Suhr Reactive Load is here. This thing is great.

As long as we are gonna be mildly nerdy, does anyone know how you would go about fitting an RLC circuit to a known impedance curve? In other words, how you would pick values of components based on, say, your fave impedance curve in the Axe Fx?

It’s interesting what you say because I love how my boogie mark III sounds with the two notes capture X load, but it’s not that great with the Suhr reactive load. I think this has something to do with the power section of the Mesas being so clean.

Congrats on your new gear.
Oddly enough; the TwoNotes was the first load I got and did not like it at all. It was one of those open it up, test it and immediately drive it back to Kohls :whistle :rofl
damn, i was expecting clips
I had like a half hour to set it up and futz between the two amps. I will try my next Do Something Challenge with it and the Stealth :unsure:
Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems to me like it would affect "feel" and, to some degree, frequency response?
As long as we are gonna be mildly nerdy, does anyone know how you would go about fitting an RLC circuit to a known impedance curve? In other words, how you would pick values of components based on, say, your fave impedance curve in the Axe Fx?
Wayyyyyy out of my oscilloscope league on this. But something with a selectable reactive load would be awesome. I dig the 412 load that the Suhr has but it would also be cool to have a 112 or 212 option for amps that would normally see that kind of load in real speaker life :love
Its crazy how much this can impact ones enjoyment of a piece of gear.
For real. This thing is big and beefy in a way that you know it's quality :guiness

I've not exactly had that exact observation. Well, not exactly anyway.

<ducks inexactly>
Me neither. I had a JVM410H, a JVM410HJS (which I unfortunately sold) and a Suhr Reactive Load. The FM9 I have now sounds much darker than those amps. But apparently I must be an idiot, because everyone tells me how accurate Fractal's modeling is.

Suhr RL... when you realize your modeler sounds exactly like your multi-k$ amps. :oops:

Yes and no, in my case with Fractal I always have to tweak something in the deep parameters to make the amps feel like my real ones thru the SRL. They do not feel the same with the stock settings, but once I do that, it's redundancy.

Start with the impedance curve of the speaker cab you want to emulate.

Use a calculator to come up with the values in the "Resonance Circuit".

The "Dummy Load" values are determined by the amp your are using.

The "Treble Circuit" values don't need to change from what you see here.

60eifGo.png

Start with the impedance curve of the speaker cab you want to emulate.

Use a calculator to come up with the values in the "Resonance Circuit".

The "Dummy Load" values are determined by the amp your are using.

The "Treble Circuit" values don't need to change from what you see here.

60eifGo.png
is “dummy load values are determined by the amp” accurate, or should that be speaker? I assume those are put in parallel for power handling?

is “dummy load values are determined by the amp” accurate, or should that be speaker? I assume those are put in parallel for power handling?
Yes.

The amp you're using expects to see a particular load, let's say 8Ω, or 16Ω, or 4Ω .. you design the "Dummy Load" portion of the circuit based around this.. or you have a switchable circuit that can handle multiple loads.

Also, the power rating for the components is taken into consideration. A "100 watt" amp can peak at 280 watts.

your mileage may vary

Last edited:
I have it on good authority (Steve Vai) that is not the case.

:bag

:banana
You're talking about that one old, dad rock guitarist with freakish long fingers who can detect the difference between 1ms latency and 2ms latency?

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

(jokes, I do love Steve Vai to death)

It’s interesting what you say because I love how my boogie mark III sounds with the two notes capture X load, but it’s not that great with the Suhr reactive load. I think this has something to do with the power section of the Mesas being so clean.

Congrats on your new gear.
Two Notes = :Boo

I’ve tried several Two Notes products and even had a Revv amp with the Two Notes stuff but they always had issues either tone not being that good or noise issues. I’ll never try anything else from them or recommend them.

Back