St. Rock AMPERIUM LIVE

Yes you can... […]
1699212799594.jpeg

Yes you can...
But...
Amperium is based on schematic modeling. We must have full and detail schematic with all modes.
We have added what we can. If we will have something new in full technical details - we will add it.
Any thoughts on modeling fuzz pedals? That seems to be an issue for other modeling companies.

Any thoughts on modeling fuzz pedals? That seems to be an issue for other modeling companies.
The problem is we don't want to do something and call it with loud name.
Good emulation take more CPU power.
Emulating of fuzz or pedal with many opamps will take many CPU power.
But this CPU is needed for tube preamp yet. And it will be not enough.

Some of preamps (like 515x) take maximum CPU. And additional effects will be out of limits for CPU.
We understand all wishes but CPU is not rubber -)

The problem is we don't want to do something and call it with loud name.
Good emulation take more CPU power.
Emulating of fuzz or pedal with many opamps will take many CPU power.
But this CPU is needed for tube preamp yet. And it will be not enough.

Some of preamps (like 515x) take maximum CPU. And additional effects will be out of limits for CPU.
We understand all wishes but CPU is not rubber -)
Good to know! The preamps sound great so would rather those than a fuzz pedal.

Thanks for the info

Looking at the preamp list I imagine there is something for just about everyone in there.

The only models I would like to see added, are fx types. Especially more drives. Can’t have too many drive choices. Always on the hunt for just the right drive or booster for solos. EP booster / Fulltone Fat Boost come to mind.

Looking at the preamp list I imagine there is something for just about everyone in there.

The only models I would like to see added, are fx types. Especially more drives. Can’t have too many drive choices. Always on the hunt for just the right drive or booster for solos. EP booster / Fulltone Fat Boost come to mind.
In lieu of adding drive models (or in addition to adding drive models), being able to use an EQ (ideally parametric) as one of the blocks before the preamp would give a lot of tone-shaping options.

Fwiw, after taking a closer look and reading through the "manual" (which is really just a selection of screenshots with some descriptions), I gotta say that apart from the great sound, this unit isn't ready for prime time especially when playing live.

Pretty much each and every modeler on earth allows you to connect external pedals, so you can perform additional switching and control functions. None of this on the Amperium. So, should I want to add a volume pedal a a proper position, the only way would be to use a physical volume pedal and insert it in the loop. Also there's no way to add a wah at all, again you'd need a physical wah pedal.

Then, there's also no way to switch anything within a patch - something plenty of folks are doing all the time. So, even if your needs are rather modest and you only wanted to, say, switch a delay on/off within a patch (something so typical it's possible with pretty much any modeler for over 2 decades already), that's not possible. As a result, even such an extremely trivial thing requires you to save two patches already, which isn't too great as there's always only 4 patches exposed at once before you have to switch banks. Add an additional drive that you might want to switch and all possible combinations (4) will eat up your entire bank already.
And it's only getting worse should you want to change, say, the amp gain on the main patch the 4 patches are based on, because you will now have to do that 4 times instead of just once. Perhaps on an onboard UI offering pretty much no assistance in quick editing, to put it carefully.

Yeah, I hear you folks already, "booh, the local contrarian yet again" and what not. But take a moment and think about the things above. I'm sure you'll see how these (IMO massive) oversights could impact sales, at least as soon as it comes to live playing. See, as is, if I only had the choice between this and the rusty GT-10 to attend a gig, I'd rather use the GT-10, pretty much without wasting any thoughts even.
This might be a kickass unit for sound nerds, but it's likely the worst "all-in-one-modeler" recently released when it comes to live playing.
So, no, I'm not just the "local contarian", I'm simply pointing out some things - and in case the St. Rock folks consider coming up with further hardware modelers in the future, they may consider some of these things.

@Sascha Franck

You are great Sherlock. But volume pedal, wah, switching inside all is possible with midi.

Also you have not device and don't know that there are is copy\paste (whole bank or scene or block) and it's more fast and easy for disable\enable of something.
You need to setup something once. All other is just copy\paste.

Last edited:
You are great Sherlock.

I know.

But volume pedal, wah, switching inside all is possible with midi.

Which is becoming vastly more expensive compared to plugging in some EXP pedals/switches. And it'll as well become more cumbersome to program (fwiw, nowhere in the manual does it say anything about MIDI learn, a MIDI implementation chart is missing, too - so I gather that MIDI learn is as intuitive as it might get?).

Also you have not device and don't know that there are is copy\paste (whole bank or scene or block) and it's more fast and easy for disable\enable of something.

That does in no way make my raised points invalid. Just as it's completely irrelevant whether I own the device. Copy and paste don't all of a suddem add some switches along with patch modifying options.

Back