So is this Peavey made in the USA?

I'd say, most if not all of the Synergy preamp modules' original power sections are very similar, as far as their topology is concerned.
But many of the original power stages have different feedback levels, and/or corner frequencies of the presence and resonance circuits.
I could imagine, that the respective preamp designer might have tried to compensate for that a little in their designs, if necessary. This would show, when you compare the preamp module + synergy power stage to plugging this 6505 module + SYN 1 into the FX return of a 6505 head.

Also, AFAIK, the Synergy housings or amps have the first tube stage inside, and this can have quite a huge influence. I don't know, if there's anything on the SYN housing/SYN amp PCB and the modules to adapt things a little.

With all that said: I have no experience at all with the Synergy system apart from having played the Diezel and Friedman modules in conjunction with an old Randall RM4 :grin

Also, AFAIK, the Synergy housings or amps have the first tube stage inside, and this can have quite a huge influence. I don't know, if there's anything on the SYN housing/SYN amp PCB and the modules to adapt things a little.
Yeah, that is what the three way switch that is on the board of all the preamps is for... there is a cathode select swicth to control the input. they default it it for the module based on the module type but you can play around with it if you want to tweak/experiment.

Out of all the amps/models/modules, (of every technology), the 5150, (and some kind of lower gain/crunch variant), seems to be my jam, so, this has me intrigued. Furthermore, I just plugged my Rockmaster preamp into my ADA GCS3 cab sim, into IEMs, and it sounds great, of course.

My Two Notes Revolt should be arriving tomorrow, so between that, the Rockmaster, or maybe this 6505, I could see a smaller, tube-based direct rig in my future.

Bikini Bottom Water GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
Well I've done and did it. Syn2, ultralead, and slo modules on the way. Plan on throwing it in my 4u rack with the Axe Fx for effects with also the obvious models. Should make for a tasty rig I think. Have a (kinda) analog rig and also digital in one unit.

I was toying doing the 6505 and Uber but man the Slo clips slap and I thought it may be wise to do a model that isn't in the fractal world (but also seems highly regarded)

Well I guess I don't need the Slo module now... I was going to get one eventually but I don't really see the point now.
SLO's are sort of like Vox to me, I like hearing other people play them, but don't quite like the results when I do.

The one exception with the SLO is really driving it through some T75 speakers in a 4x12 then it gets pretty damn chuggy and sounds pretty decent but only a one trick pony in my hands. It's a pretty good trick but I can get the same results in spades with other choices.

Pete does his usual great demo and also throws in a nice comparison to the SLO module:

Gah... I want one...

I made the mistake of watching Pete’s demo. If I ever decide to get back into the modular preamps again, this will be the first module I purchase. That thing rips!

I'm definitely interested in this module but I still haven't decided if I'm keeping my Synergy rig. I have a new power amp coming in this week (Mesa 2:fifty) and that's going to be the deciding factor. So I'm avoiding making any more Synergy purchases until I decide whether I'm keeping it or not

I'm definitely interested in this module but I still haven't decided if I'm keeping my Synergy rig. I have a new power amp coming in this week (Mesa 2:fifty) and that's going to be the deciding factor. So I'm avoiding making any more Synergy purchases until I decide whether I'm keeping it or not
I thought you were set with the Palmer?

I thought you were set with the Palmer?
Set??? Are you new to forums? :rofl

Jk man... yes I'm happy with the Palmer but you know how it is... had to try out a big tube power amp.

I'm still on the fence on the Synergy gear. I like the versatility but honestly every time I A/B it against my regular heads, I prefer the amps.. But I've done racks before and I know it can take a while to get the full hang of this type of rig so I'm not giving up on it just yet.

Set??? Are you new to forums? :rofl

Jk man... yes I'm happy with the Palmer but you know how it is... had to try out a big tube power amp.

I'm still on the fence on the Synergy gear. I like the versatility but honestly every time I A/B it against my regular heads, I prefer the amps.. But I've done racks before and I know it can take a while to get the full hang of this type of rig so I'm not giving up on it just yet.
Haha, yeah that was a rather silly question I suppose.

Like, I'm keeping the Amped 1 because it's a no-brainer upgrade over the SD Powerstage, but I still would like a tube poweramp solution for it at some point. But I love the modules. When I run them through my 5153 they sound perfect, better than the preamp stages in that amp. So they are staying and i will build around them when I can.

Haha, yeah that was a rather silly question I suppose.

Like, I'm keeping the Amped 1 because it's a no-brainer upgrade over the SD Powerstage, but I still would like a tube poweramp solution for it at some point. But I love the modules. When I run them through my 5153 they sound perfect, better than the preamp stages in that amp. So they are staying and i will build around them when I can.
Yeah I'm on the same boat honestly. I'm perfectly happy with the Palmer as a great sounding, lightweight solution and I have a number of amps I can use for a tube power section.

BUT curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to try a "proper" stereo power amp and I found a sweet deal on the Mesa so I decided to give it a shot. It should be here on Wednesday.

I think my biggest challenge with this rig so far it's been gain staging. Meaning, setting channels volumes vs Syn2 master volume vs power amp volume. There are different ways to adjust these levels to achieve the same volume but they all feel/sound different. So I'm still working on that. And given that I can't play loud anywhere but at band practice and I don't really want to fiddling with the rack at practice, it's been a slow process to get this dialed in and most of the time I just end up switching to one of my heads and going with it.
But to be fair, that's the process with any rack system I've had . It's always taken longer to get dialed in but once it's done they make the show a lot easier with presets, easy setup etc.
So that's the trade-off, I guess... more work upfront with a rack(dialing, programming) vs more work onstage with amps (pedal dancing, long cable runs etc)...

The branding 6505 brings nostalgia for sure.

Has everyone tried the Uber module? I am truly amazed with the Uber.

Both channels are quite different and bring the goods.

So I got the 6505 module Saturday and got to mess with it for a few hours. I think its pretty kick ass. Setup was 6505/Syn1 -> PS100 -> Suhr RL -> RME UCX/Reaper -> STL Libra IR loader -> York bogner IRs. Sounds super chuggy AF boosted too.

So I got the 6505 module Saturday and got to mess with it for a few hours. I think its pretty kick ass. Setup was 6505/Syn1 -> PS100 -> Suhr RL -> RME UCX/Reaper -> STL Libra IR loader -> York bogner IRs. Sounds super chuggy AF boosted too.
I was surprised how chunky it sounded unboosted, but adding your favourite boost in front really is monstrous!

Last edited:
Yeah I'm on the same boat honestly. I'm perfectly happy with the Palmer as a great sounding, lightweight solution and I have a number of amps I can use for a tube power section.

BUT curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to try a "proper" stereo power amp and I found a sweet deal on the Mesa so I decided to give it a shot. It should be here on Wednesday.

I think my biggest challenge with this rig so far it's been gain staging. Meaning, setting channels volumes vs Syn2 master volume vs power amp volume. There are different ways to adjust these levels to achieve the same volume but they all feel/sound different. So I'm still working on that. And given that I can't play loud anywhere but at band practice and I don't really want to fiddling with the rack at practice, it's been a slow process to get this dialed in and most of the time I just end up switching to one of my heads and going with it.
But to be fair, that's the process with any rack system I've had . It's always taken longer to get dialed in but once it's done they make the show a lot easier with presets, easy setup etc.
So that's the trade-off, I guess... more work upfront with a rack(dialing, programming) vs more work onstage with amps (pedal dancing, long cable runs etc)...
I'm still curious on that Palmer. I have no need for it so I can't justify tricking myself into buying one from Thomann :rofl If you decide you want to get rid of it and have a strange urge to trade for an Eventide Micropitch; hit me up :grin

I had the Eventide Micropitch and it was not a huge fan.
I love micropitch but I don't think Eventide did a great job on that pedal.

I don't think the Palmer is worth selling. For how good it is and how little it costs, it's definitely a keeper.

Reactions: JT
Back