SPARK 2 " A.I " Tone Creation ..... pretty damn impressive

BenIfin

Roadie
Hey all !

I'm slow on the uptake so this is new to me. The video below speaks for itself. The Spark 2 A.I feature lets you just type in a tone type you are looking for, and the Spark A.I BETA mode will create it for you - the Tony Iommi tone is f%cking bang on ! :)

Some are spot one .... some need further tweaking .... I've never seen a Modeler and A.I tech "joined" like this before .. and given this is the first iteration, and probably FW upgradable, it is already freaky good.

Ben

Last edited:
Just went back to this video to see if I wasn't stooging myself.... plugged it via my Matrix GT800 into my Celestion "FRFR" Cab .... turned it up to live really loud levels to get a real sense of what they sound like .... amazing ... in short ... clips in order as I hear them and rate them through my live rig:-

01 => Sabbath Tone -> 10/10
02 => Floyd Tone -> 9.0 / 10
03 => Queen B/R Tone -> 9.5/10
04 => Dream Theater Tone -> no idea about his tone
05 => AC/DC Tone-> 5/10 - needs tweaking as the mids aren't right

06 => Slash Tone -> 9/10
07 => John Mayer Tone -> 10/10
08 => Metallica Tone 9/10 -> but I am no Metallica Tone aficionado
09 => Van Halen 5/10 -> I am no Van Halen Tone expert but this needs tweaking as something weird is going on with the mids and low end
10 => Hendrix Watchtower -> 9/10 … Lead Tone is 10/10 but too much gain on the Rhythm

Stunning given they are all A.I BETA "made".

This is the first time I have thought that the big players ..... Fractal, L6, Boss, KPA are going to have to seriously look at and consider how they can implement A.I into their product development .... this is here now .... just imagine in 6 / 12 / 18 months time etc.... just how much more accurate and easier to use it is going to be.

Its early days [obviously] ......

...... but seriously ... just think about this for a minute ... you pair your phone ....type in "Tom Petty Jangly Rhythm Tone" or "Bryan Adams Summer of 69 Rhythm Tone" or "U2 Vertigo Guitar Tone" etc..... and a few seconds later, there's a very good chance you'll get something almost ideal or that might need a touch / bit of tweaking.

Less tweaking ..... more playing .... the holy grail !

Anyway ... just my 2c worth.

Ben "no I dont have any shares in Positive Grid" Ifin

Last edited:
I mean seriously ... just think about this for a minute ... you pair your phone ....type in "Tom Petty Jangly Rhythm Tone" or "Bryan Adams Summer of 69 Rhythm Tone" or "U2 Vertigo Guitar Tone" etc..... and a few seconds later, there's a very good chance you'll get something almost ideal or that might need a touch / bit of tweaking.

Sounds awesome for anybody that needs to get set up ASAP with no desire to deep-dive into heaps of knobs / dials.

Will have a look at this for sure.

Just went back to this video to see if I wasn't stooging myself.... plugged it via my Matrix GT800 into my Celestion ""FRFR"" Cab .... turned it up to live really loud levels to get a real sense of what they sound like .... amazing ... in short ... clips in order as I hear them and rate them through my live rig:-

06 => Slash Tone -> 9/10
09 => Van Halen 5/10 -> I am no Van Halen Tone expert but this needs tweaking as something weird is going on with the mids and low end
10 => Hendrix Watchtower -> 9/10 … Lead Tone is 10/10 but too much gain on the Rhythm

Stunning given they are all A.I "made".

This is the first time I have thought that the big players ..... Fractal, L6, Boss, KPA are going to have to seriously look at and consider how they can implement A.I into their product development .... this is here now .... just imagine in 6 / 12 / 18 months time etc.... just how much more accurate and easier to use it is going to be.

I mean seriously ... just think about this for a minute ... you pair your phone ....type in "Tom Petty Jangly Rhythm Tone" or "Bryan Adams Summer of 69 Rhythm Tone" or "U2 Vertigo Guitar Tone" etc..... and a few seconds later, there's a very good chance you'll get something almost ideal or that might need a touch / bit of tweaking.

Anyway ... just my 2c worth.

Ben "no I dont have any shares in Positive Grid" Ifin
I totally agree... the big brands are being left behind in this area.

Sounds awesome for anybody that needs to get set up ASAP with no desire to deep-dive into heaps of knobs / dials.

Will have a look at this for sure.

^^ Yep ...... deep-diving is fun for about 5 mins when putting together a sound, but after that, its a massive freakin' p.i.t.a ..... I just want the tone so I can play ... why would I want to waste time tweaking and deep diving for hours / days etc..... if I can get an A.I to deliver me what I want in seconds and it sounds pretty much exactly like what I want / can hear in my head (?)

I'm not at all interested in this as a practice amp ...... -BUT- ..... if they released a Floor Unit with some FSW's, Midi and a few more efx ..... I'd be all over it in a heartbeat ..... with all my Axe's, Kempers, Boss's, Helix's etc.... and now FM3 .... I have only ever used 4 presets plus 4 on/off Stomp EFX :)

As I said above ... its very early days ..... but I.m.h.o .... this is a masterful and musical way of marrying A.I to modeler tone building ... and it *seems* to already be working fantastically.

Worth noting too that this A.I preset making feature is still in BETA mode.

Ben

Last edited:
Today through AI with 30 seconds of my voice, I can clone it... just imagine your modeler on your laptop making clones of the tones of your favorite artists from even an mp3 file... tremendous toy for everyone who doesn't like creating presets

Today through AI with 30 seconds of my voice, I can clone it... just imagine your modeler on your laptop making clones of the tones of your favorite artists from even an mp3 file... tremendous toy for everyone who doesn't like creating presets

^^ Yep ..... but actually the real beauty is you don't need any wav or mp3 or audio of any kind .... presumably (?) the spark A.I Beta is being trained on a very wide range of guitar tones so it just uses your text commands and then grabs the "best fitting" amp and efx and cab to "make" the sound you asked it to ... and presumably [again] like any A.I - its still in BETA mode - as its training database grows, the even better the results get.

Ben

Last edited:
What if I don't want (let alone need) any famous guitar tone? Does the Spark AI also understand my wishes for "Mr. Francks signature hairy rhythm tone"?

What if I don't want (let alone need) any famous guitar tone? Does the Spark AI also understand my wishes for "Mr. Francks signature hairy rhythm tone"?

Well .... you never now ;) .... if "Mr. Francks signature hairy rhythm tone" is in their A.I Database ... you got it :) :)

Ben

Very cool product IMO
Nuno tone was impressive for such a small amp
New looper is a killer creative tool
I bet Digital Igloo screams an obscenity when he sees this and thinks “it could have been us “

Just went back to this video to see if I wasn't stooging myself.... plugged it via my Matrix GT800 into my Celestion ""FRFR"" Cab .... turned it up to live really loud levels to get a real sense of what they sound like .... amazing ... in short ... clips in order as I hear them and rate them through my live rig:-

06 => Slash Tone -> 9/10
To me the DT was sorta in the ballpark though recommending a Rectifier instead of a Mark/Triaxis (if they even have one) is obviously wrong.

To me the Sabbath, Floyd and Queen were the most impressive ones and the others were a very mixed bag. The AC/DC rhythm tone was not good but the lead was sort of in the right direction.

Stunning given they are all A.I BETA "made".

Amps like the Spark are aimed at the more beginner group. These are the ones likely to look for 3rd party presets and want AI generated presets of their favorite songs.

The brands you mention generally target the more professional player that will build their presets themselves, even if they are also popular with us hobbyists.

I'm not sure how e.g copyrights and use of songs for training data plays out here either. The video does not show if you can just input say "Metallica Enter Sandman" into it and get the right tone, the video doesn't really show anything but a more generic wording to get the Black Sabbath tone.

Maybe e.g wedding/cover bands could make use of a feature like this, but for everyone else it's unlikely to be that useful.

It's AI, it will teach itself, kill you, and play whatever tone it wants!:rofl
terminator-schwarzenegger.jpg

Back