Suhr Reactive Load is here. This thing is great.

JiveTurkey

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
Got the Suhr today. Talk about ROBUST build. Hats off to these guys. This thing is built like a tank and then some \m/

Tried with the Badlander with it and it was fine but was not blown away. I have come to the point where the BL is for gigs but I don't like recording with it.

The Stealth, OTOH; was FIRE. Ho-Ly-Fuck. I don't if it's the real load (vs faking it with headphones) and some actual IRs or what. But man; it LIKES what it sees and sounds great. Early year gear goal achieved :satan

You don’t like the Badlander because it’s too easy to make it sound perfect.
I'll always love the Badlander. Always. It works great as a loud gigging amp. This Stealth just immediately felt right with the impedance curve and some outboard IRs.
:satan:love:satan

Awesome, enjoy. But the only way to know for sure is to also grab a few more tube amps to test out.

Think Season 2 GIF by NBC

That's a bummer.

I don't know how Mesa gets theirs to work anyway. From what I can tell this is the load bearing part in the Badlander.

Compare that to the Suhr and I fell a lot safer using the Suhr. I remember John Suhr saying his would handle loads over 100 watts easily.

CAjetjw.png
That's just an inductor (coil).

Not familiar with that amp, but there's gotta be a power resistor and probably a capacitor in that load circuit.

That's a bummer.

I don't know how Mesa gets theirs to work anyway. From what I can tell this is the load bearing part in the Badlander.

Compare that to the Suhr and I fell a lot safer using the Suhr. I remember John Suhr saying his would handle loads over 100 watts easily.

CAjetjw.png
It is just an inductor. Rest of components are not visible. They are somewhere closer to rear panel ( resistors in golden paint). Digital part is from Two Notes ( basically IR player). What is interesting is how raw reactive load of Badlander sounds compared to Suhr. May be JT can bring light on it,

What is interesting is how raw reactive load of Badlander sounds compared to Suhr.
They really don't have a "sound".

The impedance curve not being correct causes the amp to "react" in a way that effects the feel/response.

The UA Ox box for example, has the impedance curve of a Fender twin. You run an amp into that and use IR's for say a Marshall 4x12 cab.. it ain't gonna sound or feel quite right.

They really don't have a "sound".

The impedance curve not being correct causes the amp to "react" in a way that effects the feel/response.

The UA Ox box for example, has the impedance curve of a Fender twin. You run an amp into that and use IR's for say a Marshall 4x12 cab.. it ain't gonna sound or feel quite right.
Are you sure? I think it have a “sound” flavor based on impedance curve. So again my question is what might be Mesa’s choice for the curve. And how that holds with Suhr. There is not that much info on the internet on that. I compared raw output of Mesa Mark VII raw out vs Suhr RLIR. But it was no way a scientific test unfortunately. So it is interesting to know what is happening there

Are you sure? I think it have a “sound” flavor based on impedance curve. So again my question is what might be Mesa’s choice for the curve. And how that holds with Suhr. There is not that much info on the internet on that. I compared raw output of Mesa Mark VII raw out vs Suhr RLIR. But it was no way a scientific test unfortunately. So it is interesting to know what is happening there
Yes.

There's a certain amount of energy traveling back from a speaker (or a cabinet of speakers, or a resistive and/or reactive load) into the amp's power section.

This has an effect on the way the amp feels, plays. The "sound" comes from the impulse responses the signal gets run thru after the load.

Got the Suhr today. Talk about ROBUST build. Hats off to these guys. This thing is built like a tank and then some \m/

Tried with the Badlander with it and it was fine but was not blown away. I have come to the point where the BL is for gigs but I don't like recording with it.

The Stealth, OTOH; was FIRE. Ho-Ly-Fuck. I don't if it's the real load (vs faking it with headphones) and some actual IRs or what. But man; it LIKES what it sees and sounds great. Early year gear goal achieved :satan
It’s interesting what you say because I love how my boogie mark III sounds with the two notes capture X load, but it’s not that great with the Suhr reactive load. I think this has something to do with the power section of the Mesas being so clean.

Congrats on your new gear.

Yes.

There's a certain amount of energy traveling back from a speaker (or a cabinet of speakers, or a resistive and/or reactive load) into the amp's power section.

This has an effect on the way the amp feels, plays. The "sound" comes from the impulse responses the signal gets run thru after the load.
Hm, it doesn’t feel like I understand. Need to go back to physics and do some refreshment/research. My current understanding (not pretending it is 100% true) is that current from amp can flow back only through the ground ( and if there is fault in the circuitry). Any way thanks.

I heard that negative feedback affects how an amp sounds through a load box. Could that be the difference maker for why one sounds great through it, but not so much the other?

Back