Speaking of Knaggs

Nice find.

Wow!
Choptank-HT-HST-T1-302-Reverse-Wicked-Burst-Maple-Alder-Body-Maple-Neck-Maple-FB-w-Diamond-Inlays-Nickel-Hardware-Gloss@1050x1400.jpg
Sorry, that's a monstrosity. :rofl
Way too much going on with no real balance.

Re: Guitar Design in general

I own a Tom Anderson, the semi-hollow drop top thing. Got a (seemingly beautiful) quilted maple top with laquered-in pseudo bindings, in other words, pretty much the things to qualify for some serious guitar pr0n drooling. But one of the first things to cross my mind after I purchased it, was to have it re-laquered in whatever kind of opaque color. And I still thought about it again later on. Needed quite some years to make peace with this wooden nonsense.

Ok, now tell me those Knaggs guitars are beautiful!

To me the ones with the outlined different wood top or a pickguard don't look that great, but the ones that are more "traditional" look (solid color or flame/quilt maple top without any extras) pretty nice. No experience with the brand and at those prices, probably never will. At that price point there are certainly more attractive designs out there.

It's tricky to separate your designs from the pack while also not being a too close variation on Fender and Gibson archetype designs. Or being too out there that people consider your guitar design too controversial.

To me the ones with the outlined different wood top or a pickguard don't look that great, but the ones that are more "traditional" look (solid color or flame/quilt maple top without any extras) pretty nice. No experience with the brand and at those prices, probably never will. At that price point there are certainly more attractive designs out there.

It's tricky to separate your designs from the pack while also not being a too close variation on Fender and Gibson archetype designs. Or being too out there that people consider your guitar design too controversial.
It takes it too far but yes it is a fine line.

Yep, the binding outline through the top never looks quite right to me. It's almost like another guitar sitting on top.
I like the overall body shape though, and even the pickguard shape is different and kinda cool.

Yep, the binding outline through the top never looks quite right to me. It's almost like another guitar sitting on top.
I like the overall body shape though, and even the pickguard shape is different and kinda cool.
And that headstock?

I own a Tom Anderson, the semi-hollow drop top thing.
They make nice guitars. I saw a half dozen of them in person a couple of weeks ago at Lark Guitars. I’m pretty set in the Super Strat department at the moment, however was considering their 7 string Angel. Still leaning towards Ibanez or MusicMan in that area.

Last edited:
They make nice guitars. I saw a half dozen of them in person a couple of weeks ago at Lark Guitars. I’m pretty set in the Super Strat department at the moment, however was considering their 7 string Angel. Still leaning towards Ibanez or MusicMan in that area.

Seriously, in case you can do without the guitar pr0n aspect, I think it's a better idea to spend your money elsewhere but on an Anderson.
Sure, very decent parts and build quality, but in the end, I don't see anything that makes them special apart from the drooling over whatever wood and such. Ok, with mine, it's perhaps a little different, that semi-hollow character really shines through, regardless of what pickups I'm slamming in, so that might be something. But others than that... Ok, it could very well be that they considerably upped their game in some other aspects, too (no idea which those would be, though), but then, others have as well. Fwiw, on mine, the only 2 things still being original are body and neck. Every single other part has been exchanged (and IMO for the better).

20 years ago I jumped down the 'small luthier' rabbit hole. The used market was at it's all time ripest so buying and selling relatively rare brands was almost too easy. Got to spend serious quality time with D'Pergo, McInturff, Thorn, Briggs, Driskill, McNaught, Melancon, Suhr, Tyler, Anderson, (and a bunch I'm forgetting) as well as Gibson, Fender, and PRS custom shops. The p0rn/lust/woods/bling etc. stuff doesn't do a thing for me anymore. OD'd on Liberace guitars a long time ago.

And yet I can't get this used Kenai out of my brain!

1700158868936.png

Playability, sound and ergonomics even with perfect build can still be nothing fancy and that’s what matters to me.

20 years ago I jumped down the 'small luthier' rabbit hole. The used market was at it's all time ripest so buying and selling relatively rare brands was almost too easy. Got to spend serious quality time with D'Pergo, McInturff, Thorn, Briggs, Driskill, McNaught, Melancon, Suhr, Tyler, Anderson, (and a bunch I'm forgetting) as well as Gibson, Fender, and PRS custom shops. The p0rn/lust/woods/bling etc. stuff doesn't do a thing for me anymore. OD'd on Liberace guitars a long time ago.

And yet I can't get this used Kenai out of my brain!

View attachment 13806
I really like the looks of this. Just flashy enough but not too flashy where it ceases to be classy.

Back