Speaking of Knaggs

Oh man, if it weren't for that fugly sparkle finish (I just hate sparkle...), that silverburst might be calling my name!

Also hate sparkle but after looking closer it's more light a silver splatter burst over black and not what I'd picture in my head for sparkle. I kinda like it with the blacks knobs and pickups.

chmxsbvabz2cre9kling.jpg

Also hate sparkle but after looking closer it's more light a silver splatter burst over black and not what I'd picture in my head for sparkle. I kinda like it with the blacks knobs and pickups.

View attachment 13941
No, the black hardware over silver is awesome! I love that part. It's why I bought my Silverburst LP back in the day, and then took the covers off the PU's.
I also don't like how it reflects off the PU rings- makes it look, to me, like a sloppy paint job.

And it's in the PU cavities too. :facepalm

Ok, I'm done. :rofl

Started the day on a 7 string bolt on multi-scale with SS frets, dual hot buckers and a floating trem. Also running a Shure GLXD.
As of the past few hours, and for the foreseeable future, it's going to be 100% set neck/fixed bridge/vintage PAFs with a 10 foot cable :giggle:. Lifelong LP player (almost went with Gibson instead of the Knaggs) so that's no biggie. AMAZING how much ya lean on the damn trem when that's all you're using. Forgot the art of the nice neck wrangle for chords and vibrato instead. Think it's WAYYY long past time to revisit some Gary Moore blues stuff.

First guitar I ever bought listed as "Minty Case Queen". It looked literally untouched coming out of the case!
Seller turns out to be a Knaggs nut and just had too many. Check the link below.

View attachment 13937

Seller:

DINO!

Truly a breathtaking guitar, congrats again!!!

I like that see through white one he has listed. @JiveTurkey should get it

Gibson did that transparent white a few years back and stopped...... because Gibson.

Yeah I had one of those Sig Ts. Awesome finish. And a killer value as well. I think I got mine on an end of year sale for like $1200? Theres been plenty of price hikes since then but they were still priced quite a bit lower than the standards of the same year. As far as I remember the only major difference was the granadillo fretboards :idk

What's the first thing you see a newer builder do when they take on the 3 per side LP style headstock? Straight string pull to eliminate the inevitable G string snag problem.

PRSTMSC245SBHeadstock_clipped-ea3520636d0854aa866cbfee851b2713.JPG

I was seriously concerned about this before pulling the trigger on the Kenai. Why would Joe K. choose to go traditional style rather than eliminate the issue like his peers (and mentor Paul Reed) had previously done?

dsc-2054_5f128075-4c83-458a-9613-011a2e167e4e.jpg

Here's the rub. The G-string snag only BECAME an issue when Gibson started getting lazy about cutting their nuts. I've got a bunch of hours on the Knaggs and have not had to touch the tuners once - and haven't felt a single one of those weird little 'pings' you'd get while bending when you knew you had a string catching. Ridiculously impressive!

What's the first thing you see a newer builder do when they take on the 3 per side LP style headstock? Straight string pull to eliminate the inevitable G string snag problem.

View attachment 14023

I was seriously concerned about this before pulling the trigger on the Kenai. Why would Joe K. choose to go traditional style rather than eliminate the issue like his peers (and mentor Paul Reed) had previously done?

View attachment 14024

Here's the rub. The G-string snag only BECAME an issue when Gibson started getting lazy about cutting their nuts. I've got a bunch of hours on the Knaggs and have not had to touch the tuners once - and haven't felt a single one of those weird little 'pings' you'd get while bending when you knew you had a string catching. Ridiculously impressive!
This it not true . The main reason Gibson has a problem staying in tune is the 17 degree angle headstock is far more than other companies use. Add poor stringing up practice and Grover ( backlash city) tuners and there’s you issues. I have never had to alter a Gibson nut slot to fix this problem. Al you need to do is wind the strings up the peg not down and tune UP to pitch.

@Eagle

Cut the nut right and the angles are irrelevant. Some LPs and now the Knaggs have provided proof for me.
FTR, got my first LP in 1974 and have been messing with them ever since. Also have a BSME if that counts for anything. (it doesn't)
Gibson knew what they wanted and there's any number of good old Les Pauls that prove it can be done right with a proper nut slot.

800px_COLOURBOX2890680.jpg

__static.gibson.com_product-images_USA_USAC69345_November_Burst_side-banner-640_480.png

Last edited:
@Eagle

Cut the nut right and the angles are irrelevant. Some LPs and now the Knaggs have provided proof for me.
FTR, got my first LP in 1974 and have been messing with them ever since. Also have a BSME if that counts for anything. (it doesn't)
Gibson knew what they wanted and there's any number of good old Les Pauls that prove it can be done right with a proper nut slot.

800px_COLOURBOX2890680.jpg

__static.gibson.com_product-images_USA_USAC69345_November_Burst_side-banner-640_480.png
You don’t bend strings on a violin and they are smooth. And you didn’t notice that your 70s LP has a 14degree head.

You don’t bend strings on a violin and they are smooth.

I've played numerous Les Pauls that had no G string issues. The Knaggs just confirms that the vintage/original design can most surely work with a properly slotted nut. That's just a plain fact.

You have two angels to mitigate on a Gibson head 1 the one to the side and the one over the nut . You need to make sure neither is too severe to ease tuning issues. Yes a bad nut will cause problems but 99%+ are fine. The way people put on string and tune is the difference between it working and not in almost all cases. 33 years full time tech. If that means anything to you.

I've played numerous Les Pauls that had no G string issues. The Knaggs just confirms that the vintage/original design can most surely work with a properly slotted nut. That's just a plain fact.
You aren’t reading the posts.

The way the strings or on affects the tuning stability and the number of wraps ( up or down) affects the angle and therefore the friction in the nut.

Back