amps because the behaviours vary based on what you’re using it with.

I did this one ages ago, comparing the Suhr and React IR loads to about 10 cabs with a JCM800. Same IR throughout, just swapping loads:

For me the tone in these clips is so abrasive that I have a really hard time focusing on the differences. So IMO not the best tone for comparing, even though that would probably sound great in a mix.

With any loadbox it's always going to be a bit of a crapshoot whether it is a good match for the real cabs you like.

For example my Bluetone Loadbox maybe works a bit better than the Fryette Power Station's load when used with my Bluetone 4x10 cab because the Bluetone Loadbox is perhaps fashioned after the 4x10 (it was Bluetone's main test cab before I bought it).

The difference between good reactive loads is subtle and mostly felt rather than heard. They are a compromise compared to plugging direct to a real cab but until someone invents a better loadbox, they are good enough.

Only just arrived but instantly not digging it at all. Going to try a little more but pretty certain its going straight back. Feels quite nice under the fingers but the impedance curve shape isn't remotely close to a 4x12. Sounds really dark and thick in the low mids. I think people may find it satisfying to play because of the shape it produces but I specifically want a load box to replicate the response of a cab and this one......does not do that.
Mesa Trad + Suhr.png
Mesa Trad and React IR.png
Mesa Trad and Fryette.png
Mesa Trad and Driftwood.png
Marshall Suhr.png
Marshall React IR.png
Marshall Fryette.png
Marshall Driftwood.png

That doesn't look good for Driftwood and Fryette. The Suhr RL is still the best load box currently available.
Tbf, I think with the 2204 the Fryette looks OK. I think they may have purposefully designed it a little flatter, so when it goes into its own poweramp it’s not overly hyped from doubling up on poweramps. The Powerstation has additional presence and depth that can shape that interaction more if needed. The Fryette also allows you to adjust the impedance curve shape, and allows for different input impedances (that all have slightly different shapes).

But yeah the Driftwood….. it’s a much more simple unit so the focus should be a lot clearer. I guess accuracy wasn’t a concern as much as whether they liked it

I have the IR version and it's a great unit. (y)
I've neglected it lately using plugins instead so need to fire it back up.
I actually really like the original Suhr RL, but I did not like the IR version at all. They seem to have nailed the reactive load part, but every IR l played on it whether stock or one I installed just sounded bad on the one I had. Maybe it was just me, but I bought a new Suhr RL IR and was totally dissastified with the sound and returned the unit, however I love my original Suhr RL so much I sold off my other load boxes and only use that now.

I actually really like the original Suhr RL, but I did not like the IR version at all. They seem to have nailed the reactive load part, but every IR l played on it whether stock or one I installed just sounded bad on the one I had. Maybe it was just me, but I bought a new Suhr RL IR and was totally dissastified with the sound and returned the unit, however I love my original Suhr RL so much I sold off my other load boxes and only use that now.
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF by The Taboo Group

Told ya so!

I managed to get my hands on a Red7 Amp Central loaned to me from a buddy on the NAM group.
Shot some sine sweeps through the FX Return of my Ceriatone King Kong 100w and Ceriatone Molecular 50w using the Red7, Suhr RL and my 2 cabinets using the Through port on the Red7 (Mesa2x12 and ENGL1x12 both loaded with Mesa-spec V30s); the Molecular has a negative feedback pot called "Girth" and I did 3 permutations on it for each load.
When Ed has some time, we should be able to see how that Red7 stacks up.

Another friend (helping @2dor atm so can see how these loads affect his amp too) sent some curves of some of his load boxes, including the Suhr with the LPF. Red 7 looks OK, but probably not quite as accurate as the Suhr is to most 4x12 cabs (at least with this amp).

Sacha Loads.png

I also just tested the Driftwood again with the BE100. This is with the presence at 8, so I'd rather be able to lower the presence a bit than need to boost much more - got these results:

BE 100 loads.png

Back