Some interesting news from Kemper (Profiler Player)

Can we all agree, regardless of whether or not we like the Kemper shit, that HW is more than a little douchey? Can we?
He has his YT Personality and while I can see the annoyance, he does offer a ton of profiles. Now I'm honestly not a huge fan of them but the amount of time (and assuming money) that went into making those is probably pretty high.

He has his persona and sticks to it. Id doubt he acts like that irl.

But I totally get what you are saying

He has his YT Personality and while I can see the annoyance, he does offer a ton of profiles. Now I'm honestly not a huge fan of them but the amount of time (and assuming money) that went into making those is probably pretty high.

He has his persona and sticks to it. Id doubt he acts like that irl.

But I totally get what you are saying
I’m voting with my dollar. IF I ever buy any ToneX caps, it’ll be from someone else. I’ll only change my mind if he tones it down and stops wearing Hawaiian shirts all the time.

So, I watched that whole Player preset video, and it honestly highlights my #1 problem with profiling/capturing, regardless of whether you like a particular one or not: it makes you dependent on others for tone. This is the case even more so with the Player, since it doesn't capture.

On a modeler, if you don't like the stock presets, so what? Read the manual, and get to work.

On a capture/profile device, get to work! Oh wait, you need access to great tube amps that fit your style, you need mics, you need all the recording stuff, ideally. Or, you're stuck finding diamonds in the rough for free captures, or you're paying $10-$40 a pop for capture packs. Suddenly, that $700 Player is $1000. Or more.

I hope to god modelers never go away, if we're to live in a completely digital world. Because as capture/profiling stands currently, it's not there in terms of flexibility.

So, I watched that whole Player preset video, and it honestly highlights my #1 problem with profiling/capturing, regardless of whether you like a particular one or not: it makes you dependent on others for tone. This is the case even more so with the Player, since it doesn't capture.

On a modeler, if you don't like the stock presets, so what? Read the manual, and get to work.

On a capture/profile device, get to work! Oh wait, you need access to great tube amps that fit your style, you need mics, you need all the recording stuff, ideally. Or, you're stuck finding diamonds in the rough for free captures, or you're paying $10-$40 a pop for capture packs. Suddenly, that $700 Player is $1000. Or more.

I hope to god modelers never go away, if we're to live in a completely digital world. Because as capture/profiling stands currently, it's not there in terms of flexibility.
good point but aren't you working for a Mesa dealer? 😂 So access to your fave amps shouldn't be too hard.

For me the basic reason why I got Tonex was to capture my own stuff, plus what I don't have and am interested in friends have.

In practice, I found just running it with a real cab, or subbing in my preferred IR were enough.

This is exactly why I’ve always looked at profiling with a bit of a cocked head. It makes complete sense in the aspect of “I want to take this tone I get from this amp everywhere”, but from the use case of not having any amps to profile of your own and relying on others, I get a massive ‘itch I can’t scratch” vibe from it. My very brief experience with the ToneX software and the profile search just completely turned me off from it all.

This is exactly why I’ve always looked at profiling with a bit of a cocked head. It makes complete sense in the aspect of “I want to take this tone I get from this amp everywhere”, but from the use case of not having any amps to profile of your own and relying on others, I get a massive ‘itch I can’t scratch” vibe from it. My very brief experience with the ToneX software and the profile search just completely turned me off from it all.
It has saved my booty a few times in the studio. But generally I agree. I think ultimately, I'd rather have a proper full on model of an amp.

What if it had controls that would allow you to dial a gainy marshall sound to a fendry clean?
Some idiots won the “this is true“ race on the internet…and now peeps believe profiles are static things with limited tweakability…it’s utter bs…dial the amp parameters and tell me I’m wrong….
Same idiots gained up a clean profile…sounded bad…and concluded the gain knob didn’t function. Try boasting your clean sound of your tube amp with 20db and see if it makes you happy…

Back