So is this Peavey made in the USA?

FAKA!

Roadie
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SYN-6505--synergy-peavey-6505-2-channel-preamp-module

1680594833554.png

Dumb statement maybe but just for a little more can't you buy a used 6505 amp head? Obviously form factor is a thing but once you add in a power amp it doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

If I recall the other modules are of amps that are quite expensive but I haven't done too much research

Dumb statement maybe but just for a little more can't you buy a used 6505 amp head? Obviously form factor is a thing but once you add in a power amp it doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

The point of Synergy isn’t to buy a budget version of the amp. You’re always better off buying a “grail” amp if you have one. But if you’re pairing this with say the SLO, BE, 800, IIC modules etc, you can quickly see the appeal and where the costs start to offset. It’s def not a budget rig though, especially if you’re buying it for one or two specific amps. (In which case you should just buy the amp)

If I recall the other modules are of amps that are quite expensive but I haven't done too much research
Once you’re into the Synergy system, you basically get new high-end amps for $400 or less each time. The big purchase is the power amp and the module dock, some of which can be mitigated if you just buy the 1 slot dock and run it with an existing amp’s effects loop. As someone with a full Synergy system, it’s really nice to have the flexibility of just swapping in and out modules for completely different tones. Plus I don’t think there has ever been a rackmount 5150, so this is great for touring artists or those that like playing out of a rack. Opeth, Vai, Arch Enemy, etc., are using these now and sound amazing live.

My question is, if you remove the power amp from an actual 6505, are you left with a similar circuit to the Synergy module?

How close are these modules to the actual amplifiers that they supposedly replicate?

My question is, if you remove the power amp from an actual 6505, are you left with a similar circuit to the Synergy module?

How close are these modules to the actual amplifiers that they supposedly replicate?
I think a good amount get approval from the amp makers so I imagine very close?

That's a GREAT question and what causes some hesitation for me. The system is basically an "all the tones are in the
preamp and the power amp has no role" implementation. :idk

Unless they are somehow baking EL34s into some of the modules.

In most instances these are identical preamps to the actual amps, and the majority of them were made by the actual amp designer. In instances where there amp designer wasn’t directly involved, it’s guys like Friedman designing it. Like the IIC module, it was made by Steve Fryette.

I owned an SLO amp, and the Synergy module absolutely nails it. You’d be very hard pressed to find a meaningful difference, but it makes sense, Mike made the Synergy module for it.

Even back when the first design was the Egnater M4, the modules were good. I used to run it into my VHT 2/50/2- I think it's even better now, with a wider selection of amps.

Even back when the first design was the Egnater M4, the modules were good. I used to run it into my VHT 2/50/2- I think it's even better now, with a wider selection of amps.
I had an Egnater MOD50 with s matching 1x12 vented cabinet for a hot minute, back in the day. I wasn’t overly impressed with the higher gain modules. Although I never tried the Randall ones which were fairly popular.

I have a Synergy rig and I've made some comparisons against the actual amps. For example, running the Synergy BE module into the power amp of my Friedman Runt 50, the 2 sounded identical. I also tried running the Uberschall module into the power section of my friends Uberschall. Again, identical.

So if you can have the right power amp section, they're virtually identical. But obviously if you had to buy every amp, that defeats the purpose of the Synergy system, which is to have all these different modules running into the same rig.

So when you're running different modules into the same power section, they're not going to be exact, because the power section of each amp is a big part of their tone.

In that capacity, the best analogy I can make for the Synergy system is that it's a bit like ice-cream. Eating strawberry ice-cream is not the same thing as eating strawberries. But the flavor is there. Same with the Synergy system: you get all these different flavors you can use on your rig and you also get the unique character of your rig. It's not the same as having all the different amps but it's not the same as having a regular amp with fixed channels either. It is by far the most versatile system you can buy without going digital.

I just ordered one... Ironically I was going to order from sweetwater but usually I have to contact my SW rep for free shipping to Hawaii... I get home and SW sold out lol. So I went straight to the synergyamps website and was able to buy it straight from them/BAD with free shipping. I'm actually kinda looking forward to running it thru KT88's and everything else under the sun.

Back