Some interesting news from Kemper (Profiler Player)

A thought

=> has anyone else been struck / surprised that so far no-one has hacked the Tonex Pedal Firmware to allow it to load full NAM Captures (?)

Some Comments

=> for Static "Capturing" -again- there is no objective debate .... it is NAM -> Tonex -> Kemper .... NAM and Tonex are extremely close ... and Kemper is a bit further behind.

=> none of this is suggesting or implying one is better or worse for your ears / hands

=> however if accuracy is your goal ... then in software its NAM and in Hardware its Tonex ...period

Ben

What if it had controls that would allow you to dial a gainy marshall sound to a fendry clean?
Some idiots won the “this is true“ race on the internet…and now peeps believe profiles are static things with limited tweakability…it’s utter bs…dial the amp parameters and tell me I’m wrong….
Same idiots gained up a clean profile…sounded bad…and concluded the gain knob didn’t function. Try boasting your clean sound of your tube amp with 20db and see if it makes you happy…

Didn’t they make Liquid Profiles to combat exactly this? And people on the internet don’t change how Mesa knobs work on a Mark amp. A huge, huge part of the reason I went with Fractal is because of that specific thing. From all accounts I’ve heard, Kemper’s tone controls act far more like post-EQ in a recording than actual amp knobs and if Liquid Profiles just do a ‘general sense’ of an amp and not every actual amp, that’s not nearly enough for me to want to drop my entire workflow/experience of already getting exactly what I want from my Fractal stuff.

A thought

=> has anyone else been struck / surprised that so far no-one has hacked the Tonex Pedal Firmware to allow it to load full NAM Captures (?)

Some Comments

=> for Static "Capturing" -again- there is no objective debate .... it is NAM -> Tonex -> Kemper .... NAM and Tonex are extremely close ... and Kemper is a bit further behind.

=> none of this is suggesting or implying one is better or worse for your ears / hands

=> however if accuracy is your goal ... then in software its NAM and in Hardware its Tonex ...period

Ben
Though I haven't used NAM much I hear that studio captures are less accurate than Tonex.

Last edited:
Thats why Fractal Audio Systems is the indisputable king in the Amp Modeling realm. They never stop evolving.
I C AN AGREE
Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

Didn’t they make Liquid Profiles to combat exactly this? And people on the internet don’t change how Mesa knobs work on a Mark amp. A huge, huge part of the reason I went with Fractal is because of that specific thing. From all accounts I’ve heard, Kemper’s tone controls act far more like post-EQ in a recording than actual amp knobs and if Liquid Profiles just do a ‘general sense’ of an amp and not every actual amp, that’s not nearly enough for me to want to drop my entire workflow/experience of already getting exactly what I want from my Fractal stuff.
There are like 40 Liquid tone stacks that effect the profile remarkably similar to the real amps. You can even use the tone stacks with the wrong amps which is fun.

The best part is the gain acts like the amp.

Didn’t they make Liquid Profiles to combat exactly this?
Nope…LP is there to make the tonestack behave like a certain amp, that’s it.
Without it, you can still tweak a profile from the sun to the moon..just not exactly in a fashion that would be possible with the original. So not less…just different.
You can set the tone stack pre or post…whatever you desire..

Last edited:
Is the capture process easier to deal with than ToneX’s undergained issues?
If you know what you're doing and have the equipment, then it is pretty similar. There is an audio file that you reamp through your amp. You take whatever signal from the amp, and record it in the DAW - making sure it is perfectly lined up with the reamp file.

Then you export the recording.

From there, you can run the training algorithm; there is a handy UI app for it too.

There's a cheeky bonus here, because you can do all of your recording in one pass, and then batch train everything later on. You can't do that with ToneX.

And NAM sounds better than ToneX. But I do really like the ToneX captures I did.

This gets a big yawn from me because it lacks innovation. So it basically lets you play Kemper profiles in (yet another) 3-button pedal.

Where is the killer app?

If you know what you're doing and have the equipment, then it is pretty similar. There is an audio file that you reamp through your amp. You take whatever signal from the amp, and record it in the DAW - making sure it is perfectly lined up with the reamp file.

Then you export the recording.

From there, you can run the training algorithm; there is a handy UI app for it too.

There's a cheeky bonus here, because you can do all of your recording in one pass, and then batch train everything later on. You can't do that with ToneX.

And NAM sounds better than ToneX. But I do really like the ToneX captures I did.
I haven’t played with ToneX in awhile; it was aggravating when I tried with the Badlander and Orange, in that almost everything was undergained. Weirdly enough, the best ToneX cap I did was the one of the Triple Crown 100 model on the FM9, using all in the box routing.

This gets a big yawn from me because it lacks innovation. So it basically lets you play Kemper profiles in (yet another) 3-button pedal.

Where is the killer app?
To play devil’s advocate (even though I’m not really a big fan of Kemper) I don’t really have a problem with the idea of them coming out with a compact player, to further profit from their technology. The size fits a niche. I just don’t think the end result is something I’d ever buy, even if I had a toaster or Stage.

… my #1 problem with profiling/capturing, regardless of whether you like a particular one or not: it makes you dependent on others for tone.

It makes complete sense in the aspect of “I want to take this tone I get from this amp everywhere”,

And there you have it ^^^. Profiling/capturing has given me what modeling could not (yet): a digital version of my real amp that was easy to do and sounds/feels great. No dependence on others involved. I'll gladly take that over 300+ models of other amps that are fun to try but in the end, I don't like as much as my own amp.

Back